Water pitcher turning green

Options
Kath712
Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
At work, we have Deer Park deliver bottled water because our employer doesn't pay for drinking water. The water cooler is on a lower floor and down the hall from me. So I fill up a pitcher of water every other day or so to avoid going up and down the stairs all the time, not that I mind the walk.... Anyway, on the inside of my pitcher, a green haze develops. It is freaking me out!! Any idea what it is?!

I drink 10 glasses of water a day, so the water is not sitting in the pitcher for more than 1.5 - 2 days before I refill it. When the "green haze" comes back, I scrub the pitcher with dishsoap and water, so it usually washes away. Like I said, it's Deer Park water from the 5 gallon jugs, not tap water. Do you think it's my pitcher? Something in the water? Something in the air? We work in a really old building, so I wonder what's in the air. I've been thinking of putting my pitcher in the fridge - think that might help?

Help! Thanks! :-)

Replies

• mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Eeewwww! I would definitely put the pitcher in the frig and see if that helps. If it doesn't, buy a new pitcher and keep it in the frig. See if that helps. I wouldn't imagine it would be the water, but who knows.
  • BbNuke
    BbNuke Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Call Deer Park and ask them? Yes, I would keep my water in the fridge...
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Green haze sounds like mold.
  • jer2kat
    jer2kat Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have alge growing in you pitcher which is normal for water, espesially standing water. If the pitcher you use is left in bright light or the sun the alge will grow faster also, so try keeping it out of bright lights. Also alge grows in warmer water much faster so if possible keep the pitcher in a mini fridge or even and ice chest. Most Alge isn't harmful, unless it is brown alge, but it is good to wash the pitcher every few days and even bleach it out once a week. Hope this helps.
  • atombud
    atombud Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I would say it is algae growing in the pitcher, if you have it in sunlight it will grow faster. Clean it with a bleach solution to kill the algae and keep it in the fridge.
  • princesspurple
    Options
    it is mold, even if you are only putting water in it, and drinking it rather quickly...the mold will grow because it is always moist.
  • LoriT129
    LoriT129 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    If it isn't your pitcher, it may be copper. Kind of like when high iron turns things orangish, copper will turn things green. I don't think it will hurt you but that is kind of odd for bottled water to have that high of a concentration.
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all! I know, ewww, gross!! :sick: :noway:

You know, I was thinking it could be mold, since I had been keeping my water pitcher on a sunny windowsill. I've moved it off the windowsill, but it still gets warm in here. I bet that's what it is.

Fortunately, I'm not feeling sick or anything from it. Obviously, I don't drink it once I see the green, but still!! :sick: :sick:

Will be breaking out the bleach tonight!! Thanks again!
  • griesr9
    griesr9 Posts: 1
    Options
    It's not mold it's algae. No it won't hurt you. If you keep it in the fridge it will help. You are obviously getting water from a well. The water is untreated.