What was your breaking point?

Options
13»

Replies

• pixied12
    pixied12 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My breaking point was when both of my parents were diagnosed with diabetes. My Sister was first to be diagnosed, then my Dad, and then my Mom. I knew that the path I was taking wasn't good for me, so I made a decision to loose the weight. And I look good!!!! And hot too!!!!!
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    Oh, I want to add that I was adopted. I'm closing in on 30 with no idea what my biological family medical history looks like. That kinda scares me. So yeah, that on top of being rejected a lot, equals me trying to get in shape.
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Diabetes
    Heart attacks
    352 pounds at 22...

None of that did it for me.
    When I left my partner because I thought I was ugly...I started dropping really fast. Granted I've been trying my whole life....

But that was the breaking point, where I felt so bad about myself I didn't even think I deserved to be happy. :/
    Now I'm 215! :)
  • Nola4
    Nola4 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    When I realized ALL I EVER WEAR ARE LEGGINGS!!!!
  • MyProgressISYour1Proof
    Options
    My health started declining real fast after my mom's passing so when they said lose weight or lose your liver, I knew it was time
  • sarantonio
    sarantonio Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Mine was reverse. I had lost some over the years (Its ALL baby weight, 8 year old baby weight!) But family came down and I was so busy I stepped on the scale and had lost 10 lbs... Its felt awesome, so I decided to keep going!
  • fitnfabulous
    Options
    seeing myself naked in the mirror! ugh!
  • PosterPens
    PosterPens Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    It was the first time I looked at my real life and realized I had become so heavy and lazy in not only working out but eating, life etc...I realized I lay in the house because I am too embarrassed in my own clothes and so it's easier to wear my "fat" pants at home and hoodies and hide away from the world. I am done doing that and making no more excuses.

wow, this is EXACTLY what went through my mind to start to make changes in my life, instead of eating more and hiding from the world because i was so down on myself. i either choose: (1) keep doing what ive been doing -ie gorging on food because i hated myself so much or (2)stop feeling sorry for myself and actually make the change to better my life and start LIVING it instead.

i chose (2).
  • corchy23
    corchy23 Posts: 41
    Options
    I’ve been overweight off and on since I was a young kid, and lost substantial weight several times and it’s always something different…in middle school it was after a doctor told me to drop weight to fight my asthma, in high school it was joining the theatre troupe and realizing I would have to change in front of other cast members and be seen on stage under harsh unforgiving lights.

The last breaking point that led me to my unhealthy diet earlier in ’12 was a combination of things as always – I’d become so depressed I rarely left the house, my biggest clothes were snug and I had a closet full I could no longer wear, I’d alienated friends to the point they no longer even called, I avoided mirrors and cameras and even snuck my mom’s camera away after vacations and events to delete any picture of myself. However, I remember the real break sort of came after just one meal, even with all that other stuff. I was at one of those Chinese buffet restaurants with my mother, and after eating until my stomach was sick I just remember that one meal made me feel bad about myself the rest of the day. I was thinking, you already can’t fit in your clothes and are thinking of skipping a close friend’s wedding so you won’t have to be seen, why are you eating like this? Thus the next day my diet began. Of course back then it wasn’t with MFP and I fell into this downward spiral of restricting heavily and working out too much. I dropped over 60 pounds….but I know I was damaging my body.

SO, the breaking point for me to get off that crazy extreme diet and be ‘healthy’ was having chest pain. It turned out to be nothing, and I was just overreacting….but it made me aware that if I continued being bad to my body I could very well be leading to a heart attack, losing my hair, weakening my teeth, and many other bad things. I joined MFP because I didn’t want to gain the weight back, in fact still have a few more pounds I want gone….but I want to do it the healthy way and ensure I’m okay and can maintain the weight. Still working on getting my calorie intake where it needs to be and giving myself exercise rest now and then….but MFP has been a great tool in keeping me accountable…and it’s showed me I can still lose weight without going crazy : ) I’ve lost 3 more pounds since I’ve been here, showing me I can still do it while trying to be good to myself!
  • kellyjkaylor
    Options
    for me it should have been the pill for diabetes but it was a pic taken of me out in the bars with my friends this past july, I was mortified when I saw it pop up on facebook. now it is my before pic, I have lost 54 lbs since sept 12, 2012 and still have about 20 more to go, im off the pill for diabetes and I feel so fantastic, better than I have in years! Keep it up, every bit of it is worth the results!!!
  • HNMiller81
    Options
    Mine started with being called in for jury duty. Something very simple, very bland. Except none of my nicer dress clothes really fit, and those that did tended to bulge horrendously. Then there was the fact that I had to go upstairs, and by the time I got into the courtroom with everyone else, I was gasping and wheezing. Just from going up a flight of stairs. I was utterly humiliated that I was red-faced, and not from being ashamed of my weight, but because I was so very out of shape.

So I got on the scale to see how far along I was in weight. There it read 280. That was it for me. I was NOT going to be a 30+ year old and live my life at 300+ lbs. It was humiliating enough that I was the largest woman in all of my family photos. Disgusting that I would go to my book club and other places and I would avoid people, even then, because I felt so self conscious. Then I read in my local newspaper about a woman who was my size. She just got up off the couch one day, nearly 300 lbs, and decided to walk. She didn't want a heart attack, didn't want diabetes. And darnit, I didn't either, knowing that both heart problems and diabetes run in my family.

I started at the end of January and I've already lost 23 lbs. I am NOT stopping until I have lost 150 lbs more. For once, I want to feel in control of my body and my life.
  • PosyPose
    PosyPose Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Mine was probably travelling on an adventure tour to New Zealand. Several of the things I did involved wearing a wetsuit (horrific), I had to announce my weight infront of everyone to go horseback riding, i felt like i was going to die doing a 20k trek (not great for a girl in her twenties) then the ultimate last straw was white water rafting. The boat tipped over and it took THREE people to pull me back in. I felt like they were all feeling sorry for me. So embarrassing!
  • missebet
    missebet Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    for me it was not being able to grab my ankle and pull it up behind my back to stretch it out, the double chin and a size 22 was getting tight. That was in May 2012. At my heaviest I was 221 lbs. The lightest I've ever weighed in my adult life was 107 lbs when I was 21. At this point I''m pushing for my pre-pregency weight of 130.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!