Shoes

Options
Iorns78
Iorns78 Posts: 118 Member
I am thinking about purchasing a new pair of running shoes. I have been looking for some time now and the prices vary so much. I would like anyone's input on a good running shoe. I have had two ankle surgeries so stability is very important to me. Thank you!

Replies

• lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    The best advice anyone can give you is to go to a running store where they major in running shoes and ask them. For example New Balance has stores where you can go in and they will measure your foot to get the best fitting shoe, watch you walk to figure out what pronation you have (if you need inserts/arch support/etc) and then based on what type of activity you plan on doing and any past/current injuries will pair you up with the best shoe for you. Yes, it will be expensive (expect ~$100 for a pair of shoes), but it's well worth the money if you find the perfect shoe that will help and not hurt you.

I went to Finish Line in the mall here in San Antonio and got paired up with a great pair of Asics that I absolutely love! When I run it's almost like I'm not wearing shoes because I can't feel the impact on the pavement. Totally worth the $95 I paid for them!
  • hkystar
    hkystar Posts: 1,290 Member
    Options
    If there is a running store around you I would recommend going there and getting fitted for shoes. I got some great shoes after being fitted at a place called Pacers.

I currently use Brooks Defyance and I love them. They are great for my feet.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    again, go to a running shoe store if there is one near you. But www.runnersworld.com and roadrunnersports.com both offer info on running shoes.
  • amandahyg
    amandahyg Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I always spent more money on the rest of my outift rather than my trainers and when I did buy trainers they were usually based on what they looked like. I run about 12 miles a week and recently I have had injury after injury usually involving my left ankle and resulting in time away from running which makes me cranky and irritable.

So I went to get a new pair of trainers from a running shop and they put me on a treadmill for 'video gait analysis' then based the trainer recommendation on the findings. So it turns out I need trainers with support in them and they sold me a pair of New Balance 760. The difference is amazing, I ran in them for the first time on Saturday for about 5 miles - a distance that has me limping the next day but no limping with the new trainers. They are comfy like old slippers but a little heavier than the trainers I used to wear but I suppose I will get used to that.

Anyway hope that helps - they were about £80 which I think is about $120
  • Denimgirl
    Denimgirl Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I just bought my first pair of running/walking shoes. I posted a topic on here and got a bunch of great feedback.

I went to a shoe store in the mall. They measured my foot and fit me in shoes that are 1 size smaller than I normally buy.

I bought a pair of Asics gel cushioned running shoes.

BEST INVESTMENT in my weightloss program. My feet do not hurt at all and my knees are so much better!

They were expensive but worth the money.

The shoe salesman had me try on several different shoes. I tried on one Echo and one New Balance and I liked how the Echo felt. Then I tried on an Echo and an Asics and like the Asics better. I tried on one Asics and the gel cushion soled Asics and the gel cushions were the best. So try on several different shoes to get an idea of what will work best for your foot.