Luxurious Coffee Creamer Alternative

Options
My first time being an OP here. :D
My one cup of joe, morning ritual:
The one thing I couldn't get past, in my quest for as clean, beneficial, foods as I can fuel my body with, was how to cream my one, 15 oz cup of coffee each morning. I can't explain it, but I have had an embarrassing love for coffee creamer. I don't normally like foods with any kind of artificial ingredients, and you can't really get more artificial than powdered coffee creamers, can you?
It was my guilty pleasure, as my friends who've seen me prepare my morning coffee know. Anyway, I really wanted to kick that, so I've been trying various alternatives...none very pleasing to me.

Juxtaposed with my coffee issues, was my difficulties getting enough protein into my diet on heavy training days. I avoid soy and meats, with the exception of salmon and tuna and occasionally other forms of seafood. On days I eat fish, I have no trouble getting enough protein, but I don’t want to eat fish every day…concerns about mercury and other pollutants and such.
I *do* eat a lot of eggs, seeds, and nuts and some dairy, but I still wasn’t getting my protein numbers up high enough on weight training days. Also, the dairy and egg protein came with a bit more fat than I cared to add to my daily intake. (Before anybody suggests just eating egg whites, that is not a practice that I believe in. I view the egg yolks as the most nutritionally valuable part of eggs and would never opt to just eating whites.)

Anyway, I started looking at organic whey and vegetable based protein supplements for solving the one issue I was having. I am experimenting with Garden of Life’s “Raw Protein” and with Tera’swhey Grass Fed Organic Whey Protein. Right away I noticed that the Tera’swhey is very creamy tasting. Suddenly I was thinking…”Hmmm, creamy? What would it be like in coffee?”

I’m so excited, so I wanted to share! I've found a solution that is both wonderful tasting, and very healthy for me too. It also solves the issue I was having with being able to get enough protein in my diet, without adding a lot more fat.

The powder is luxuriously creamy and gives me 22 g of protein to boot, while only adding 15 calories of fat. Also, a lot of other nutritional benefits from it. My coffee is creamy and wonderful and, FINALLY, healthy! (OK…as healthy as coffee can be, I guess. ;) )
I'm so happy that my morning indulgence is no longer such a detraction from my otherwise healthy lifestyle.
So, just sharing...in case anybody else would like to explore ways of adding creaminess to their foods/drinks.

If you are interested in trying this, I didn’t try adding it directly to my coffee, because I was a bit worried about it possibly not dissolving well and leaving lumps floating on top. I measured out a couple of scoops (one serving) into my blender with 6 tbsps MimicCream (Almond/Cashew milk creamer) You could likely use regular milk, almond, hemp, coconut milk, or even water.
I whipped it up for a second or two, just to ensure no lumps, then measured it out into my coffee ‘til it was the lightness/creaminess I like. It was FABULOUS! :)

Please reply with ideas you've had for creamin' up your coffee.

Replies

• veganstein
    veganstein Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I also use protein powder (Pure Protein brand)in my coffee. I am not a breakfast eater.
    If you put the powder in the coffee cup, then add a little coffee and smoosh out the lumps, then add the rest of the coffee = no lumps!
    High protein hot mocha in the a.m.!
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    designer whey vanilla... its a guilty pleasure too, i love coffe con leche