Ladies, to weigh or not to weigh?

Options
Hi guys, I have a kinda stupid question...My period is due in less than a week and I feel bloated and crappy. I was supposed to weigh in today, but I'm afraid to step on the scale as I am afraid of seeing the extra water weight pounds that may or may not be there. I don't wanna look and get disappointed or discouraged. So my question is, do you weigh in during this time or would you just wait til after your period has come and gone?

Replies

• JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I wait til after my period.
  • emmymcq
    emmymcq Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I always weigh after.
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I don't go near the scale during or around that time on month. I can retain a lot of water and its just makes for a crappy day!
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I weigh a week before, then about 4 days after the start of my period. Very discouraging to measure the bloat!
  • cjjc1001
    cjjc1001 Posts: 27
    Options
    I know that normally I tend to put on as much as 6 or 7 lbs in water weight when I menstruate, so I really think I probably should wait! Thanks for the input ladies!
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I vote throw away the scale and go by measuring tape & clothing fit alone. Much more satisfying & every tiny bit of progress shows up.
  • fausto412
    fausto412 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, I have a kinda stupid question...My period is due in less than a week and I feel bloated and crappy. I was supposed to weigh in today, but I'm afraid to step on the scale as I am afraid of seeing the extra water weight pounds that may or may not be there. I don't wanna look and get disappointed or discouraged. So my question is, do you weigh in during this time or would you just wait til after your period has come and gone?

do it before and do it after...see what the difference is to your body. good info to know in the future.

I loose about 3 to 4 lbs while I sleep...so when sometimes I weigh in before bed I can predict having a good weigh in come morning usually. I weigh myself everyday.
  • suzbaru
    suzbaru Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I weigh in each and every week on my weigh in day. I've never gained when I have my period, but even if I did...I'd know why. I'm confident enough in my diet and eating plan that I know it is working...so if it blipped up because I am retaining water and bloated, it would just be information. I don't like to hide things from myself...that never ends well for me.

This exactly. Weigh once a week, same day/time no matter what. Keep drinking water you shouldn't really bloat unless you are doing something out of the ordinary from the rest of the month diet wise, exercise, etc.
  • cjjc1001
    Options
    @ Fausto, I took your advice. I am 2 lbs. heavier than I was at my last weigh in, but I was way under my calorie goals all week and exercised my butt off every single day, so I am going to assume this is water weight and hope it goes away for my next weigh in! Thanks everyone for your input. I really appreciate it!
  • cjjc1001
    Options
    @suzbaru, I have always been one to bloat..a lot...since I was 13 years old and got my first period. I also have internal womanly issues for which I am actually having surgery tomorrow. Everybody is different and I've never met a single woman in my life who does not bloat on their period, so maybe you're just lucky.
  • FrustratedYoYoer
    FrustratedYoYoer Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I weigh every week regardless. I find that hormones affect the scale at all times of the month, not just right before TOM. I don't let it affect me as I know that it's not me or the diet, just hormones. If it will throw you off track tho I wouldn't bother
  • cjjc1001
    Options
    Thanks for your help, everyone!! I did weigh in. No more advice necessary. See you on the boards!
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I weigh every week regardless, but I don't really have any side effects from my period such as weight gain. I tend to find my scale just stays the same if it doesn't reduce on that week.
    If you weigh you can use it for future reference as to how much you gain/lose around your period.
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Skip it until after your period, since it will probably be inaccurately high right now and not only is that demotivating, but it's totally pointless - you won't be able to see the truth anyway.
  • TinaLRoman
    TinaLRoman Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I weigh the same day each week first thing in the morning regardless of my period. I already know I tend to bloat around my TOM and take that into consideration. I don't worry so much about week to week fluctuations but monitor the trend over time.