Chia Seeds?

Options
I need some help deciding if it would be a good idea to use it as a nutritional supplement for my family. I need to know more about it, do any of you guys use Chia Seeds??? What are the uses? Side effects? Do we really have to drink 3X more water when taking them. How many times a day should we take them? How much should we take? What are some recipes I could use to sneak them into my kids' diet? Help!

Replies

• TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Chia seed pudding

1 cup almond milk
    2 tbsp chia seeds
    stevia, sugar, or honey to sweeten

mix all together and let sit for 1 hour. mix before serving.
  • JuniperT
    JuniperT Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I'm bumping this because I'd like to know more as well...my bb coach tells me all the time I should be putting them in my shakes, etc but I know nothing about them
  • lovinmyselfagain
    lovinmyselfagain Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    To get the full benefit of chia seeds, they need to be whole, unlike flaxseed, which needs to be ground to get the full benefit. For me, chia seeds don't have any taste. I just bought them for the first time a few weeks ago and I put them in my plain Greek yogurt. It added texture, but not taste. Whereas ground flaxseed to me taste really good and adds an extra something, something to the dish. I don't dislike the chia seeds, but the only reason I'll continue buying them again is because of the health benefits. Being "flavorless" is not necessarily a bad thing, actually is probably a positive if you have picky eaters. But, chia seeds are pricier than flaxseed. I buy Bob's Red Mill brand for both and the ground flaxseed is around $4 and the whole chia seeds are $10. And $10 is a bargain from the research I've done.

Edited to say: I haven't noticed any negative side effects with them. I drink about 8 glasses of water a day anyway and haven't noticed a need/urge to drink more.
  • quarkenstein
    quarkenstein Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I just put them inside yogurt, shakes, applesauce, and sometimes baked goods. I don't really feel too different when eating them, but sometimes I do feel it is a bit more filling after a tablespoon mixed in with my food. It at least encourages me to drink an extra glass of water, so it can't be that bad!
  • WhaddoWino
    WhaddoWino Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I am glad to see this post. I just bought some chia seeds on the recommendation of a fitness friend of mine. She swears by them-- puts them in plain yogurt with honey every morning and she says it keeps her feeling full. I haven't started into them yet but I have been eating hemp seeds on my oatmeal. They are quite nice and keep my belly happy!
  • Fighting4Healthy
    Fighting4Healthy Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    BUMP for more information
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    they turn to a snot texture when wet, which makes it so nasty, I won't go near them.
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I use them interchangeably with ground flax seed in smoothies. I tried chia pudding and didn't care for it. It might make a fun bubble tea situation, though!
  • kiminita
    kiminita Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I just bought some last week. They help keep me full for a lot longer. I've tried them with tea, but have not yet added them to my food.
    I never heard anything about needing to drink more water. If anything, I heard they help to keep you hydrated because of their ability to absorb so much water. I guess though that would only apply if you put them in water.