What would you say? Sedentary or lightly active?

Although I've lost 40 pounds, I'm going to take a little "diet break" and eat at TDEE soon for a few weeks. However, I STILL cannot decide if I'm lightly active or sedentary!

Here's my stats:

I work out on average 5 days per week, 35-60 mins each time. Bodyweight strength training for most days, with warmup cardio for 15 mins. Occasional cardio only day.

I am a student, therefore sit most of the day. I calculated my calories on Scoobysworkshop and found there was a 300 calorie difference in TDEE for lightly active and sedentary. I did the same on IIFYM website, which gave me about 1900 without asking if I was sedentary or lightly active because it takes into account every minute of your day. The Scooby calculator told me 1900 for lightly active.

I cook, clean, walk around, do laundry, shower, etc. for 2 or so hours minimum per day. As summer approaches I will also be doing more outside like swimming and biking.

So, lightly active or sedentary? Opinions are appreciated :)

Replies

• babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    lightly active
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    If you sit throughout most of the day, studying, doing other things, hobbies, then I would say you are sedentary. In summer you will probably be lightly acvtive or even more, from the sound of it.

Think about other things you do during the day. I, for example, am also a student, but my hobbies include listening to music, reading, social media... So I am very sedentary. I do workout 6 days a week, 45-60 minutes but that doesn't count for these calculators.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Working out 5 days a week makes you lightly active also depends on your metabolism, Try eating at lightly active for a week, if you gain a pound go to sedentary
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    lightly active. For sure.
  • gil_u
    gil_u Posts: 165 Member
    sedentary.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,462 Member
    I would actually think that you are closer to moderately active, what with five workouts a week, plus swimming, cycling and other activity. You don't sound very sedentary to me!

The only way you'd count as sedentary is if you were using that for the MFP calculations, setting to maintain, and then adding in and eating back all your activity. But if you're talking about your actual TDEE, then it looks like you're closer to moderately active, or at least somewhere between light and moderate.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    I would actually think that you are closer to moderately active, what with five workouts a week, plus swimming, cycling and other activity. You don't sound very sedentary to me!

^
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member

The only way you'd count as sedentary is if you were using that for the MFP calculations, setting to maintain, and the adding in and eating back all your activity. But if you're talking about your actual TDEE, then it looks like you're closer to moderately active, or at least somewhere between light and moderate.

This
  • Jude_V
    Jude_V Posts: 72 Member
    Dictionary definition:

1. characterized by or requiring a sitting position: sedentary work
    2. tending to sit about without taking much exercise
    3. (of animals) moving about very little, usually because of attachment to a rock or other surface

I put the No 3 in cos it made me smile :)

I have just started doing about 30 minutes of light exercise a day and I would no longer class myself as sedentary.

I agree with the others who say you are moderately active. Maybe people who think you are sedentary are extremely active and find it hard to be objective :)
  • jadethief
    jadethief Posts: 266 Member
    I think you are at the very least lightly active, but probably more so fall into the moderately active category. Like someone above suggested, try eating at lightly active numbers and see how it goes.
  • Loisxyz
    Loisxyz Posts: 17
    I have read that you are only sedentary if you are unable to move through disability or bed-bound and that lightly active is exercising 1-3 times a week. Therefore you are at least moderately active.
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    thanks for your opinions everyone! I've had my goal set to lightly active at 1500 for a while now. I'll take all your suggestions into consideration!