Peanut butter addictions

Options
Hey guys, i've been going over my diet and i seem to eat a lot of peanut butter, i mean a lot, like 3 to 5 spoonfuls a day, i work them into my diet so i don't go over my calorie goal but i was wondering if anyone had any pros or cons on the subject, like should i even be eating it, what does it do for your body, can i have it everyday, or should it be treated as a treat? I'm like addicted to it and i really want to limit it down a little to maybe only one a day depending on how good it is for you but i'm having a lot of trouble with that because i crave it constantly and i eat out of the jar with a spoon. I know it's high a calories and i think the fat in it is a good fat burning fat or so i heard. Anyone addicted to it like more or know why it's so addicting? And know how to break the habit or anything on the subject. Thanks :)

Replies

• gamecock
    gamecock Posts: 36
    Options
    BUMP~~I am interested to see what everyone says. I have the same "problem" :blushing: you do..............I can not stay away from peanut butter.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    If loving PB is bad, I dont want to be good. I usually have 2 tbls of it a day. either with celery or an apple or plain old dipped into the jar with a spoon.
  • ssmom
    ssmom Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter but I try to eat it as a treat otherwise I would go overboard! I treated myself this weekend to PB on graham crackers and today had a Reeses dark chocolate pb cup-MMMMM!!! That's probably the most PB I've eaten in a month. Once I get a taste I just want more! So needless to say I am hiding the peanut butter from myself!
  • Adam13523
    Adam13523 Posts: 25
    Options
    There should be a support group.
    My problem is I HAVE to drink a glass of milk with my PB sandwich.
  • lildebbie
    lildebbie Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    I eat 2 tblspoons every day in the morning..and then sometimes if i need more cals cause i had a huge exercise days i may have a couple more.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    It is a healthy type of fat but if you get a generic type then they are filled with preservatives and other nasties. Natural peanut butter is the best IMO.

Having said that, even though it is a good type of fat if you are going over your calorie goal then you will be putting on weight so moderation is the key. It is TOUGH though. I am addicted to nuts in general I think. I just have to walk past them at the shops as I know if I buy a little packet, I will probably demolish them :P (was very proud of myself walking past half price macadamias the other day :))I now get healthy fats from coconut oil. This tastes great, can be used for cooking, added to coffee etc but isn't crazy addictive like peanute butter flavour :)
  • wvfinn
    wvfinn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I must go through at least a jar a week. "Smucker's Natural".
  • Sprinkles77
    Options
    All in moderation it's no big deal. I used to eat it on my whole wheat bagel each morning and I was slimmer back then even though I ate it 4 days a week. Right now though you are totally killing me because my youngest son has a Peanut allergy and they had to be banned from my home completely a few years ago.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    If you are going to eat it, eat the natural type. Better yet, buy PB2 which is the powdered PB you mix with water and is has the same calories in 4 tbsp as regular does in 2. There is a store locator on their website. I still haven’t gone out to buy it yet but I found a store in the Toronto area which has it. B/c its powder it’s also great to add to smoothies or Asian pasta recipes.
  • kellykat
    kellykat Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    You are not alone. My name is Kelly and I have a peanut butter addiction. It's been 2 hours since my last spoonful...
  • kathlynhawley
    Options
    I have a morning snack of a pretzel (no salt of course), a prune, a smacking of peanut butter then another pretzel. Eat two of three of these strange sandwiches (or use raisins if you don't like prunes) and you'll have so much fiber and be so full you'll skip the chocolate bar! It's a healthy snack, and I love it. I, too, am addicted to peanut butter.
  • gamecock
    gamecock Posts: 36
    Options
    If you are going to eat it, eat the natural type. Better yet, buy PB2 which is the powdered PB you mix with water and is has the same calories in 4 tbsp as regular does in 2. There is a store locator on their website. I still haven’t gone out to buy it yet but I found a store in the Toronto area which has it. B/c its powder it’s also great to add to smoothies or Asian pasta recipes.

I checked out the website for this.......it looks really interesting.........has any one tried this?
  • Glitter_pumpkin
    Options
    I usually eat only the organic kind with the oil on top and i usually pour the oil out before i mix it together, is that better for you? It can't be that bad because i looked at the ingredients and all it had in it was peanuts and salt.
  • corrine_manley
    corrine_manley Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I always think back to when I was pregnant. The Dr. told me if you're craving something, then your body is telling you it needs something that's in it. I don't know how well that stands outside of pregnancy but it makes sense. I say if you're staying under your calorie goal then don't worry so much about it. You could have worse cravings or addictions. :smile:
  • Glitter_pumpkin
    Options
    All in moderation it's no big deal. I used to eat it on my whole wheat bagel each morning and I was slimmer back then even though I ate it 4 days a week. Right now though you are totally killing me because my youngest son has a Peanut allergy and they had to be banned from my home completely a few years ago.

I tried sunflower seed butter a couple weeks ago and it tasted a lot like peanut butter, a little different but i still loved the taste and that might be worth looking into, just make sure it's from a place that didn't process peanuts as well.
  • Glitter_pumpkin
    Options
    You are not alone. My name is Kelly and I have a peanut butter addiction. It's been 2 hours since my last spoonful...

Thanks, it's good to know i'm not alone and it's only been 5 minutes since my last spoonful :)
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options

I checked out the website for this.......it looks really interesting.........has any one tried this?

I LOVE PB2. The chocolate PB2 is really good, too. Plus, at 45 calories/serving, and 6 grams of fat, it's win-win!! I used to have to ban peanut butter from my house. It's not as 'rich' as regular peanut butter, but if you're a PB junkie, this will certainly help.
  • Glitter_pumpkin
    Options

PB2 sounds amazing especially PB2 with added chocolate, i bet it tastes like are reese cup :) I really want to try it, thanks for sharing this, i never heard about it before.
  • Bee28
    Bee28 Posts: 99
    Options
    I too am addicted to peanut butter. I have been waking up in the middle of the night and eating spoonfuls :blushing: I recently switched to natural so I don't feel sooo bad lol On days I don't work it into my calories I find myself dipping in the jar late at night so i feel like either I have to totally cut it out or eat just a little bit everyday.
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I love Peanut Butter!! So much, that I realized I had to cut the horrible, hydrogenated, fake stuff out of my diet and switch to Organic PB. Now I feel great about eating it, AND I don't crave it as much. Tastes great with apples!