Running whilst dark?

Options
I like to get my run in at the start of my day. The days here are getting shorter and shorter with the sun not rising til 7.30. Is it ok to run whilst dark? Any tips?

Replies

• Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Find a headlamp. I used one all winter here for my morning walk. I used a coleman model from Walmart. It cost around $15.
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Reflective or light coloured clothing is probably a good idea too, for visibility.
  • runner2runner
    runner2runner Posts: 1,937 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're from the Southern Hemisphere. I'm from South Africa so I'm in the same boat as you. Run where it's nicely lit and avoid secluded areas with thick bush. I'll be honest though, unless you're 6'5 or a black belt in karate, running at night, especially if you're by yourself is not safe at all.
  • butterflylover527
    butterflylover527 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Try to be safe! I watch too many crime shows. Be prepared with items, like pepper spray, just in case. And some kind of reflective shirt so people (drivers) can see if you if any happen to pass. And a light so you can see where you're going. Be safe!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely get a vest. I also have a blinking slap-bracelet style arm band (got it at Walmart) and a reflective hat. You can find reflective tape online and apply it to a hat or jacket that you already own.

Check out the Nathan brand - they have tons of styles of vests, armbands, hats, lights, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_sporting-goods?_encoding=UTF8&field-brandtextbin=Nathan&node=3375251
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't think it's as safe as running during the day for a lot of reasons.
    If you run by a road where you are safer in one sense, it's dangerous with lots of traffic and lowered visibility.
    But if you road somewhere secluded, that's opening up all new levels of danger. Or maybe I just read too many thriller books!
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Cars typically have headlights on in the dark. This makes them very easy to spot and avoid. Assume that they can't see you and avoid them, instead hoping they avoid you.

Run into traffic, that way the ones you don't have a constant eye on are on the other side of the road.
  • Emilie04444
    Emilie04444 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I try to stay aware. Not play music too loud. I prefer running when the sun is going down. I say just always be on alert. My issue in NY isn't not being seen by cars, it's trying not to get attacked. Pepper spray is a good idea, although I haven't gotten it yet.
  • alychil820
    alychil820 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's the Brooklyn in me... but running in the dark? Noooo. Too unsafe.
  • randysbombshellgirl
    randysbombshellgirl Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I use a combination of a reflectors vest and head lamp. My only issues have been running across skunks and a coyote. :tongue:
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    When I run to work, it's 5am-6am. It's always pitch black, no matter what time of year it is. I don't wear a headlamp because it would give me a wicked headache, so I wear a reflective belt and I have reflective running shoes. I get off the road for cars so they don't feel like they have to give me room (I do not have the right of way, the road belongs to cars). On especially narrow roads, I will stop and step into the ditch if I need to. I stay away from neighborhoods that are questionnable and I always have my cell phone in my running pack.

I've never had a problem.
  • puckers82
    puckers82 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I used to run in the mornings whilst dark, im not brave enough to have my flab going everywhere in the daylight lol Stick to streets with lights and have a phone or something with you. Like said reflective clothing.

I also read that women was safer running alone in the mornings whilst dark than the evenings when more attacks happen.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Seriously, the criminal element in my area sleeps in, so morning runs are undisturbed and much safer. There is also much less traffic. Many brands of running gear have reflective stripes worked into the design and even ICE bands. The light from a cell phone is eye-catching and high-vis reflective vests are cheap.

I, too, prefer to run in the dark. So peaceful!
  • DandelionCupcakes
    DandelionCupcakes Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Depends on the area you're in- it's always best to be safe and armed with pepper spray. I've been running in the dark for a year now and I'm still alive and kicking, so I wouldn't worry too much <3

Probably don't wear all black, lol. Keep your eyes/ears open. I'd also always run on the side of the street where you can see cars coming towards you as opposed to coming up behind you.
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Reading some of the replies I have to say I am happy I live in a more remote area on an acreage. Its rare if I meet two cars during the morning wake up jaunt. My neighbors think I am nuts. :)
  • peterh450
    peterh450 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I grabed a Coleman headlmp and reflective vest from Kmart. Early morning jogs make you feel more invigorated for the day. Neighbours still think im nuts as its getting cooler in Canberra.