Confused. I can't seem to eat enough good calories

Options
So I set the system so that I would lose two pounds a week. I want to lose more obviously but the system won't let you say that. I'm walking a bit which adds to how many calories I'm suppose to consume. The system keeps telling me that I need to eat more or my body thinks its starving. How do I do that or is it an issue if I eat less than the Calories needed. Darn nutrition stuff confuses me

Replies

• khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Are you hitting your calorie goal every day?
    Also it's considered to be unhealthy is you lose over 2lbs per week on a regular basis, so stick to the goals MFP gives you. You may find some weeks you do lose more than 2lbs but others maybe but 1lb. Every loss is a victory, no matter how small.
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Without being able to see your diary, it's hard to give you advice. But yes, undereating can be a problem. Your body needs enough calories to function properly, plus you have to consider all the other nutritional values of food. Luckily, it's pretty easy to up your calories while still eating healthy foods. Are you eating non-fat or low-fat versions of products? Swap them for the full-fat version. Add things like olive oil, nuts, or avocado, which are all healthy but calorie-dense.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    So I set the system so that I would lose two pounds a week. I want to lose more obviously but the system won't let you say that. I'm walking a bit which adds to how many calories I'm suppose to consume. The system keeps telling me that I need to eat more or my body thinks its starving. How do I do that or is it an issue if I eat less than the Calories needed. Darn nutrition stuff confuses me

Greater than 2 pounds a week is NOT advisable. If you're working out you should eat more since the program has already built in a 1000 calorie deficit--which is HUGE.

To get more good calories in...eat more fat. Here's some ideas:

1) olive oil--use it on salads, to cook eggs/protein/etc ....add 1 tbsp and you've increased your calories by 120
    2) nuts--add an ounce to a snack = 160 calories
    3) avocado --depending on the amount you could easily add 200 calories
    4) seeds --about 160 calories per ounce
    5) fatty fish/lean red meal --add in a 4 ounce serving and you've added ~200 calories
    6) low fat NOT nonfat dairy--120 calories for milk vs 80, 90-110 calories for cottage cheese vs 80, etc
    7) eliminate diet foods--1 slice "light/low carb" bread = ~40 calories vs 80 calories for ezekiel bread
  • tamiz2013
    tamiz2013 Posts: 21
    Options
    Also it's considered to be unhealthy is you lose over 2lbs per week on a regular basis, so stick to the goals MFP gives you. You may find some weeks you do lose more than 2lbs but others maybe but 1lb. Every loss is a victory, no matter how small.

I know its better to just lose two pounds a month. I'm just over zealous on that part. I'm having problems hitting my calorie goals and then in the evenings I try to eat more to catch. That's my biggest problem I don't eat enough which didnt ever make sense before. Of course what I did eat was never that healthy
  • tamiz2013
    tamiz2013 Posts: 21
    Options
    Without being able to see your diary, it's hard to give you advice. But yes, undereating can be a problem. Your body needs enough calories to function properly, plus you have to consider all the other nutritional values of food. Luckily, it's pretty easy to up your calories while still eating healthy foods. Are you eating non-fat or low-fat versions of products? Swap them for the full-fat version. Add things like olive oil, nuts, or avocado, which are all healthy but calorie-dense.

Yes I have been eating low fat and non fat products so Thats an easy thing to change. I always avoided nuts too but I can add some easily since I love them. I was always told they were too rich
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Put some peanut butter on whole wheat bread.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    ^I agree with this. Often, people find it hard to get enough calories when they think they must restrict themselves to foods that are traditionally viewed as "diet" foods. The great thing about calorie counting is that no foods are off-limits, unless you decide to cut out certain things for other reasons. Even if you are cutting way down on processed foods, for example, there are still lots of very nutritious foods that are higher in calories. Nuts, seeds, nut butter, dark chocolate, cheese, olive oil, eggs, avocados, houmous... all those things are nutritious, and all can help to add the calories up. You can also drink your calories in the form of milk, nut milk, smoothies and protein shakes. Keeping in (at least) some of the foods you love will also make this a far more enjoyable, and sustainable process. Losing weight is hard, but it doesn't have to be torture!

Very often, when people under-eat, their hormones stop telling them that they're hungry. So, not having an appetite isn't actually a sign that your body doesn't need more food. Add some more calories in, and you'll probably find that your appetite returns.

With more than 100lbs to lose, I'm sure that you want to get it off as quickly as possible now. That's understandable. Unless you've got serious health problems right now that depend on you getting the weight off really fast, losing as fast as possible isn't the best way in the long run. You risk losing more lean mass than is necessary, which will ultimately affect your metabolism. 2 lbs a week is very reasonable for your weight now, and as you get closer to goal, losing at a slower rate would be best.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options

I know its better to just lose two pounds a month. I'm just over zealous on that part. I'm having problems hitting my calorie goals and then in the evenings I try to eat more to catch. That's my biggest problem I don't eat enough which didnt ever make sense before. Of course what I did eat was never that healthy

Stop trying to change everything so drastically. If you are still eating unhealthy foods, it's not great, but as long as you stick within your calorie limits you will still lose weight as you are creating a deficit. Over time you can start introducing different ways of eating but to begin with don't overload yourself with such big and drastic changes to your diet. 1200 cals is already is a big change to make.

I am assuming you meant 2lbs per week not month? 2lbs per month isn't that great if you are eating 1200 cals per day deficit, in fact it's pretty awful.

If you are genuinely struggling to hit 1200 cals a day, you are seriously under eating and need to up the amount you eat per meal instead of cramming it all in at night when you are nowhere near it. Although I find it hard to believe you are actually a lot under 1200 per day, unless you have a borderline eating disorder.
    When I was on 1200 per day I was starving 90% of the time.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Your body has micronutrient needs; vitamins, minerals etc, that need to be met and this is hard to do on extremely low calorie levels, which can lead to hormonal issues and other deficiencies if you do it over a long period of time.

Your body also has a basal energy requirements to keep your heart beating, breathing, digesting, thinking etc. If your energy isn't coming from food, and exceeds your body's ability to metabolise fat into energy, that energy will come from other tissues; bone, muscle, organs etc.

So.

Do you really want to keep undereating?
  • lisamac62
    lisamac62 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    With not being able to see your diary it is hard to tell. However, I agree with love4fitnessl they have excellent advise, the only thing I want to add to that....
    Are you eating enough fruits and veggies? Eat an orange or clementine or kiwi with breakfast or make a veggie omelet. Have a HUGE salad with 4 oz of lean meat for lunch, in a shaker or jar w/lid or small bowl w/lid mix olive oil and balsamic vinager or red wine vinager for the dressing. For dinner fill up half or over half of your plate with those veggies. For your snacks have celery with laughing cow cheese or hummus, or carrot sticks and hummus or chunks of watermelon or cantaloupe or a banana or an apple and peanut butter or sliced berries.
    Always remember to weigh and measure everything you put in your mouth.
    These have been the things that have made me successful.
    Good luck and feel free to add me as a friend.
    Lisa
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

I eat between 3,000 and 4,000 cal a day - all "good" calories as you say. Check out my diary if you're interested.

but yes, if your calorie levels are set at 1200, that's no bueno. you need to eat more.
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options

Greater than 2 pounds a week is NOT advisable. If you're working out you should eat more since the program has already built in a 1000 calorie deficit--which is HUGE.

To get more good calories in...eat more fat. Here's some ideas:

1) olive oil--use it on salads, to cook eggs/protein/etc ....add 1 tbsp and you've increased your calories by 120
    2) nuts--add an ounce to a snack = 160 calories
    3) avocado --depending on the amount you could easily add 200 calories
    4) seeds --about 160 calories per ounce
    5) fatty fish/lean red meal --add in a 4 ounce serving and you've added ~200 calories
    6) low fat NOT nonfat dairy--120 calories for milk vs 80, 90-110 calories for cottage cheese vs 80, etc
    7) eliminate diet foods--1 slice "light/low carb" bread = ~40 calories vs 80 calories for ezekiel bread

2 lbs/wk loss for someone who needs to lose more than 100lbs is fine. especially at your age when risk factors are higher. Its more danger to have the weight on than lose it. Your on the right path, eat calorie dense foods as suggested to hit your daily goals. Walk as much as possible, until you can get up to a light jog and keep progressing. It would be best to have a annual physical to get blood work and the OK from your Doc if you haven't already. You'll get there before you know it. Good luck and best wishes.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    In addition to what everyone said, make sure you're using your food diary to plan your food, not just to record your food, so you're not trying to play catch-up at the end of the day.

Fill in your breakfast, lunch and dinner early in the day. See what you're low on - make sure you're getting plenty of fruits and vegetables, plus meeting your fat and protein goals - and add food accordingly. It's easier to add 100 extra calories to each meal and snack than it is to try to make up 500 calories at the end of the day. An extra slice of cheese on a sandwich, an extra ounce or two of chicken with dinner, full fat dressing instead of no-fat on a salad, etc.