TDEE calculation?

Options
I'm rather confused about TDEE. I just went onto a site that says my TDEE is 2297 per day. If that is true, should I be eating more calories than my alloted 1370?

I don't understand how MFP says one number, 1370 then this site say 2297, which will increase when I go back to work in May!

Thanks for your input :flowerforyou:

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Try the spreadsheet found in this thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/750920-spreadsheet-for-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones

It takes into account:

Height
    Weight
    Measurements
    ^
    Uses this info to estimate Body Fat %
    ^
    Asks about hours of different types of activity you do in a week (if you enter info here you won't eat back exercise cals, if you mark everything 0 then you will eat exercise cals back)
    ^
    Uses a combination of all the above factors to calculate BMR, TDEE, and lowest amount of cals you can eat to safely lose weight.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Your TDEE is your maintenance level of calories per a given activity level. To lose weight, you eat below your TDEE...i.e. a calorie deficit from maintenance. The calorie goal MFP gives you has a calorie deficit in it...judging by those numbers I'd say you put your goal to lose 2 Lbs per week...roughly 1,000 calorie per day deficit from TDEE.

TDEE is maintenance...MFP's goal is a deficit from maintenance.

Keep in mind that MFP uses your NEAT for activity level calculation (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis)...so doesn't include exercise as part of your daily activity which is why you're supposed to eat back exercise calories per the MFP method.

TDEE does include exercise as TDEE is Total Daily Energy Expenditure...it's everything....if you use the TDEE method (i.e. TDEE-x%). Do not confuse the two methods or you will jack yourself up.
  • Kamile69
    Kamile69 Posts: 87
    Options
    Your TDEE is your maintenance level of calories per a given activity level. To lose weight, you eat below your TDEE...i.e. a calorie deficit from maintenance. The calorie goal MFP gives you has a calorie deficit in it...judging by those numbers I'd say you put your goal to lose 2 Lbs per week...roughly 1,000 calorie per day deficit from TDEE.

My weight loss per week is set for only 1 pound loss and I haven't lost anything at all in 3 weeks!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

My weight loss per week is set for only 1 pound loss and I haven't lost anything at all in 3 weeks!

There are about a billion different possibilities here. In my experience, most people who have this issue aren't accurately accounting for their calories...most people with this issue eyeball servings, etc rather than weighing and measuring all of their food.

Also, do you exercise? Do you eat back exercise calories? As I noted, MFP uses your NEAT...if you're exercising a lot and don't eat back exercise calories, you're under fueling yourself. If you have too large a deficit, you will stall your metabolism as your body shuts down "non-essential" functions in order to conserve energy for primary functions like breathing and what not. This is why I get so frustrated with people doing endless hours of cardio trying to burn a gazillion calories when they already have a substantial deficit in their diet..just more harm than good when you do that.
  • Kamile69
    Options

There are about a billion different possibilities here. In my experience, most people who have this issue aren't accurately accounting for their calories...most people with this issue eyeball servings, etc rather than weighing and measuring all of their food.

Also, do you exercise? Do you eat back exercise calories? As I noted, MFP uses your NEAT...if you're exercising a lot and don't eat back exercise calories, you're under fueling yourself. If you have too large a deficit, you will stall your metabolism as your body shuts down "non-essential" functions in order to conserve energy for primary functions like breathing and what not. This is why I get so frustrated with people doing endless hours of cardio trying to burn a gazillion calories when they already have a substantial deficit in their diet..just more harm than good when you do that.
    Okay, this is all good information. To answer, yes I do log very accurately everything I eat. I never eyeball anything, right down to using a tablespoon for my coffee cream. Also, I am an avid walker. I usually walk at least 3 miles a day and depending on my day, I usually eat back 1/2 my exercise calories.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

Okay, this is all good information. To answer, yes I do log very accurately everything I eat. I never eyeball anything, right down to using a tablespoon for my coffee cream. Also, I am an avid walker. I usually walk at least 3 miles a day and depending on my day, I usually eat back 1/2 my exercise calories.

So you are using moderate activity numbers?
    Correct?
  • Kamile69
    Options
    I just had to check. On MFP it says sedentary, lightly active, moderately active, etc. I have lightly active selected because I am a walker, not a jogger nor do I do weights. In your opinion, should I change that to moderate?
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options

I follow it per the road map Dan wrote (yes the one who is replying in this thread). Using the way he layed it out, I didn't start actually losing weight until about 4 weeks or so into doing it. Since then I have dropped 14 pounds (started using the TDEE/BMR method in the beginning of Jan). You have to really be patient with it. There are weeks were I didn't lose weight but lost inches, and then two weeks later I would drop like 2 or 3 pounds.
  • Kamile69
    Options
    I just had to check. On MFP it says sedentary, lightly active, moderately active, etc. I have lightly active selected because I am a walker, not a jogger nor do I do weights. In your opinion, should I change that to moderate?

Are you eating back your exercise calories? If you are then, wait another week. If you don't lose any weight take away 10% and wait another month.

You mentioned you use a measuring spoons. DO you also use cups? If you are, use a scale.
    I eat back 1/2 my exercise calories usually, depending on my day. Also, yes I do use cups and a food scale.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

This.

You are probably not eating enough and that is why you see no movement (if you have been stuck for months...not just days)
  • jbrown78
    jbrown78 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    bump for later:happy:
  • OdiEtAmoTe
    OdiEtAmoTe Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/tools/calories-burned
    and
    http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced

have me around 3500-4000 cals burned a day. I'm 5'10, 145, male. This site gives me 3100ish, I don't know how much I eat exactly, but I am highly active,
  • Kamile69
    Options
    bump :-)
  • Kamile69
    Options
    and

have me around 3500-4000 cals burned a day. I'm 5'10, 145, male. This site gives me 3100ish, I don't know how much I eat exactly, but I am highly active,
    Thanks for these links, the 2nd one didn't work, but the first one gave me about 2100 - 2200 calories burned a day. I'm short, 5'2", so not sure where to go with this link.
  • Kamile69
    Options
    A friend shared another link with me http://www.cordianet.com/calculator.htm and here is what it gave me:

Caloric Need:

Estimated Base BMR: 1244 Calories.
    Estimated TDEE: 1929 Calories.
    Estimated Daily Caloric Need For Weight Loss: 1429 Calories.

If this is accurate, then my eating 1370 is way under what I should be eating! Very interesting...
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    and

Thanks for these links, the 2nd one didn't work, but the first one gave me about 2100 - 2200 calories burned a day. I'm short, 5'2", so not sure where to go with this link.

Then, depending how much you have to lose, knock up to 20% or max 500 calories off your TDEE and eat that number of calories. Don't eat back exercise calories.

Otherwise, use the MFP calcs and eat back ALL your exercise calories.

They're different ways of calculating activity and food/fuel requirement, but either will work if done properly.

The MFP Way
    Try to make sure you don't eat below your BMR (the calories you'd used staying alive in a coma). For instance, my BMR is about 1340 and adding in a sedentary/desk-job activity level, I burn around 1600 a day. I net 1380 (eat 1380 + exercise cals earned) each day, giving me a deficit of around 220 calories a day. I've been losing just over 0.5lb a week on that regime, but I've only got 7lbs left to lose. If I want to eat more, I have to exercise more!

The TDEE Way
    This adds up all your exercise for a whole week plus your BMR and divides the number by 7 to give you an average number of calories to eat each day. For me this is around 1500 if I do a full lifting & cardio schedule and keep a 250 cal a day deficit.

I prefer the MFP one because I don't always manage my full workout plan, and by eating back what I've earned, if I don't go to the gym, I don't eat as if I have. Other people prefer the simplicity of eating roughly the same amount each day.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    MFP calories = eat back your exercise calories.
    TDEE calories = don't.