I am so scared... But i need to do this

Options
I really hope this works, I am scared but i am now doing this for me and nobody else, I want to be fit and healthy and watch my daughter grow into a beautiful lady, I am not really sure what to say, if anyone has any advice to push me along i would more than welcome it.

I will be 40 in 3 weeks and people say your life begins then, well i dont want it to begin with me being negative about myself.

Good luck all and please offer any wise words to me :)

Tracy xx

Replies

• kellykat
    kellykat Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Sometimes if you focus on the big goal it can be overwhelming. My advice would be to take each day as it comes and strive for your personal best. Your health is important and it sounds likes you are ready to take the steps you need to. Log everything and be as active as possible. Good luck on your journey.
  • gillian_gail
    Options
    I was extremely frightened by the thought of putting all of my weightloss issues on display for people I'll never meet in person to see. But honestly, I've met some amazing people through this site and their encouragement has been the most amazing thing I've experienced. For me, exercising is the most scary part because I'm no good at it and I can never stick with a program. But since being on this site, I've found so many others with the same problem and just knowing I'm not alone in this is the best feeling.

I wish you the best of luck with your goals, and I'm always here to lend an ear if you need someone to talk to :smile:

--Gillian--
  • aujourdhui
    aujourdhui Posts: 16
    Options
    I hear you! I'm scared too. I just started this major transformation today myself. I've been thinking about my age too, (33), and been feeling like, Ok, my life has GOT to start here!
    I have a boss who was really overweight and has worked at it for years to get to the place she is at now. She works out 5x a week, and is really fit. But, I looked at where she used to be and knew that if she could do it, then I can do it. That's about my only motivation feeling like this really is possible, even for someone like me.
    Good luck! I know YOU can do this too!
    Patrick
  • aujourdhui
    aujourdhui Posts: 16
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement, I will keep that in mind when I head into workout #2 tomorrow!
    Patrick
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    My advise is also my biggest struggle...

Take everyday as that day, each min by the min. Don't worry about what you ate at your last meal, yesterday, last weekend, last month, eat healthy now. A new day is a new chance to start over. It is not all or nothing! Don't look back but learn from your mistakes. You didn't put on weight overnight and that is not how it is going to come off but keep trying to be a better you and one day you will be the you that you deserve to be!
  • rmwilliams0519
    Options
    Just keep in mind we are all here for the same end result. I've been on a site like this once before and it really helped me to start my journey. I have since strayed off the beaten path but am finding my way back.

Just knowing there are people out there like me with the same things going on. Feels good to have friends all around.

One thing I tell myself (my mom always tells me) ....If you drop one egg on the kitchen floor you don't just give up and throw the rest of the dozen down too. Meaning if you slip and mess up on one meal don't give up and eat bad the rest of the day becuase you've already messed up once.

My mom has been on weight watchers for 2 years now and has lost 75+. In all my life I never remember seeing her this healthy.
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement, I will keep that in mind when I head into workout #2 tomorrow!
    Patrick

Just wanted to pop in and say I like your username. :D

As for the original poster- it can be really hard at times. For me, I have NO willpower, so when temptation comes up, I cave. This site has helped me a lot in my journey. It's really great to be with people that know what you're going through.
    I'm always here if you want to talk! =)
  • fabandfitmama
    Options
    I totally was there with you. I was actually afraid to speak (or in this case type) about my dreams of wanting to be healthy and the steps that I would take. Some days I still feel a little nervous about putting my weight loss issues out for everyone to see. I can say that because I have faced those feelings of being nervous and fearful, I am on the right track to getting my health back. Look at this way, people are here because the extra push is what gets you to the place where you want to be. It can be overwhelming to say I wanna lose 50lbs by whatever day instead say today I will drink 8 glasses of water. Take small steps. Remember this about you!!!!! Stay focused and motivated! Hope this helps:)
  • mommamills
    mommamills Posts: 437
    Options
    Sometimes if you focus on the big goal it can be overwhelming. My advice would be to take each day as it comes and strive for your personal best. Your health is important and it sounds likes you are ready to take the steps you need to. Log everything and be as active as possible. Good luck on your journey.

agreed....small goals. one step at a time. before you know it, you're looking in the mirror at a whole new you!!! Good luck. You can do it! :wink:
  • TJ39
    TJ39 Posts: 17
    Options
    Thank you all so much, I came on here and joined with tears, I have now got a smile on my face and know I CAN do this :)
    xx
  • Allibaba
    Allibaba Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

My advice is to just take babysteps. Sometimes if you try to change too much all at once it becomes frustrating and then people give up. Make one (or a couple) small changes then build upon it. And no matter what, never give up! If you have one bad meal or bad day just pick up again and try again to get to where you want to be.
  • mfpchar
    mfpchar Posts: 29
    Options
    I'm trying a new approach and I think its working. I've been trying everything, and its come down to three issues for me:

1. I'm being mindful of what I'm eating and how I'm exercising by logging it. The very fact that you log it will help you think about making a better choice. If I don't make the better choice, that's fine too, but I log it, and I don't guilt myself. I do, however, think about whether I can avoid the situation in the future, and try to set up circumstances to keep me from making the choice. If its an unavoidable, like a social thing and I couldn't help but have some goodies, I tell myself that's the way it is, and as time goes by, I'll be better at saying no. For now, you are learning some new habits, and there's just no sense at all in getting down about continuing to make some bad choices. In the end, if you want to change your habits, logging it here will help.

2. I'm making a handful of friends here, who will give me uplifting comments when I take the initiative about anything. When you have people cheering you for every little effort. Friend me and I'll be there for you!

3. I enjoy exercise, mostly dance, but I used to be a couch potato. Cultivate a love of exercise by thinking of it as your time for you, just for you, to show love to yourself. Find ways to make it enjoyable. I didn't love it overnight. Its a lifelong process. I started at 36, and I'm 42 now. I still gained weight because, at a certain point, I wasn't doing enough for my diet, but the exercise is critical for me. It balances my mood, which helps with eating, and probably more than the calories I burn.

So there it is...

Char