Constipation problems

Options
Since starting to diet and exercise 3 weeks ago having a problem with constipation. I have tried eating prunes and have taken stool softeners even had to take a laxiative. Does anyone have a helpful tip for this problem?

Replies

• CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I try to get in 30g of fiber (mostly through fruits, veggies, oatmeal, other whole grains) everyday and don't really have a problem... Maybe a fiber supplement?
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    If your calories are too low, things will stop moving.

Lots of water, fruits and veggies, a good amount of whole grains, things should work again!
  • ClassicStyles
    Options
    Use Nopolina.

http://www.amazon.com/Nopalina-Flax-Seed-Capsules-240/dp/B001PI7X0G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1364738873&sr=8-2&keywords=napolina+flax+seed+plus

Totally great for constipation and overall wellness - including weight loss - for me. Full of Omega 3's, Flax Seeds and has a touch of senna for the constipation issue. Totally natural. I am a big fan and use it every day.

Good Luck.

Theresa
  • Elpaw4mbv
    Elpaw4mbv Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Get your water in, and then some. Upping your fiber will help but I find that if I am not getting enough water in (and for me its 8 glasses if I am not exercising daily, 10 if I am) then all the fiber just makes me gassy and constipated...also try dried apricots rather than prunes.
  • x3na1401
    x3na1401 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Psyllium Husk.

Google it.

Much better than a laxative, and natural.
  • x3na1401
    x3na1401 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    And LOTS of water
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're getting plenty of healthy fats as well - often people go all low or non-fat and this is the result. We need healthy fats along with the fiber & fluids to keep things moving. Avocado, nuts, nut butters, olive & coconut oils....
  • trulycrazed
    trulycrazed Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Fats+H2O+Fiber+moving= Awesome bowel movements.
    It's often undervalued but make sure you're getting enough fat in your diet. No fat = no mucus production in your bowels= no poop...
    Try not to use laxatives or stimulants, they will only make it harder to poop naturally later. Sometimes with a diet change it takes the body a little to figure out whats going on.
    Lastly youtube 'Self colon massage'. It's quite helpful!
  • patty1138
    patty1138 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    fennel tea and senna has worked for me
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Had the same issue when I first joined MFP. Increasing fiber helps, as does drinking more water. If all else fails, try the Ultra Fiber tablets with psyllium and prunes....they work
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I am not sure why but if i walk on my tredmill i almost instantly need to go i drink tons of water and eat lots of veggies :)
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Get enough healthy fat, when I lower my fats I always have issues. Plus lots of water & exercise helps too.
  • mxzilla
    mxzilla Posts: 14
    Options
    Early in my diet, I had this problem. I was drinking TONS of water and getting LOTS of fiber and good fats, but I was in agony for about a week and a half. :\

The problem was that I wasn't eating enough calories. It's not just energy levels that suffer if you go too low. Thankfully, I've wizened up a bit and learned from that experience haha.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Raisins work very well for me. Plus more water. :drinker:
  • jeannemarie333
    jeannemarie333 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Bump.

Why would you bump such an old thread? :/
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Bump.

Why would you bump such an old thread? :/

Maybe because this is such a common problem, and no matter how old the thread it could still help someone :)
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    But bumping without a question is odd.