Help to keep from swelling

Options
First, I'm 21 weeks pregnant, so I know for me that causes swelling in the hotter months, so maybe I can't get rid of it all together, but I'm hoping for tips that I don't know about. I've cut salt to the minimum, not a big salt eater in the first place, so I'm just avoiding some of the things that have more salt in them like too much cheese, making dinner less "savory" lol. I'm also drinking water like there's no tomorrow. I don't know if there are other foods to avoid though, tips on keeping the swelling to a minimum. If anyone has any advice on this, I'd appreciate the help. I figure I'm probably carrying around 10 pounds of extra water weight right now, most of the days, based on my fluctuations and feelings of puffiness.

Replies

• bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    You didn't mention if you drink any kind of pop or not. It is VERY high in sodium. Talk to your doctor and see if there's a medical reason for your swelling. My DIL was really swollen by the time she had her baby though so good luck!
  • skatjon
    skatjon Posts: 29
    Options
    watch your sodium, exercise.. walk, stari master (anything that helps pump blood back to your heart), lay on your back with legs straight up against wall for 30 min at night (helps a lot), increase water consumption.
  • auntbliz
    auntbliz Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    No, I don't drink any pop. I actually don't drink anything other than water, except the lactaid in my cereal. Maybe walking in place inside? Just about anything I do outside makes me swell like a balloon, and it's only in the low 80's still! I was silly and didn't take my ring off before the swelling started, so I'm hoping I can keep it down through the summer so I don't have to get it cut off. When I was pregnant 14 years ago, I had a HUGE swelling problem in the summer, but was young and dumb and the midwife I was seeing didn't say boo about cutting pop and salt, but there was no medical problem with the swelling, just huge and puffy. Gained 60lbs with that pregnancy and within 2 weeks of delivery had lost most of it. Lotta water!