What keeps you on track?

Options
MFPfriend
MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
I'm finding myself slipping lately. I feel as if I don't really have the willpower to lose weight. When I see the cookies in the pantry, I eat one... because eating the cookie is easier than logging in all my food everyday. I just don't seem to care anymore. I'm trying to break the pattern though.

I remember when I was on MFP a couple years ago, I would log ALL my food. Then, at the end of the day, I would print out a copy of my food diary, and glue it into a spiral notebook I had. I lost 40 pounds when I did that. I think it was because I am slightly OCD, and having an empty entry in the notebook bothered me (don't ask why I'm not bothered by having an empty entry online, because I could not tell you). Forcing myself to do that everyday made me lose a lot of weight, and at a fast (but still healthy) pace. I miss those days.

Anyway, sorry for the slight ramble, but what keeps you on track and accountable? I need some better ideas- the notebook I used to do is a huge waste of money, and I can't keep it up.

Replies

• smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    My vanity.
    My skinny cloths.
    The comments that I get on how good I look.
    The way that I feel, sooooo much healthier and happier.
    That's what keeps me going.
  • Gerkenstein
    Gerkenstein Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I was having a slumpy week last week and posted something similar this morning.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/103915-blah-i-m-in-a-slump

But what keeps me on track is MFP. I saw a post about someone today who lost over 40lbs and is now in a bikini and so confident, etc. It just rejuvenates me. Also, I track goals, rewards, motivations, in my blog. I hope this helps.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Gerkenstein

Hang in there! We're here to support you!
  • heeney12
    heeney12 Posts: 22
    Options
    I seem to be having the same issue. I want to lose the weight but I find myself giving in and having those chocolate covered pretzels or a piece of chocolate cake. I am logging everything in but there is a part of me that just wants to skip logging in the bad stuff. Then there is that part of me that keeps saying if you do that you are not going to be doing any good for yourself. I am motivated to log in each day even though the weight loss is really slow because it does hold me accountable for the decisions I make. Each day that I look back on I see where my downfall was for that day if I had one and it is easier for me to see where the changes need to be made. Keep in mind that when you don't log in, you don't actually know what you are taking in. So many times I actually forgot that i ate something until I started to really focus on what I am eating. Don't know that this will help but it does help to know you are not alone in the struggle.
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    I've been feeling myself slipping lately too. I think it's because I'm leaving for a vacation tomorrow and have zero idea what the food situation will be like.

When I was on track it was more that I had gotten into a routine than anything in particular. One motivator I have is that I pay myself a couple bucks every time I work out to go towards my "new wardrobe fund."

I'm better about motivating myself to workout, actually. I have a little notebook that I record how many calories I've burned in a day. Then at the end of the day if I'm under or within 50-75 over my calorie goal I give myself a check. If I'm over that, I give myself an X. It's not really anything special, but it helps me to see how consistent I've been. And it makes me reevaluate when I've exercised and then still blew it with overeating.
    I like your food journal notebook idea. I think I might do something like that. If that's what works the best for you, maybe you should try to get back into that habit?

I'm interested to see what others suggest.
  • Emi_the_dork
    Options
    thing that is keeping me going is the progress ive made. Also knowing people with the same problems with PCOS who have successfully lost weight keeps me motivated!

My boyfriend wanted me to tell you that he lost ALOT of weight when he was younger but gained some back and is struggling like you too. Just remember that if you already did it before, you can still do it NOW! You know for a fact you can achieve your goals and the only thing standing in the way is you!

I have temptations with chocolate too.. i try my best to find low cal chocolate treats to keep me on track. For instance i worked out alot today and my reward for today and hiting my goal weight this week was a small bottle of reduced fat chocolate milk...it helped me keep sane but i didnt go over board....i also like the fact of how i feel when i log in my food and can feel good after i eat... i now feel disgusted with myself whenever i over eat or feel full...when i feel lighter i feel more healthy and smaller!

Having pictures that motivate you or even make you feel beautiful on the inside help too... i havent even lost 10 pounds yet but i feel beautiful cause of new eyeliner or a new top i bought and i thought, "just imagine how i will look when i drop all this weight and ALL THE NEW STUFF I CAN FIT IN!"

I have a hard trouble keeping motivation too.. Just remember to mix up your food and workout choices to keep things spiced up!

Hope this helps! Just remember...you have done it before...so you can do it again! Just keep at it!!

<3 Emily
  • Emi_the_dork
    Options
    Read this article! I read it last week and it has kept me on track! I read it everytime i have doubts!!!!

http://health.yahoo.net/articles/obesity/how-keep-your-diet-track

It also has tips on how to keep it on track during a vacation scenario and parties

<3
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Make a list of the reasons why you want to lose weight - it can be fancy or simple, but put it up somewhere you'll see it frequently, or keep it in your wallet so you can pull it out. When you're in a slump - look at it and read it out loud to yourself. Have your reasons changed? Probably not... you just ned to remind yourself why you're on MFP and what your end goal is. :smile:
  • dlrcpa
    dlrcpa Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I think it helps a lot to have a plan. I put my food into MFP in the morning BEFORE I have eaten most of it. I also sort of have a weekly exercise routine - Monday & Thursday is exercise bike and some basic exercises, Tuesday is Yoga class, Wednesday & Friday are supposed to be Step Aerobics DVD (don't always get this done.) Saturday and Sunday yard and housework plus whatever exercises or other stuff I can fit in. Even if I don't follow the plan EVERY day, most days I do get most of it done - eating and exercise - and that's a feeling of accomplishment.
    I love fitting into my old clothes and looking younger than before. I was looking "matronly" (well, I AM 54 but I don't have to look it right?)
  • KirstenDanella1
    Options
    My daughter. The thought of her not having me growing up breaks my heart. Both of my parents passed away when I was 8 and I just don't want her to have to go through that. She's 9 months, and even before she made it to this Earth she's made me a better person. I quit smoking, drinking, I feel I have a purpose now, and let me tell you, being a mother wasn't in my plans. My husband and daughter really are my life, and I want to live long enough for her to really wish I would just die already! Lol:)
  • chelseap891
    Options
    I don't have much to lose but...I'm 125. trying to get down to 115..maybe even 110. I don't know...I'm a tiny girl, I'm made to be tiny, and I want to tone up more than anything. Just to be smaller...fit into smaller clothes...feel better, you know?