Hate the scale!!

Options
Hi everyone! Every time I step on the scale, I expect results and it just isn't happening. It makes me depressed and triggers emotional eating. I don't have that much to lose so I shouldn't be complaining, but it's just so frustrating! Part of me wants to throw the scale out, but I want to make sure I'm actually losing the weight. What do you do to keep yourself focused on your goals??

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Well, you have to be patient. If the scale is irritating you, the obvious answer is to weigh yourself less frequently and use other measures of success.

Such as:
    - I logged all my food today
    - I ate vegetables in all three meals today
    - I stopped having sodas

- My measurements are going down by XXX
    - I walked/ran further or faster
    - I added a new physical challenge

Weight loss is but one small consideration if you don't base everything on that.
  • SeahorseDolphin
    Options
    Trust the process. You don't need the scale to validate your progress. If you find it triggering then all it is doing is holding you back.
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    You should set it aside and get a measuring tape. That way you can track how many inches you lost.
    I remind myself why I'm doing this.
  • PaleoChocolateBear
    PaleoChocolateBear Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options
    Scales are evil, use them at most once a month
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options

^^^^end of thread
  • SeahorseDolphin
    Options

Doing this completely changed my entire outlook on everything ever. Even once a week was frustrating idk how people do it every day and stay on track.
  • Rockstar_JILL
    Rockstar_JILL Posts: 514 Member
    Options

Good idea! I should take this advice!
  • sweetcaroline109
    sweetcaroline109 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Doing this completely changed my entire outlook on everything ever. Even once a week was frustrating idk how people do it every day and stay on track.

You are so right- thank you!
  • BlackEyedPanda
    BlackEyedPanda Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Personally, I need the scale. I weigh myself every single day. I never expect to have lost anything, but I will be happy if I have. As I weigh myself every single day, I never get that feeling of real success because any difference I see from the day before could just have to do with me having peed before stepping on the scale or having sweat a lot over the night. The reason I step on the scale is that it helps me keep my goal in my mind. If the first thing I do in the morning is weighing myself, I start my day by thinking about my process to get healthier. It works for me.

However, stepping on the scale is NOT a good measure of what you have achieved. I don't think measuring tape is either. What I do instead is that I take a bikini picture of myself every Sunday evening before bed. One from the side, one from the front. Comparing my bikini images is what really shows me my progress. I try to do this even if I have had a really sloppy week. The pictures are just for myself, I would never show them to anyone else. They really help in tracking progress.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    How do you expect to lose if you use emotional eating though?

And yeah the measuring tape isn't a good measure either. I just try and tell myself that even if I'm not losing weight for a while, even if it sucks, I'm still healthier than I was, and I'm not throwing that out of the window.
  • sweetcaroline109
    sweetcaroline109 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    How do you expect to lose if you use emotional eating though?

I don't expect to lose afterward- it basically sabotages my weight loss for the week, but on that rare occasion when I do see an immediate loss (usually after eating lower than 1000 cals or something drastically lower than normal just from being busy), it validates me checking my progress every day on the scale. Kinda twisted...

I agree with what people are saying... I should just throw out the scale and look at how I perceive my body without the number.