Leg cramps

Options
I have been doing some very intense exercises. Doing alot of hiking in mountainous terrain. My calves are killing me though for doing it. Any suggestions? Ive stretched and done all the proper before and after care that comes with exercise, but I have been putting my body under serious physical strain this week. I refuse to stop tho because I love doing it. I just need a way to deal with the aftermath. I take Aleve before I go, but that only does so much and adrenaline does the rest a lil ways in... Its just after its all said and done.... :grumble:

Replies

• ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    In a lot of cases, cramps in the calves is a sign of dehydration. Confirm that you're hydrating well before the hiking and during the hiking (even if you're not thirsty). Hiking in the mountains can be deceptive, since the cool climate will mask your awareness of sweating.

If that's not the problem, maybe evaluate your footwear.

I hope that this issue goes away for you, the hiking activities sound like a lot of fun.
  • moonbutt
    moonbutt Posts: 9
    Options
    i am prone to leg cramps and they got worse when i started weight training again. epsom salt baths really helped me
  • Coyoteldy
    Coyoteldy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    dehydration is usually the first culprit.. you may also have a potassium deficit as well.. when I am doing hard/intense exercise I make sure to increase my potassium intake ( bananas work great)...it helps with the cramping... soreness is just from working :)
  • tanniew78
    tanniew78 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Well also when you are climbing up steep mountain trails and going down them, you tend to use the calves ALOT. I know alot of it is strain because I am far from a light person. People my weight dont normally do what I do. But Ive never let my weight get in the way of what I wanted to see and do. Even if I pay with leg cramps and some pain. The views from up there are worth it. The sense of accomplishment is worth it. Ill probably never be a rock climber but what I do now is good for me. Ill increase my water, tho I do drink alot of it. And Ill start eating a banana a day, cuz I hike every other day.
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Well also when you are climbing up steep mountain trails and going down them, you tend to use the calves ALOT. I know alot of it is strain because I am far from a light person.
    That's a real good point. In that case, you may want to do some research on stretches for the calves. And you may want to consider incorporating some strength-training calf exercises on days where you've not hiked for a few days or won't be hiking in a few days?

Here's a resource that might be of some help: http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/finder/lookup/filter/muscle/id/9/muscle/calves (videos/pictures).
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Have you just started doing this recently? If so, how often are you hiking? If they are steep mountain climbs I would try to have a rest day in between hikes.

Foam rollers do wonders for the calf muscles. You can use pool noodles or go to a running store or sports store and get calf rollers.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I doubt NSAIDs or aspirin will help cramps; soreness maybe, but cramps no. For cramps I would try lots of water and a banana or two on workout days. Rest days always help, and as mentioned, foam rollers might give some relief of tendonitis type symptoms.
  • tanniew78
    tanniew78 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I do have at least a day or twos rest between each hike. Id love to go everyday, but i dont have that kind of time to commit. Thanks for the tips everyone! Im going to use them all. Chances are it will probably just take time to get used to the rugged terrain and steep angles.