Feeling very discouraged

Options
I have been eating right and exercising for the last 51 days and have lost 12lbs so far. I may have lost more I weigh in later today. That in itself is very good and makes me proud of myself. However today I went to the doctors for a follow up visit. She told me I officially have diabetes. I was OK with that, I knew it was coming to that anyway. Then she told me I have to be on medicine now. I have been working so hard and now I feel it was all for nothing. My blood sugars have been in the right level except for a few days when I had a late snack. I do not really see why if I am keeping my sugars down she wants me to take medicine now. I am just so frustrated. She did not even acknowledge that I have changed so much of my lifestyle. I am hoping when she gets my current A1C back she changes her mind. UGH!

Replies

• Joscelle
    Joscelle Posts: 93
    Options
    Sorry for the news... What a bummer. Maybe a 2nd opinion?
  • KristyO
    KristyO Posts: 126
    Options
    It is sad news to be sure, but if you continue on this path of getting healthy you will eventually be off the medication. My dad was on diabetes meds for about year but he was able to lose the necessary weight and now he is off of them! It is a goal YOU can accomplish. 12 lbs in 51 days is stellar; your doctor is probably pretty jaded (I'm sure that she has many more patients that don't do anything for themselves than patients who do).

The only person that matters in this situation is YOU, so keep going and don't let any negativity stop you! We're all cheering you on!
  • ashleet5
    ashleet5 Posts: 1
    Options
    Don't give up! Losing weight and getting back to being healthy is hard and takes time! Stay with it! :)
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Pat yourself on the back . . . cause you are on the right track! It has taken us over a year to get my husband's blood sugar into a healthier range. He stopped taking medication but it wasn't until we had lived with the changes for almost a year. If you keep doing what you are doing you will get there too. Unfortunately it does take more than 51 days to make an impact in this area.

You are doing everything right and you WILL see the results, just be patient and keep doing what you are doing!

PS-my husband ALWAYS has a late evening snack. A couple of small crackers with a little slice of cheese, or a piece of bread with some PB and milk, some carb and protein basically . . . he has to do this to sustain himself throughout the night in addition to eating something every 2 hours. This has helped even out his blood sugar throughout the day and night.

He has VERY rare occurances of higher numbers or that "bad feeling" associated with elevated numbers now.
  • juliasue
    juliasue Posts: 1
    Options
    Dont feel discouraged!!! You have done wonderful in your weight loss!!!!!!!!! ANd your diabetic!! I know quite a few ppl that cant even maintain sugar lvls for a day or two!! You have done amazing do not be discouraged! 12 lbs!!!! IS GRAND!!!!!!!! You are one my new inspirations!!
  • Denimgirl
    Denimgirl Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I would get a second opinion.

If your checking your own blood sugar you know daily if you are in a normal range or not.

I have had blood sugar problems, I have found with a lower carb diet I can control my blood sugar very well.

I would be careful of the medication. Do your research on it.

Exersize also works to greatly reduce blood sugar. Walking on my treadmill at a good pace for 20 minutes after a meal will help it a lot.
  • KatieM7
    KatieM7 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    First off that is awesome that you are changing your lifestyle and that you have lost 12 lbs in 51 days! 2nd she is probably used to having patients that don't change and so it is a one size fits all approach. You know that you have changed your lifestyle and doing better. Either get a 2nd opinion or make it your goal to get off of them quickly. You can do it!
  • KendalBeee
    KendalBeee Posts: 2,269 Member
    Options
    sorry that she put you on meds when you've been doing so well.
  • Robs_Journey
    Options
    Wait and see what your A1C is and maybe get a second opinion. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 5 years ago and I have always been able to control my blood sugars with diet, and most importantly, exercise.
  • sakitchens
    sakitchens Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I did do some research on the medicine she gave me. She gave me a new drug called victoza. The drug just came out in January. I do not know how comfortable I feel taking it. I feel like a guine pig. Thanks for all of your support. I know I can get healthy I am already down to 211.6lbs and I started at 222lbs. I think I am going to wait and see what my A1C is before I actually start taking this medicine. If it is low enough I will not be taking this.