having a hard time with 1200 calories in 6 portions a day

Options
I just started a dr. supervised and she wants me to eat 1200 calories a day in 6 portions. That works out to 200 calories a meal. I'm having a really hard time finding things to eat that fit those perameters. Anybody got any ideas where I can look for ideas?

Replies

• Schmidty102
    Schmidty102 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    yogurt and granola
    some peanut butter and an apple
    soup
    chicken
    anything in smaller portions.
  • emobarbie7
    Options
    oatmeal, lots of veggies/hummis 4oz chicken, eggs, toast (healthy life bread) PB2 peanut butter, jello, cottage cheese
  • mizhuff
    mizhuff Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks, that's a help. I didn't realize until I got home that the dr told me 1 protein, 2 carbs, but didn't say anything about vegetables.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I had that problem. Three meals a day, and a small snack if I needed one, worked a lot better for me.
  • srpink26
    srpink26 Posts: 9
    Options
    Do you workout? You can eat more than 1200 calories if so. My brother who manages a gym, teaches crossfit and nutrition classes AND has taken 1st place in natural bodybuilding competitions told me about myfitnesspal, and he likes it but he says the 1200 calories it suggests is just way too low. He told me on the days I don't work out to eat about 1400 calories and the days I work out I can eat even more and I'll still lose these last 10 lbs my body is holding onto. I hope this helps! I know how hard 1200 calories is!

greek yogurt
    veggie salads with 1/2 cup red or black beans, 1/2 cup brown rice, and 2 TB guacamole and fresh limes is one of my favorite low calorie dinners at only about 250 calories
    oatmeal
    veggie omelettes
  • JustAGemini
    JustAGemini Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I think its frustrating for you because its a hard to change the way we view meals...
    I went through the same thing! :)

instead of thinking "im going to have all of my food groups in one meal"

just plan your normal 3 meals at 1200 calories for the day... and then you can
    either split each meal in half... or break of the different items into smaller meals...
    they dont have to be exactly 200 each right?
    so remember you can always have a 300 cal meal and then a 150 cal meal... etc...
    as long as it adds up to your goal of 1200! :)
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I just started a dr. supervised and she wants me to eat 1200 calories a day in 6 portions. That works out to 200 calories a meal. I'm having a really hard time finding things to eat that fit those perameters. Anybody got any ideas where I can look for ideas?

Did the Doc say it HAD to be 200 calories a meal? Why not a salad for one.... you can get one at the store for 30 cal a serving and low Cal salad dressings could put you around 100 calories for one of your meals

I love the Jello snack cups with fruit that say they have only 25 calories a serving
  • katmix
    katmix Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I discovered egg white and spinach omelets (no milk or cheese) are very low-cal and you can throw in lots of yummy veggies depending on what you have on hand...broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes, onions, garlic, and if you want to dice up a handful of meat (chicken, ham, pork chops) this is very filling! Mrs. Dash seasoning gives you 0 sodium bang for your buck...or throw in some salsa.

I also do lots of chicken, pork or beef (chopped up) in rice and veggie casseroles. Homemade split pea/ham, and chili/beef are other low-cal-per-serving menu items.

Think outside the box for meals...you don't *have* to have a traditional breakfast first thing in the morning...a cup of homemade beef/veggie and barley stew is a filling and low-cal start to your day...

Research replacements for the items you feel you have to eat. I like yogurt but want to stay away from artificial sweeteners and the high calories...I find the Tillamook "light" yogurt is a great meal that comes with fruit or berries for 110 cals... Fresh fruit is generally better because there is no syrup involved. Find veggies you love and eat away! A handful of almonds is a great value with 23 nuts less than 200 calories. Most meats can be eaten (weigh or use measuring cups) but it almost goes without saying - that the way you prepare and cook the meat is going to determine whether you keep it under 200 calories.

Be mindful of drinking your calories. Water should be your beverage of choice, but if you are a coffee drinker like me, log every tsp of creamer that you use (my friend doesn't log any coffee/cream calories and can't understand why she doesn't have success)...those calories add up so quickly!

You can do this! :flowerforyou:
  • karrindrwd
    karrindrwd Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You could try out fit and active brand at aldi. They have a huge variety of foods that won't hurt your budget. I love their variety of oatmeals. One packet may not seem like much, but they're very filling and I usually have one with a cup of brewed tea. I think you'd really enjoy it, and that leaves a little wiggle room if you want to add a tad of honey to your tea.

Also yogurt and fresh fruit with a handful of nuts. My favorite together - strawberries and pecans.

One egg is about 90 calories and has a lot of protein too, so you could have an egg and a slice of 100% whole grain, 12 grain bread packed with fiber.

All of these will keep you feeling super full and are very tasty. Good luck, and if you stick with it, you're going to love these treats in the morning :)
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    If it must be 200 calories per meal, I would make a make regular meals and divide them up into 200 calorie portions.

Like I usually use 600 calories at dinner -- I would make 3 portions from that and eat it for my last 3 meals. I'd probably divide my lunch in 2 since I use 400 calories etc.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    A lot of what I eat is usually 150- 250 cals, with my dinner being more 400, & I eat around 5 times a day (though I currently break it down to time frames on MFP.)

Things I like to have on an almost daily basis:

Greek yogurt - 140 cals
    Egg white scramble w/ tomatoes & mozzarella - 200 cals
    Cereal (Kashi or something w/ fiber & protein or iron) with almond milk - 200 cals
    Pasta w/ sauce - 250 cals
    Peanut butter or a few handfuls of honey roasted peanuts - 150-200cals
    Broccoli &/or Cauliflower w/ garlic, butter & herbs - 150 cals
    Veggie patties (2) - 160 cals
    Fruit (banana & some berries) 150 cals
    Salad w/ baby spinach, tomatoes, carrots, mozzarella cheese & vinaigrette dressing - 150-200 cals
  • mizhuff
    Options
    These aare all great ideas! The doc's point in eating every 2 hours as II had beenn relybd bout eating breakfast, maybe lunch if I remembered, nd y ig ml ofthe day was dinner with hubby cuz I felt like he deserved one decent meal a day but it wa usually auteed (inn evoo) chicken brest, grilled pork chops or broile fish with a steamed veggie like broccoi, asparagus, etc. and brown rice, pat, or potatoes andwe didn't eat until 8. I wasn't ever getting my metabolism going and keeping t going plsI w drinking lot of sodas.. I haven't felt hungry aand he portion sizes haven't bothered me at all. It's just I suddenly feel obsessed about food and constantly trying to come up with omething ppropriate to eat!! I'm also getting to be borderline diabetic which i DO NOT want to do so I think that has a lot to do with her wsnting me to est small amounts every 2 hours so my blood sjgar doesn't go up &down.
  • mizhuff
    Options
    I also have had back surgerywith discs fused in lower back so runnng and evenbrisk walking i not really anotio for exercise. I have pe good lucck riding a ke but amm looking for video tht I can work out to that won't hurt my back but willel strengthen nd tone muscles, especially core Annybdy kno any good ones?
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    8AM – 2/3 cup FiberOne cereal (60) 2/3 cup Unsweetened Vanilla Almond milk (20) – 80 calories
    10AM – 6oz Kroger CarbMaster Yogurt – 60 calories
    12 noon – 2 slices 40 cal bread (80) and 1 ounce turkey (or ham) (30) condiments or veggies to equal up to – 150 calories
    2 pm - veggies or fruit as much as you can get for -100 calories Depending on what you pick this could be a good bit of food
    4pm – Lite Cheese Stick 50 calories
    6pm – (2 grilled chicken Caesar Wraps) 2 light FlatOut wraps (180), 6 oz grilled chicken breast (210), half a bag of Dole Lite Caesar Kit (135) – 515 calories
    8pm – ½ PINT! Arctic Zero vanilla icecream (75) Walden Farms Caramel Sauce (0 I don’t know how they do it) ½ a FiberOne brownie (crumbled up on top) (45) – 115 calories

That is a 1070 day with dessert so I would typically add a 100 calorie bag of popcorn to a ziplock bag in the morning and use it as a grab snack during the day. I know the nutrition natzis won’t like that I do desert instead of more healthy items for my 8pm snack but it made the limited calories so much more doable.
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    bump
  • GrannyGwen1
    GrannyGwen1 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I WANT YOU TO KNOW THAT I SUPPORT YOU IN YOUR REACHING OUT TO OUR MFP COMMUNITY AND ASKING FOR SUGGESTIONS , IDEALS AND HELP.

SOMETIMES PEOPLE MAKE "RUDE" ,"TACTLESS" COMMENTS WITHOUT THINKING HOW IT AFFECTS THE OTHER PERSON. WE ARE HERE BECAUSE WE WANT TO HAVE A BETTER HEALTHY AND FIT LIFESTYLE , NOT TO BE CRITICIZED FOR OUR SPELLING OR THAT WE TYPE IN CAPS. WE CAN GET THAT FROM PEOPLE WHO REALLY CARE.

MY MOTHER ALWAYS SAID LIKE THUMPER'S MOTHER TOLD HIM "IF YOU DON'T HAVE NUFFIN NICE TO SAY, DON'T SAY NUFFIN AT ALL .

I WISH YOU MUCH SUCCESS AND WOULD LOVE TO BE YOUR MFP FRIEND.
    I WILL KEEP YOU IN MY HEART AND PRAYERS,
    GG
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Salad is really good as you can have a massive plate of salad leaves for like 50cals, top with some delicious meat or a tin of tuna.

Try a frozen berry smoothie in the morning, cup of berries, cup of soy milk and a scoop of protein powder too if you want.
  • 1234terri
    1234terri Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    6 portions? You will be making food all day non stop. Tell Dr. to come and make your meals, otherwise to recc'd a far more DOABLE meal plan. Like 3-4 meals. sheese.
  • MummyMikaela
    MummyMikaela Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I would make or by some soups, I have soup every lunch and as its a liquid it tricks your stomach into feeling fuller for longer! God luck!
  • brit_ks_89
    brit_ks_89 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    if you exercise , you get to eat more :)