What Were Your Biggest Excuses?

Options
Hi everyone!

I realized today that up until recently, I was the person that was so full of crappy excuses that prevented me from really working to lose weight. I literally had an excuse for every possible situation. Here were my top excuses:

- I was PMSing and didn't want to work out
- My hip was hurting (I have a condition in the left hip called Bursitis)
- I was too tired from work
- I had too much homework to do
- Sweating made me break out so I naturally couldn't work out if I wanted to have clear skin!
- I didn't have the money or time to prepare healthy meals

Those were mine... What were yours, and when did you realize that enough was enough?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Meh. I don't like the negativity that comes with the word 'excuse'. Either you are ready or you're not. There's a difference between wanting to lose weight and being ready for a change of lifestyle that you'll have to stick to forever.

Personally, I wasn't ready until a few months ago, that's about it. I could eat all I wanted and not put on much weight (I gained 8 lbs in 10 years. 5 I lost with no effort whatsoever because it was from steroids), so there wasn't much of an incentive to make that change. That's my 'excuse' I guess. But I wasn't making excuses, I just wasn't ready.

I just don't think there's anything wrong with not being ready. You can stop the 'excuses' all you want, but unless you're 100% motivated and determined to lose and keep it off, that won't make much of a difference. And telling people they are giving excuses serves no purpose except making you feel better, IMO. If they're not ready... they're not ready.
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Meh. I don't like the negativity that comes with the word 'excuse'. Either you are ready or you're not. There's a difference between wanting to lose weight and being ready for a change of lifestyle that you'll have to stick to forever.

Personally, I wasn't ready until a few months ago, that's about it. I could eat all I wanted and not put on much weight (I gained 8 lbs in 10 years. 5 I lost with no effort whatsoever because it was from steroids), so there wasn't much of an incentive to make that change. That's my 'excuse' I guess. But I wasn't making excuses, I just wasn't ready.

I just don't think there's anything wrong with not being ready. You can stop the 'excuses' all you want, but unless you're 100% motivated and determined to lose and keep it off, that won't make much of a difference. And telling people they are giving excuses serves no purpose except making you feel better, IMO. If they're not ready... they're not ready.

Hey, you're absolutely right! For some people it's just not being ready. For me, though, it was just straight up excuses - I wanted to do it so badly in my heart but when it came down to it, I kept chickening out.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I see what you mean. If anything I use more excuses not to work out now, I just try to kick myself into gear LOL.
  • baileybiddles
    Options
    I see what you mean. If anything I use more excuses not to work out now, I just try to kick myself into gear LOL.

I still have a terrible time gathering up the motivation to work. I wrestle with myself all day at the office about what to do when I get home or whether or not to do it! But all that matters is that it gets done, now I realize this.
  • angelcurry130
    angelcurry130 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I think my biggest excuse was "It's too expensive to be healthy" That was used from gym costs to eating better. I even managed to convince myself that having to buy an entirely new wardrobe so outrageous that I should stay huge since everything already fit me!

I would also say stupid things like, "...at least I can eat what I want."

*shudder*
  • baileybiddles
    Options
    I think my biggest excuse was "It's too expensive to be healthy" That was used from gym costs to eating better. I even managed to convince myself that having to buy an entirely new wardrobe so outrageous that I should stay huge since everything already fit me!

I would also say stupid things like, "...at least I can eat what I want."

*shudder*

I did the same thing! Honestly. I was like, well, between buying smaller clothes, buying healthier food, spending money on workout clothes and gym memberships.. It's just too much! But it's all worth it now, of course.
  • tbolashana
    tbolashana Posts: 2,707 Member
    Options
    lol

i have some many excuses......

it's too late
    i'm tired
    i'm full
    my knee hurts
    i feel sad because the scale said i gained
    my hair will sweat out LOL
    my body is too sore
    i'm angry
    i'm nauseous
    i have a headache
    i'll be late for work

and they go on and on.....lol terrible.....
  • findingmyfitself
    Options
    I could probably write a chapter in the book of excuses as well!

The biggest, and saddest relaization was that I did not like myself at all and did not feel worthy of being aznything else but fat and miserable. I think that my low self esteem and self worth hurt me more then being fat did.....
  • jacque1129
    jacque1129 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    i would start a diet then give up and say "i was just meant to be fat"
  • JonMartinn
    Options
    The homework one for sure.
  • petersonabt
    petersonabt Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Time. U never had "time" to work out
  • Sunny_fit4life
    Sunny_fit4life Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    "I don't have time..."

Okay, past me... make time.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    In the beginning my biggest excuses were that I worked full time, had an hour commute each way and a preschooler and husband to take care of. I said I didn't have time to make healthy meals or exercise, but I figured it out...then got hit with a whole different ton of bricks. You can read my story here.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/918358-they-cut-my-head-open-your-excuse-is-invalid
  • erickita89
    erickita89 Posts: 422 Member
    Options

This.

I used to get so angry when people were telling me i was making excuses not to lose weight. The truth was that i was in school, worked full time, had alot of projects hw, and didnt want to get locked into a gym contract that i couldnt get out of because i wouldnt have the time to use it. My bf used to say that all these things were excuses and that because i dont have kids that i have no excuse.

I used to get so angry at this because If i have a project to do for school i'll be damned if im going to the gym to exhaust myself mentally from focusing on my work. I'll be damned if im going to be sore and miserable in a class and not be payin attention because of this. i'll be damned to be dieting and thinking about food instead of handling my school work. School always came first. I always said when i was done i would do this and no one believed me.

I got my degree now and i lost 23 pounds in the two months since i finished school. so excuses my *kitten*. i waited till i was READY to focus on my health. Not a moment sooner.
  • baileybiddles
    Options

This.

I used to get so angry when people were telling me i was making excuses not to lose weight. The truth was that i was in school, worked full time, had alot of projects hw, and didnt want to get locked into a gym contract that i couldnt get out of because i wouldnt have the time to use it. My bf used to say that all these things were excuses and that because i dont have kids that i have no excuse.

I used to get so angry at this because If i have a project to do for school i'll be damned if im going to the gym to exhaust myself mentally from focusing on my work. I'll be damned if im going to be sore and miserable in a class and not be payin attention because of this. i'll be damned to be dieting and thinking about food instead of handling my school work. School always came first. I always said when i was done i would do this and no one believed me.

I got my degree now and i lost 23 pounds in the two months since i finished school. so excuses my *kitten*. i waited till i was READY to focus on my health. Not a moment sooner.

That's really awesome for you! Sometimes it can be a good thing to wait it out. God knows I jumped around with losing weight for years before I really started to commit.
  • jackedphilosopher
    Options
    Bad genetics... lol
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Not really excuses, but I did a lot of reading and needed to be absolutely sure that the benefits of dieting would outweigh the negatives. I have heart disease and statistically, overweight heart patients do better in some ways.

I was also worried that I would end up weighing even more. I knew that I had to commit to dieting for life if I was going to do it, otherwise I'd regain. That's actually a pretty big commitment! I've done it now and stuck with it for a year, but I have to admit that it's scary to know that I've chosen this path and I'm stuck with it for life.

The main thing that pushed me into losing weight was that I was trying to get fitter, and I felt that the extra weight was hampering my progress.
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    But I might end up with loose skin!
  • Subowski
    Subowski Posts: 71
    Options
    Hmm, interesting as I've just posted a status about how frustrated I feel for putting in a ton of effort only to put weight ON. :(

I don't bother making excuses as I have none, I just don't seem to be fully committed. Wait...I AM committed to losing weight and feeling fitter - its just that my "commitment" (aka habit) to blanking out misery and fear with food is stronger. :(
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Oh I had every excuse in the book! "I just bought new clothes." "I don't want to spend so much money on a new wardrobe." "I love food too much." "My blood pressure is perfect." (which was true... but not a reason to not lose weight, right?) "Other people are fatter than me." "I can move around just fine."

For exercising:
    - My lower back hurts
    - I get nauseous & dizzy
    - I don't have time
    - I hate going to the gym (this is still true, but no one says you have to hit the gym to work out!)
    - I don't want to disturb the neighbors

For eating healthy I really had one excuse:
    - I lose weight easily, so this one piece of chocolate/pizza/bread/fat won't hurt.
    It is true that I do lose weight very easily, but at the same time gain weight easily also.