I can feel myself slipping from success!

Options
Help please! I'm feeling myself grasping onto the healthy lifestyle ban wagon for dear life, but I'm dragging behind it. I did very well my first few weeks, now I'm just always hungry! I don't know how to curb my hunger and I'm losing motivation to work out. I don't know if it is just because I find myself super exhausted after work ( I work in a very busy kennel). I'm also getting sick of different foods, and I don't know how to make 1200 calories into 6 meals on busy days. I need advised on how you keep on track, curb your cravings, healthy snacks, and quick healthy low calorie meals..I'm getting discouraged by my scale too, because my weight is yo-yo-ing since I have too many weak days. My scale also SUCKS and only accurate 50% of the time. I just don't have money right now for a new one.

Replies

• mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I eat much more than 1200 calories which really helps curb hunger. Find out what your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) is and eat a little under that.
  • oceanheart_magicsoul
    oceanheart_magicsoul Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'll try and find that out. The 1200 calorie was recommended by my primary physician.
  • PlantBasedGrace
    PlantBasedGrace Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I agree with Mandy. 1200 is the lowest amount of calories the average woman needs just to keep her body running. So you probably need to eat more! Sounds backwards, I know, but when your body is receiving so few nutrients, it thinks it's starving and begins to hold onto as much fat as it can.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Help please! I'm feeling myself grasping onto the healthy lifestyle ban wagon for dear life, but I'm dragging behind it. I did very well my first few weeks, now I'm just always hungry! I don't know how to curb my hunger and I'm losing motivation to work out. I don't know if it is just because I find myself super exhausted after work ( I work in a very busy kennel). I'm also getting sick of different foods, and I don't know how to make 1200 calories into 6 meals on busy days. I need advised on how you keep on track, curb your cravings, healthy snacks, and quick healthy low calorie meals..I'm getting discouraged by my scale too, because my weight is yo-yo-ing since I have too many weak days. My scale also SUCKS and only accurate 50% of the time. I just don't have money right now for a new one.

Look! Go to the Group>>>Eat More To Weigh Less! 1200 Calories a day IS NOT HEALTHY! So when you are DONE yo-yo dieting and "claiming" a "Healthy Lifestyle" go and DO a Healthy Lifestyle that will last for Life. Start with EMTWL, then grow into Wellness.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    I also tried 1200 calories. I can only go that low in the summer when I'm off work and can devote a lot of time to working out (and hence earn back exercise calories). In general, I did much better at 14-1600 calories/day net. Talk to your doctor about whether he/she is taking into account your active job. Also, are you eating back exercise calories b/c if you have your intake set that low, you probably should.

Disclaimer that this is all my opinion based on what works for me--everyone is different, but if you're constantly hungry, common sense dictates that you eat more.
  • oceanheart_magicsoul
    Options
    Thanks, I think I might consider uping my intake to 1400-1500 a day then. Considering my job is very physically demanding.
  • ColleenRoss50
    ColleenRoss50 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Is there some medical reason why you have to divide it into six meals or is that a preference? I would have difficulty feeling satisfied with such tiny meals. I have lost most of my weight consuming 1200 calories a day and, for me, three meals and one afternoon snack work best, but whatever works for you.
  • CCusedtodance
    CCusedtodance Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    You are active, young and 1200 calories is no doubt to low for you. I am 48 years old, have a semi-active job, I get 1580 with TDEE minus 20% and I have lost.
  • oceanheart_magicsoul
    Options
    Is there some medical reason why you have to divide it into six meals or is that a preference? I would have difficulty feeling satisfied with such tiny meals. I have lost most of my weight consuming 1200 calories a day and, for me, three meals and one afternoon snack work best, but whatever works for you.

No medical reason, I have just heard that it is best to eat 6 small meals a day. I usually end up just eating Breakfast, Lunch, small snack, Dinner
  • mushroomcup
    mushroomcup Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. If you're constantly hungry/tempted, then you probably aren't getting the calories you need. You also may want to adjust your macronutrients. (Simple carbs don't keep you feeling full as long as protein, for example.)

Some quick easy things I eat:

tuna salad wraps (220ish cals) - tuna is low calorie and keeps me full! (and you can get wraps that are 90 cals each)
    atkins shakes (140-160 cals) - a lot of people are against these for various reasons, but when I'm in a hurry in the morning, I can grab and go
    cottage cheese (110 cals) - no prep, and again, some protein to keep me feeling full
    instant oatmeal (130 cals) - very quick and oatmeal always makes me feel full and warm
    veggies - high volume for low calorie content helps you feel full without overdoing the calories for the day; plus, they have a lot of important micronutrients
  • ColleenRoss50
    ColleenRoss50 Posts: 199 Member
    Options

No medical reason, I have just heard that it is best to eat 6 small meals a day. I usually end up just eating Breakfast, Lunch, small snack, Dinner

Meal frequency has no bearing on successful weight loss. That is an old myth that many people still believe, so as far as timing and frequency of meals is concerned, do whatever works best for you.
  • oceanheart_magicsoul
    Options
    I agree with the others. If you're constantly hungry/tempted, then you probably aren't getting the calories you need. You also may want to adjust your macronutrients. (Simple carbs don't keep you feeling full as long as protein, for example.)

tuna salad wraps (220ish cals) - tuna is low calorie and keeps me full! (and you can get wraps that are 90 cals each)
    atkins shakes (140-160 cals) - a lot of people are against these for various reasons, but when I'm in a hurry in the morning, I can grab and go
    cottage cheese (110 cals) - no prep, and again, some protein to keep me feeling full
    instant oatmeal (130 cals) - very quick and oatmeal always makes me feel full and warm
    veggies - high volume for low calorie content helps you feel full without overdoing the calories for the day; plus, they have a lot of important micronutrients

Thank you so much on the food advice. I love tuna, in fact I had some tuna in my salad for lunch today. I try to eat high protein foods, like I LOVE vanilla greek yogurt. I have always loved carbs, like bread and stuff. I only eat whole wheat. I just sometimes find that with out thinking a lot of my diet ends up being carbs. I need to find more delicious ways to make veggies.
  • mushroomcup
    mushroomcup Posts: 145 Member
    Options

Thank you so much on the food advice. I love tuna, in fact I had some tuna in my salad for lunch today. I try to eat high protein foods, like I LOVE vanilla greek yogurt. I have always loved carbs, like bread and stuff. I only eat whole wheat. I just sometimes find that with out thinking a lot of my diet ends up being carbs. I need to find more delicious ways to make veggies.

:P I'm EXACTLY the same. If I don't pay attention, I end up with like... 70% carbs at the end of the day. :P

I also love greek yogurt. I considered putting it on the list (high protein!), but a lot of people don't seem to like it. I like mixing granola (I buy Back to Nature brand) in my greek yogurt. Yum!

Oh, also, soup is a great quick-ready, low calorie option and can be filling depending on what's in it. I hate canned soup, but I buy Tabatchnick frozen soups and eat them for lunch all the time (typically with fresh fruit or apple sauce or something). Some of them are low sodium too, which is cool, though those taste sort of bland.