Omggg

Options
Whyyyyyyyyyyy is it so hard to get back on track once you "slip up"? I honestly dont get it. I could eat well everyday and stick to my calorie limit and lost 30 lbs. Now that I managed to get "off track" it feels impossible to get on. I'm probably eating 2000-2500 cals everyday and its not the healthiest food either. I get dessert daily and am in the habit of eating in the middle of the night (like 3am! i wake up and think i need to eat!). im slowly gaining my weight back which would be no problem if i could nip it in the bud now but it literally seems impossible to eat well and limit my portions. Pleaseee help before I gain all this weight back. I've already gained 5-10 lbs in 6 weeks :/

Replies

• squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    It helps to reevaluate every now and then. I need to do this every few weeks, else I will slip up and start eating **** also. I never had a problem sticking to my exercise routine, but my biggest challenge was staying away from the unhealthy eating habits. I take a good look at what I am doing, I think about how miserable I felt being 30 lbs heavier, and I think about how great I feel now that my clothes are becoming loose.

Think about why you are doing this!!
  • tweetyjf
    tweetyjf Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    it's a concious choice you make, do you want to lose weight or give in to some sort of stress eating.
    you can choose to take an appel of a macburger...

you're not forced to eat unheahtly or to not set your alarm clock for excercise....

throw out the unhealthy stuff what you don't have available to you to eat, you cant eat because
    you have to go out first....

stop complaining and do something else!!!!
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    it sounds like your body is feeling like you are over restricting during the day, or you are going through stress in your life.

try to reevaluate the foods you're eating. try making some ethnic exciting foods.
    stuff that is so good being on plan is really exciting and more fun than eating bland fast food or whatever your temptation is.
    be ready for the midnight munchies with some edy's slow churned ice cream, much less fat/cals than reg. ice cream,
    but to me and many others tastes just as great, I also love frozen yogurt. or make frozen bananas ice cream.
    there's a whole page on chocolate covered katies' blog for making your own healthier ice cream recipes. and other desserts.

some examples of a more interesting day

banana bread oatmeal w/ toasted coconut on top
    clementine/mandarin oranges
    . curry fish tacos with a side of jalopeno and peppers with black beans and 1 oz of cheee on top.
    caribbean jerk chicken with sliced kiwi, bananas, and mangos

that's just a few idea
  • squindles
    squindles Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    it's a concious choice you make, do you want to lose weight or give in to some sort of stress eating.

you're not forced to eat unheahtly or to not set your alarm clock for excercise....

throw out the unhealthy stuff what you don't have available to you to eat, you cant eat because

Nasty :explode: Couldn't you given sound advice without being so critical? You can be straight forward and to the point without being *****y :angry:
  • Jessicarenelaw
    Jessicarenelaw Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    it sounds like your body is feeling like you are over restricting during the day, or you are going through stress in your life.

try to reevaluate the foods you're eating. try making some ethnic exciting foods.
    stuff that is so good being on plan is really exciting and more fun than eating bland fast food or whatever your temptation is.
    be ready for the midnight munchies with some edy's slow churned ice cream, much less fat/cals than reg. ice cream,
    but to me and many others tastes just as great, I also love frozen yogurt. or make frozen bananas ice cream.
    there's a whole page on chocolate covered katies' blog for making your own healthier ice cream recipes. and other desserts.

some examples of a more interesting day

banana bread oatmeal w/ toasted coconut on top
    clementine/mandarin oranges
    . curry fish tacos with a side of jalopeno and peppers with black beans and 1 oz of cheee on top.
    caribbean jerk chicken with sliced kiwi, bananas, and mangos

that's just a few idea
    Om nom nom nom. This sounds so good.
  • nine2481
    nine2481 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    OMG . I wanna B THIN !!!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    It is a conscious choice - only you can decide to have that dessert or not (or whatever it is). I know it can be hard, and I often make choices that afterwards I think maybe I shouldn't have had that. What I've learned to do though is to nip it in the bud right then, and get back on track straight away. Don't keep thinking "I need to stop this": just stop it. You say you're "probably" eating 2000-2500 cals... log it; log it all. That should give you a wakeup call. It's much easier to take responsibility for what you're putting into your body when you can see it all there in black and white.

Also, maybe try to look at the difference between your "on track" and your "off track" and make the difference a little less extreme. The more radical the changes you make to your normal lifestyle, the easier it is to go completely in the opposite direction when you've had enough of it. Make smaller changes that you can maintain. Even if it means, for now, just logging and sticking to your calorie limit.

You can still have dessert daily, just maybe not such a high calorie one, or such a big portion. For example, I have chocolate nearly every day, but usually only 50-150 calories worth. I also regularly have lots of non "diet" food like buttered toast, ice cream, hot chocolate, cheese, pate, biscuits, etc. I eat what I want, but I know that I can't have all of those things every day, and I can't have them in unlimited quantities, not if I want to stay within my calorie goal and get a good range of nutrients in as well. There has to be some compromise somewhere. You need to find a balance between eating well to achieve your goals, and maintaining a lifestyle that you can enjoy. Or, don't. Your choice.
  • fluffykitsune
    fluffykitsune Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Funny you say that.. Cause its 3am here in WA atm and I just woke up and had a midnight snack of yogurt..
    I woke up cuz my tummy was growling. :embarassed:
  • ElliieMental
    Options

If being skinny makes you like this then I'll stick with my macburgers :laugh: :laugh:
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options

Nasty :explode: Couldn't you given sound advice without being so critical? You can be straight forward and to the point without being *****y :angry:
    how was that nasty? we're not 4 years old here, all adults and are able to make rational choices for ourselves.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    if it was easy we would all be already healthy and at goal. she was taking a risk exposing her real feelings and issues and
    it doesn't help anyone by being so critical and acting like it's always easy.
    if she's waking up in the middle of the night eating these things she isn't awake enough to analyze her choices.
    it's not always an option to throw out all the food that is less than healthy, although is the best scenario.
  • squatsandlipgloss
    Options

If being skinny makes you like this then I'll stick with my macburgers :laugh: :laugh:

LOL :laugh: I don't think she meant it that way, though, maybe could have said it a bit differently. I think a lot of people fail to realize that binging is a real eating disorder, so saying "you're not forced to..." kind of bugs me. People with boulimia aren't forced to throw up what they ate? You wouldn't say that either, right? Some people lack the ability to make conscious choices more than others. I think "rational choices" is not applicable in every case.

Either way, OP, I hope you can find your motivation again!
  • squatsandlipgloss
    Options
    if it was easy we would all be already healthy and at goal. she was taking a risk exposing her real feelings and issues and
    if she's waking up in the middle of the night eating these things she isn't awake enough to analyze her choices.
    it's not always an option to throw out all the food that is less than healthy, although is the best scenario.

This ^^
  • ElliieMental
    Options

This ^^

Agreed :bigsmile:
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    No offense, but I warned you last year about the risks involved when pursuing an aggressive calorie deficit considering your exercise volume and amount of fat you wanted to lose. What were these risks?

-Disproportionate loss in lean body mass relative to fat mass.
    -Disproportionate reduction in Resting Metabolic Rate relative to weight lost.
    -Significant reduction in serum leptin concentration levels and/or impairment of the receptors that assess leptin levels.

Judging by your posts, and pictures, it seems all three have resulted from your rapid weight loss.

You lost a substantial amount of lean body mass because you restricted calories too much. As I explained many months ago, we all have a limit to how much fat can be oxidized in a 24-hour period. Think of this as a maximum deficit. The closer you get to that maximum deficit, the more lean body mass is used for fuel instead of fat mass. If you exceed this deficit, fat is no longer oxidized and any further energy demands are met strictly from lean body mass. Although you may not have reached that max deficit, the degree of restriction led to a ratio that favored a disproportionate amount of lean body mass to be used as fuel.

This restriction caused serum leptin levels to plummet and/or impairment in the receptors which aid in regulating satiety and energy balance. This means your body was receiving false confirmation that you were meeting energy needs by eating enough when you truly were not.

Because you were receiving incorrect feedback, and you continued to restrict to the tune of 1300 calories, your total daily energy needs lessened greatly. Thus, you can see the reciprocal relationship leptin has with energy balance. The wacky hunger signals you are getting are a result of this.

Why is your body presently responding the way it is? Because you decided to lose weight using extreme measures. In turn, your body wants to replace the weight you so rapidly lost. Although you lost a significant amount lean body mass during restriction, you shall only recover a very small amount during this "weight recovery." This, and the above, is why people who quickly lose weight via a VLCD gain a lot of the weight back and end up at a higher body fat percentage than what they had during their original weight. So if you were originally 140 lbs at 28% body fat back then, and you gain all the weight back, you could have a body fat percentage far greater than 30%.

What should you do?

-Keep lifting weights so more of the weight you regain is recovered lean body mass.
    -See an endocrinologist or a metabolic testing center and assess your RMR to gauge how low your TDEE has adjusted.
    -Slowly increase calories until your weight stabilizes and maintain eating that amount for several months.
    -Only after that can you attempt to reduce fat mass again, but use a much smaller deficit.
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    I know it is hard but... I found that weighing myself every morning helped because it stopped me from stuffing things into my mouth as I have to "face the scale" in the morning. I get up, weight myself, check-in on MFP, put in my food and exercise for the day and read blogs here to motivate for the day. I don't feel guilty if the scale goes up a few lbs as I know that if I stick to the plan, it works. I have been maintaining for 7 months and slip up about once a month. I get right back on track. I feel like crap for a few days, the number (yes, I get on the scale the next morning) can go up 3-4 lbs!!!

Saw this and it helps:

If you're heading somewhere in the car and wanted to get there by 5, but realized you were going to be a few minutes late, would you just give up and swerve into a bridge abutment?
  • mattbk6
    mattbk6 Posts: 1
    Options
    Just stick with it make it a game. It's kind of like golf lowest score (calorie intake) wins it's you against MFP. If you don't win today try again tomorrow! good luck
  • squindles
    squindles Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    No offense, but I warned you last year about the risks involved when pursuing an aggressive calorie deficit considering your exercise volume and amount of fat you wanted to lose. What were these risks?

-Disproportionate loss in lean body mass relative to fat mass.
    -Disproportionate reduction in Resting Metabolic Rate relative to weight lost.
    -Significant reduction in serum leptin concentration levels and/or impairment of the receptors that assess leptin levels.

Judging by your posts, and pictures, it seems all three have resulted from your rapid weight loss.

You lost a substantial amount of lean body mass because you restricted calories too much. As I explained many months ago, we all have a limit to how much fat can be oxidized in a 24-hour period. Think of this as a maximum deficit. The closer you get to that maximum deficit, the more lean body mass is used for fuel instead of fat mass. If you exceed this deficit, fat is no longer oxidized and any further energy demands are met strictly from lean body mass. Although you may not have reached that max deficit, the degree of restriction led to a ratio that favored a disproportionate amount of lean body mass to be used as fuel.

This restriction caused serum leptin levels to plummet and/or impairment in the receptors which aid in regulating satiety and energy balance. This means your body was receiving false confirmation that you were meeting energy needs by eating enough when you truly were not.

Because you were receiving incorrect feedback, and you continued to restrict to the tune of 1300 calories, your total daily energy needs lessened greatly. Thus, you can see the reciprocal relationship leptin has with energy balance. The wacky hunger signals you are getting are a result of this.

Why is your body presently responding the way it is? Because you decided to lose weight using extreme measures. In turn, your body wants to replace the weight you so rapidly lost. Although you lost a significant amount lean body mass during restriction, you shall only recover a very small amount during this "weight recovery." This, and the above, is why people who quickly lose weight via a VLCD gain a lot of the weight back and end up at a higher body fat percentage than what they had during their original weight. So if you were originally 140 lbs at 28% body fat back then, and you gain all the weight back, you could have a body fat percentage far greater than 30%.

What should you do?

-Keep lifting weights so more of the weight you regain is recovered lean body mass.
    -See an endocrinologist or a metabolic testing center and assess your RMR to gauge how low your TDEE has adjusted.
    -Slowly increase calories until your weight stabilizes and maintain eating that amount for several months.
    -Only after that can you attempt to reduce fat mass again, but use a much smaller deficit.

^^^^THIS^^^^ Giving constructive critisismn and advice without resorting to nastyness, that the way you help people :smile:
  • JanetRene1
    JanetRene1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Whyyyyyyyyyyy is it so hard to get back on track once you "slip up"? I honestly dont get it. I could eat well everyday and stick to my calorie limit and lost 30 lbs. Now that I managed to get "off track" it feels impossible to get on. I'm probably eating 2000-2500 cals everyday and its not the healthiest food either. I get dessert daily and am in the habit of eating in the middle of the night (like 3am! i wake up and think i need to eat!). im slowly gaining my weight back which would be no problem if i could nip it in the bud now but it literally seems impossible to eat well and limit my portions. Pleaseee help before I gain all this weight back. I've already gained 5-10 lbs in 6 weeks :/

I know that geeky jock was kind of harsh but, he is correct. It is good to make sure that we are doing this in the healthiest manner possible.

I have made a visit to a nutritionist and am looking at joining my local YMCA so I have access to weight equipment to balance out the cardio exercise I have started with. I also try to make sure that I am including the foods I enjoy so I don't feel deprived, which is the quickest way to lead to those moments of, shall we say "fall of the wagon and rolling under the wheel".

Finally make sure you have a good support system. Weight loss is hard enough without the positive support of others.