Tummy exercises for hubby with hernia

Options
Morning,
Hubby started out at almost 400lbs and is now hovering around 320 since he doent cycle to work anymore. Too look at him his arms and legs are quite thin and all of his weight in on his tummy which hangs quite a bit. A while ago he managed to get himself a hernia on his left side (at least the doctor says its a hernia) and its often quite painfull.
I was wondering if anyone knew any good exercise to target his tummy that he could do without straining himself and hurting it futher. Any links to vids or anything would be a great help, thanks!

EDIT: I should also mention he works 5days a week and walks around more often than not, he also walks with me on the weekends.

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce fat. It will come off where you body decides it will come off when. No amount of exercise aimed at your stomach will make you lose fat there. He must continue to watch his diet and do what he can, exercise wise. I'd take to his doctor about what exercises he can and can't do. Is he having surgery?
  • Boobarella2
    Options
    You can't spot reduce fat. It will come off where you body decides it will come off when. No amount of exercise aimed at your stomach will make you lose fat there. He must continue to watch his diet and do what he can, exercise wise. I'd take to his doctor about what exercises he can and can't do. Is he having surgery?

I understand you cant spot reduce fat, thats not what I was asking. I would just like to know of any gentle exercises that engage your stomache more than other parts of the body. I was under the impression that you could target certin areas in order to tone them and build muscle? Or are you saying that by lifting a dumbell you could be inadvertantly toning your calve muscle?

He is not getting surgery, the doctors have just told im to come back when he has lost weight.
  • imjusme
    imjusme Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I would advise your hubby to get a compression abdominal binder. A hernia is a bulge of intestine through the abdominal wall....or umbilicus (belly button). Working out the stomach could make this worse or strangle the hernia which would mean emergency surgery! By wearing a binder he can support the stomach and hernia and the pain should lessen. I am sure when he coughs or strains you can see the hernia area get larger or bulge out.....this is what you want to avoid. Obviously the compression binder should not be uncomfortable or pinch and should just offer moderate support. Also, strengthening the lower back helps...the abdomen and lower back work hand in hand. I am by no means an expert...just an ICU nurse in a prior life and now I am a certified registered nurse anesthetist (put people to sleep for surgery).
    Swimming would be great for him and walking. The belly fat will go down eventually even without "targeting" abs. Sounds like he is doing great! Good luck!
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as toning. One looks "toned" after losing fat and the muscles one already has start to show. Yes, you can build the muscle, but that is difficult to do at the same time one is trying to lose weight. If eating at a deficit, which one much do for fat loss, then building muscles is difficult. It can happen with someone new to lifting, but that evens out after awhile. To build muscle, one must eat at a surplus, generally speaking. As for exercises to strengthen the core, he should ask his doc and get medically cleared. I like planks as a aimple, ful core move. perhaps look at apme Pilates ab workouts. No need for sarcasm. I was trying to be helpful.
  • Boobarella2
    Options
    I would advise your hubby to get a compression abdominal binder. A hernia is a bulge of intestine through the abdominal wall....or umbilicus (belly button). Working out the stomach could make this worse or strangle the hernia which would mean emergency surgery! By wearing a binder he can support the stomach and hernia and the pain should lessen. I am sure when he coughs or strains you can see the hernia area get larger or bulge out.....this is what you want to avoid. Obviously the compression binder should not be uncomfortable or pinch and should just offer moderate support. Also, strengthening the lower back helps...the abdomen and lower back work hand in hand. I am by no means an expert...just an ICU nurse in a prior life and now I am a certified registered nurse anesthetist (put people to sleep for surgery).
    Swimming would be great for him and walking. The belly fat will go down eventually even without "targeting" abs. Sounds like he is doing great! Good luck!

Thanks, the "bulge" in his side gets not bigger nor any smaller but it does cause him pain. I will look into compression pants for him, thanks.
  • Boobarella2
    Options
    There's no such thing as toning. One looks "toned" after losing fat and the muscles one already has start to show. Yes, you can build the muscle, but that is difficult to do at the same time one is trying to lose weight. If eating at a deficit, which one much do for fat loss, then building muscles is difficult. It can happen with someone new to lifting, but that evens out after awhile. To build muscle, one must eat at a surplus, generally speaking. As for exercises to strengthen the core, he should ask his doc and get medically cleared. I like planks as a aimple, ful core move. perhaps look at apme Pilates ab workouts. No need for sarcasm. I was trying to be helpful.

I wasn't being sarcastic, I just dont like being told somthing doesnt exist when I have read and heard about it here and other places. I dont think I'm stupid so I dont like to be talked down too. Im pretty sure "toning" does exist, infact I'm pretty sure it referes to developing leanness and muscle definition.
    I didnt think my question was a dificult one to understand. I only asked for abdominal exercises that are low impact and easy for someone carrying alot of weight. I'm so sorry to have caused so much fuss and aparently being rude.
  • imjusme
    imjusme Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Just want to clarify, not compression pants.....but an abdominal binder. It just goes around the abdomen, usually they are wide and wrap around and attach with velcro. Can be worn under clothing or directly on skin. Do a google search for "abdominal binder for hernia" and see what you come up with.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Losing fat reveals more muscle, aka "toning."