Extra exercise on top of Insanity?

Options
Hi I'm starting Insanity on Monday but I have been interval running in the mornings for the past week and I don't want to lose that! Is it safe to run in the morning and do Insanity in the afternoon? the runs range from 15-25 min so not that long. I just don't want to overtrain...advice?

P.S. I am not an athlete training for anything. I am just trying to lose my last 10 lbs.

Replies

• mlrogers19
    Options
    Anyone??
  • mirandacox
    mirandacox Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I was also thinking of doing the same thing and starting Insanity next week. I don't think that is too much. I wouldn't run everyday, but I think some extra cardio never hurt anyone.
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I am not an expert on this, but for me personally, I wanted to do some P90x to go with Insanity but Insanity is already intense enough, there was no need for me to add in anything - also I didn't really feel like it.

But, I would say, why don't you try it for a week and see how you feel? :) I think running for 15-20 minutes a day is great, if you can keep that up!
  • succubaeangel
    Options
    Hi I'm starting Insanity on Monday but I have been interval running in the mornings for the past week and I don't want to lose that! Is it safe to run in the morning and do Insanity in the afternoon? the runs range from 15-25 min so not that long. I just don't want to overtrain...advice?

P.S. I am not an athlete training for anything. I am just trying to lose my last 10 lbs.

If you push hard enough, you won't NEED anything else. Trust me. Insanity is well, insane.
  • Kempossible
    Kempossible Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Im on my second round of INSANITY. I will usually do an INSANITY workout then a 2-3 mile jog or walk depending on how I feel. Earlier this week I did my INSANITY workout and a P90X workout. You just have to see how "you" feel. Just wanted to let you know that it can be done. Good Luck on your journey !
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    You don't need to do "extra" exercise on top of a hardcore cardio program to lose 10lbs. Diet will be the determining factor. You need to maintain a slight deficit under your TDEE and the weight will shift. Massive calorie deficits (either created via diet or by extreme amounts of cardio) won't help you get there any quicker and could even get you there more slowly. Plus, you'll most likely damage joints and ligaments in your feet/ankles/knees/hips......
  • SteppyRohr
    SteppyRohr Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am not an expert on this, but for me personally, I wanted to do some P90x to go with Insanity but Insanity is already intense enough, there was no need for me to add in anything - also I didn't really feel like it.

But, I would say, why don't you try it for a week and see how you feel? :) I think running for 15-20 minutes a day is great, if you can keep that up!

Have you considered the P90X/Insanity Hybrid workout? You can download the workout sheets from beachbody.com.
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Typically if you do two different types of exercise on the same day, one of them will suffer...usually the second one. It's really hard to put a lot of focus and energy into something if you're exhausted from something else. If it were me, I'd split them up. do one on MWF, and the other on T,TH,S. Also, don't underestimate the value of rest and repair to the whole process. You can only push your body so far. Whatever you decide, be safe.
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I am doing Insanity. Starting month 2 today. I love running. I will do Insanity in the morning and then go for a run in the evening three days a week. I don't push myself on my run. I just go nice and easy and usually about 3 miles. I do it because I love running and mentally it makes me feel better. It can be done.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I think it's safe, it just depends on if you can handle that level of exercise.

For instance, I turned a 1000+ calorie burn the other day and felt fine, but the next day slept 10 hours and didn't have the energy to work out. I had to skip a day and still feel tired. I don't have the stamina (yet) to turn that kind of burn every day.

Also, EAT. Make sure you're getting enough nutrition to allow your body to do that much work!
  • cnotefwb
    cnotefwb Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I've done about 3 rounds of Insanity in the past and on the second and third round, I would go for a 2.5-3 mile run in the morning once or twice a week and then do Insanity that afternoon after work. It was basically for the same reason, I didn't want to lose the progress I had made on running. I wouldn't do it everyday, but a day or two a week isn't going to hurt anything depending on your fitness level.
  • kb_CG_wife
    kb_CG_wife Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I would not suggest doing this, only because of my personal experience. I was doing Insanity in the morning and going to the gym in the evening. As a result of the overtraining, I ended up having extremely abnormal menstrual bleeding... I'm talking for four weeks straight. I saw the doc twice, and the second visit, she told me to stop doing insanity and just stick with the gym. That's just my personal experience, I'm sure it depends on what your body can handle. Best wishes, Insanity is fun :)
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    It simply depends on your current level of fitness. What is too much for some is not enough for others.

And overtraining isn't a short-term problem and won't suddenly come on. It's a problem that comes on gradually and you'll see it in loss of appetite, decreased exercise performance and lethargy. It is best to take some rest days and training breaks though no matter your level of fitness.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You don't need to do "extra" exercise on top of a hardcore cardio program to lose 10lbs. Diet will be the determining factor. You need to maintain a slight deficit under your TDEE and the weight will shift. Massive calorie deficits (either created via diet or by extreme amounts of cardio) won't help you get there any quicker and could even get you there more slowly. Plus, you'll most likely damage joints and ligaments in your feet/ankles/knees/hips......

This