Walking and swelling

Options
Ok, I'm a new kid when it comes to this exercise stuff, so dont fault me for the question.

When I walk in the evenings my hands swell, retain water, whatever you want to call it - why? and how do I help it NOT happen? It almost becomes painful.

Insights..anyone...please :smile:

Replies

• Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I don't know, but when I walk on a treadmill, the same thing happens to me. I end up shaking my hands over my head, trying to get the blood to flow back down into my body.
  • misc02u
    misc02u Posts: 25
    Options
    me too!
    bump
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I have this problem sometimes, too - Curious to see if anyone knows the science behind why it happens.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I am not sure exactly why, but I always thought it was from keeping my hands below my heart for so long while doing something exerting. It doesn't happen when I run, since I keep my arms up.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Here are a couple articles that might help:

Why do hands swell?
    http://health.msn.com/health-topics/heart-and-cardiovascular/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100205913

How to prevent it from happening?
    http://walking.about.com/cs/med/a/swollenhands.htm

Hope this helps.
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    My guess would be, you're getting dehydrated. I know it sounds wrong, but the less you drink the more water the body stores and the more you drink, the more you get rid of all the water and toxins in your body. I retain water in my legs and hands, sometimes it get's really bad when the heat is up. A couple of things to try 1) drink more water, 2) to get the blood flowing elevate legs or hands after you get done exercising 3) cool soaks ( put your feet or hands in a bucket of cool water for about 10 min. or so)
    Hope that helps