Please help me understand!

Options
I've been doing this for 3 weeks, I know it's not long, but I'm not seeing any great results. I walk everyday for at least 1 hour and I've been trying to watch my diet. But I really need some motivation and input on my diet. I think I have my diary as public and would really appreciate it if someone would take the time to see if there is something I'm doing wrong. Thanks.

Replies

• lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Your diary is not set to public. So, you may need to change your settings.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Your diary must be set to private or friend view only. Also, three weeks isn't long enough to see a significant change. Your body has to adjust to this new lifestyle and it may actually gain weight at first. Keep up the hard work, eat properly, drink your water, and remember that the scale really is just a number.
  • nanmosta1
    nanmosta1 Posts: 55
    Options
    I'm thinking only your friends can see your food diary. I tried but it's not there. If you feel your menu is good the only other thing I can think of is, are you making sure your portion sizes are correct?
  • kaja
    kaja Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    hi annabelle at the moment your food diary isn't public so i can't help you right now sorry.

To make it public go to your home page click settings then goto diary setting and there should be an option at the bottom to make things public or private.

hope this helps.
  • maz123
    maz123 Posts: 63
    Options
    your diary doesnt seem to be public! :)
  • kellykat
    kellykat Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I would check on your sodium levels and portion sizes. It's easy to go over sodium and retain water. Also, with portion sizes if you aren't measuring things out - it may be that you might be off on eyeballing it. I hope that helps. Don't get discouraged - sometimes it just takes a little time to whip your body into shape.
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest keeping an eye on your sodium as well. I've been a member here for about 5 wks but I've been trying to lose weight since January, with only mild success now and again. Most weeks I see NOTHING for changes. I stopped using salt in my kitchen so I figured my sodium level would take care of itself and I didn't pay much attention to it. But last week I ran a sodium summary just for kicks and learned that I was WAY over on a consistent basis - often by 1500 mg or more! I'm now after that sodium count like a hawk - and hoping this was the stumbling block I've been blindly struggling with.

I know it's frustrating, but don't give up. Sometimes it takes a while. *hugs*
  • spob
    spob Posts: 206
    Options
    Be ever so patient. If you read there are probably 150 posts saying exactly the same thing as you. Weight creeps on slowly and some times takes time to get rid of as well! You will see change and you will start to get results soon. It is one of those crazy aspects of weight loss that can get a person down and then they go back to the bad habits. For some the weight just falls off for others the journey is hard earned. But the slower the loss and the more that your new excellent habits start to become engrained, not only will you see results but they will stay! I would love to fit into a slinky black dress by Friday but I would rather still fit in it by next December! Do not give up, change is'nt for the weak!!! You will do it just think "YES I CAN":drinker:
  • delilahthegoddess
    Options
    Be patient. If you don't have much too lose, it's gonna take a little while. It took me more that a month to really see change. I have been on here for over 3 months and I have lost 10lbs. Seems small to some, but it's what my body can afford to lose. Just keep track of calories in calories out :)
  • xxquzme
    xxquzme Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    You need a plan. Not just watch your calories but try to figure out what your balance is. remember that one pound is 3500 calories. Just try to eliminate that many a week either by exercise or by less food consumption and you will be there.
  • Annabelle_M
    Options
    Thank you all so much, you are so great! I changed my diary to public, sorry I thought I had done it before but I didn't. We actually don't use salt in our everyday cooking because my bf's dad has an issue with that and my bf doesn't want the same problem. That being said yesterday we did have a traditional meal that involves salt so I know yesterday was bad but other than that we're salt free. I've even cut out a lot of processed foods and tried to decrease my sugar intake. Thanks again!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your food diary. The only things that I see that might need a bit of help are adding more vegetables and bring the sodium even further down. I keep my sodium usually around 1500mg a day or less. If you cut out most of the processed foods this would help. I know that there are days when you can't escape the junk (I do that about once a week). Stick with as whole and unprocessed food as possible. Good luck! :smile:
  • Annabelle_M
    Options
    I took a look at your food diary. The only things that I see that might need a bit of help are adding more vegetables and bring the sodium even further down. I keep my sodium usually around 1500mg a day or less. If you cut out most of the processed foods this would help. I know that there are days when you can't escape the junk (I do that about once a week). Stick with as whole and unprocessed food as possible. Good luck! :smile:

Thank you!! I appreciate it.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I would urge you to start tracking your sugar. I would second that sticking to whole, unprocessed things will easily reduce your sugar and simple carb intake.

For me, if my sugar intake is too high, I do not lose weight, even if my calories are at a deficit.
  • sycorreale
    sycorreale Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged. It's easier said than done, though. I know first hand. I've been counting calories and running since February. But it took four months to really see a significant change in my body. One of things I was doing was adding calories back into my diet after working out - big mistake for me! Now, I stick to the 1200 calories a day allotment and burn 3,500 calories a week. I've been seeing a steady weight loss for about 4 weeks now. You will lose weight and you will see a change in your body - it just takes time. That was the hardest thing for me to accept! I wanted instant results for my hard work. But now, it's paying off big time. Hang in there! We are all here for you.
  • sliane56
    sliane56 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I lost two pounds for the first three weeks, and then lost three pounds this last week. I haven't changed anything in my diet or exercise in the last month. Just keep tracking and exercising.
  • oats4breakfast
    Options
    I'd double check and make sure your exercise calories are correct too. It looks like you're eating back your cals etc, but if they are incorrect, you could be minimizing the deficit you have set.
    It appears that there are some days where your burning in excess of 1000 cals of exercise, and others where you are doing 700 or so. But you mentioned that you walk an hour or so a day.
    I plugged into the MFP calculator for walking at 5mph (which is honking along, probably better than a lot of peoples run's) and it came back with 840. Now, that's just a guideline too, and because there is not Heart Rate Monitor involved, it could be way way off. If I entered that, but only burned 400 cals in reality (because I only walked 3 miles in an hour or something), AND ate back my 800 cals. Then my deficit for that day would only be 100 cals. So, If I did that every day, I'd probably loose about 0.2 of a pound per week.

Just a thought. Double check and evaluate the exercise cals for accuracy
    That and all of the above.
  • eliaison
    eliaison Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I can't stress enough the importance of not doing things on a diet for quick results that are not sustainable.

I gained 10 lbs in grad school, and being new to dieting, thought i was doing well losing 10 lbs in 6 weeks (not too fast, i thought). I was so happy with the weight gone! as soon as i resumed eating maintenance level calories (reasonable but still fairly low) i GAINED IT ALL BACK PLUS 5.

not getting the picture, i did it again - lost 10, gained it back PLUS 5! I now have 20 lbs to lose where before i only had 10.

The reason? Because I cut so many calories (1000 a day the first time, 1200 a day the second time) that it changed my formerly healthy metabolism and caused me to store fat the second i began eating again. actually opening the door for more disappointing weight gain and doing more damage.

i am now sticking to around 1550 cals per day, working out 3-4x a week, with a goal of half a pound loss per week, MAX.

i want this to be a permanent and sustainable lifestyle change.

my lesson is to learn how to eat smaller portions, lower cal foods, and not give in to cravings for chocolate and desserts; to become more active again now that i've graduated, and to lost weight and become fit PERMANENTLY in such a way that i can eat normally and never feel like i'm hungry, or "having to diet".

in order for that to happen, the body and the brain must adjust, and that takes many many many weeks.

i read these helpful words when i first joined here: have faith in the FIX.

half a pound is so slow that i don't see many results. i'm still disappointed in the way my body looks in clothes, and in photographs, and i really wish i could just *presto* do it overnight. i am resolved to knowing that it will be 6 months before i am close to having the body back that i want. and to weigh in every week and get discouraged because i'm still wearing my "fat pants" is the wrong approach.

i hope this helps! :-)

thi
  • Annabelle_M
    Options
    I can't stress enough the importance of not doing things on a diet for quick results that are not sustainable.

I gained 10 lbs in grad school, and being new to dieting, thought i was doing well losing 10 lbs in 6 weeks (not too fast, i thought). I was so happy with the weight gone! as soon as i resumed eating maintenance level calories (reasonable but still fairly low) i GAINED IT ALL BACK PLUS 5.

not getting the picture, i did it again - lost 10, gained it back PLUS 5! I now have 20 lbs to lose where before i only had 10.

The reason? Because I cut so many calories (1000 a day the first time, 1200 a day the second time) that it changed my formerly healthy metabolism and caused me to store fat the second i began eating again. actually opening the door for more disappointing weight gain and doing more damage.

i am now sticking to around 1550 cals per day, working out 3-4x a week, with a goal of half a pound loss per week, MAX.

i want this to be a permanent and sustainable lifestyle change.

my lesson is to learn how to eat smaller portions, lower cal foods, and not give in to cravings for chocolate and desserts; to become more active again now that i've graduated, and to lost weight and become fit PERMANENTLY in such a way that i can eat normally and never feel like i'm hungry, or "having to diet".

in order for that to happen, the body and the brain must adjust, and that takes many many many weeks.

i read these helpful words when i first joined here: have faith in the FIX.

half a pound is so slow that i don't see many results. i'm still disappointed in the way my body looks in clothes, and in photographs, and i really wish i could just *presto* do it overnight. i am resolved to knowing that it will be 6 months before i am close to having the body back that i want. and to weigh in every week and get discouraged because i'm still wearing my "fat pants" is the wrong approach.

i hope this helps! :-)

thi

You've said a lot of great things here, thanks. I will try to consider everything you've said. I did weigh myself today and was down 1 lb since Thursday's weigh in so I hope I keep it up.
    You've said a lot o
  • Buppie
    Buppie Posts: 43
    Options
    ***These are just my observations from the last week's worth of entries*****

1) Most days you are not eating ENOUGH calories! If you set your goal to lose 1-2 lbs a week, the site calculates the number of calories you should intake (net). That number is there to help you lose the weight you have set your goal to. Eat the calories! However, watch what calories you use.... see below
    2) I noticed Alcohol and regular soda's - empty calories! No need to drink fruity drinks and try Coke Zero if you need a soda. Gives you caffine and is does not taste as bad as Diet Coke. Root Beer is full of sugar!
    3) Pizza and white potatoes - not good. Too high calories in such a little amount...

Again, these are my observations. Others may agree or disagree. If you want to look at my diary, I will be happy to send you my password to view. I have the occassional ice cream, glass of wine, etc. as well. My biggest vice is the sugar in my coffee, which I have just started to decrease because it is empty calories that I would rather consume in other ways!

Hope this helps some!