One year today on MFP.......Pic

Options
Teachinjen
Teachinjen Posts: 88 Member
I have posted this in my weight loss group and finally have the courage to post it here, although I am nervous about posting it....

862513b0-8532-44db-aa5a-51a5bed9ac8b_zps19be536f.jpg

Reposting my story:

I am afraid to post it, because unlike what most might think, I did not take the easy way out.....I have always battled my weight since middle school. I've tried it all Nutrisystem, Weight Watchers, Topps....You name it. Back in 1999 I met the love of my life through the internet. When we married in 2002 I was close to 400 pounds. We made a commitment to each other to get healthy. We decided to try to get gastric bypass surgery. It wasn't an easy decision, but our health was in jeopardy. We ended up having our surgery within a month of each other in 2004 due to a change in insurance. I lost almost 160 pounds, and my husband lost over 300 pounds. I managed to keep most of it off until 2010 when my dad's cancer came back and it was determined to be terminal.....I dealt with my stress of his illness for the next two years by making the wrong food choices, and just eating crap. I gained back about 60 of those pounds over the two years. Last February my dad took a turn for the worse. I headed home, and spent his last week and a half with him, my mom, brother and sister. He passed away during the night after we had all fell asleep. About a month later, I was sitting there thinking about my dad, and I knew the one thing he always wanted for me was to be healthy and have a family of my own.....I want children of my own more than anything in the world. I love my nieces and nephews more than anything, but it is not the same...So I started searching for a tool to help me get back on track..... and I found Myfitnesspal.....I have been committed to it for 1 YEAR TODAY, logging my food and exercise every single day......Every time I think about giving up and going back to my old habits I think of my dad and how proud he would of been of me.....That's my story, I am afraid to share it because so many have negative feelings about gastric bypass..........But I am going to share and hope for the support I have already been shown.....Bottom line I want to be a mom, and I want to make my dad proud.......

On top of above I also found out in 2010 that my iron levels had dropped so low that I was severely anemic to the point where I had to get two units of blood. I am now followed by a hematologist and have my iron levels checked every two months. My body has a hard time absorbing iron orally, so about once a year I have to go in and get an iv iron infusion. I need to have my body as healthy as possible to be a mom, because I will already have one thing against me a battle with maintaining my iron......I will still be considered high risk for pregnancy, but a healthier weight will certainly help.

Don't think that people that do surgery take the easy way out, it is a hard and difficult path to take......... Here is my transformation from the day of my dad's funeral until today!

Replies

• Tricep_A_Tops
    Options
    Amazing transformation! Congrats on your dedication and hardwork!
  • Teachinjen
    Options
    Thank you!
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    You've come a long way already and I have no doubt you'll continue on. After all, you have several excellent reasons to become healthy. Continue to work for what you want!
  • Teachinjen
    Options
    I should add on to this that since the beginning of January I have been battling a leg injury, so little or no exercise. I have been in a walking boot and a cast. I still managed to lose weight! No excuses!
  • honeybunny32
    honeybunny32 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Cheers to you!
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    Awesome job, you should be very proud of yourself :) Keep up the good work!
  • tvixy
    tvixy Posts: 11
    Options
    Wow! Amazing story! Great job! I hope you will continue being motivated and reach your goal weight ! :)
  • paulachesher
    paulachesher Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    well done xx
  • Cherity7852
    Options
    Great job! You're doing wonderful!
  • lyndyloolaa
    lyndyloolaa Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Wow, very inspirational - congratulations! x
  • Kifissia
    Kifissia Posts: 136
    Options
    Congratulations! I am humbled by your strength and honesty. Thank you for sharing and inspiring! Please do not apologize for making the decision to have gastric bypass. You do not need to explain your choices and decisions to any of us.
  • jazzy227
    jazzy227 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Way to go you look awesome!!!!! :smile:
  • PosterGuy1
    PosterGuy1 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Can I ask you you put this picture together.
  • PosterGuy1
    PosterGuy1 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    If anyone could tell me how to make a pic like the one in the OP, that would be great.:smile:
  • Teachinjen
    Options
    I made a powerpoint slide, saved it as a jpeg, uploaded to photobucket and used the linking info to post it!
  • petersonabt
    petersonabt Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Awe hun don't be nervous! you have worked hard and done great! be proud! you look great! congrats on the weight loss!!
  • mightdomightnot
    mightdomightnot Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    you have done amazingly well...I lost my Dad to cancer recently too and know how hard that is....you've done a great job in his honour.

kat

ps i don't always wear bunny ears :)
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    great job :) keep it up
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Awesome job & commitment to self.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Keep up the great work!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!