Scared of inevitable failure.

Options
Hi All,

So I've been doing really well lately, I just hit my first 10kgs lost, but I still have a really long way to go. I can't help but feel that I'm just waiting to fail. I have this nagging in the back of mind telling me that of course I'm not going to succeed and I'm only one binge away from throwing it all away again.
My common sense tells me that if I make good choices I will eventually lose the weight but I just feel that I'm going to sabotage myself again.

I'm positive I'm not the only one who has had to deal with these thoughts and feelings, any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Emma

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

So I've been doing really well lately, I just hit my first 10kgs lost, but I still have a really long way to go. I can't help but feel that I'm just waiting to fail. I have this nagging in the back of mind telling me that of course I'm not going to succeed and I'm only one binge away from throwing it all away again.
    My common sense tells me that if I make good choices I will eventually lose the weight but I just feel that I'm going to sabotage myself again.

I'm positive I'm not the only one who has had to deal with these thoughts and feelings, any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Emma
    Expectation of failure will lead to it. Same with success.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Yep!!! I share the same affliction!! Self sabatoge has been my mortal nemesis for my entire life.I even tell myself I am to old to start now, I should have done it 10 years ago. But in 10 years I will have wished I had done it now. I am going to start thinking more positive and if I screw up one day, oh well!! My thin friends dont always eat healthy, they just do more often than not. You can do it!!! You are in good company :)
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    When the whole big picture and what it means are overwhelming, focus on the process. This meal, this workout, this performance goal, this day.

As true for weight loss as anything else.

We are all capable of change.
  • emmajoy_21
    emmajoy_21 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thankyou everybody, I guess I really just need to focus on the now and try not to get caught up in what is still to come. I think because I've given up so many times before I'm finding it really hard to believe that I can actually succeed if I change my thinking. For now I'm going to focus on being really aware of my thoughts.
  • PaliDNAnge
    PaliDNAnge Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I sometimes feel like I'm going to fail, or I feel overwhelmed that I won't get to my goal because it seems so far away. Then I try to think about what I've done so far, how much I've accomplished (weight loss, better fitness, healthier lifestyle, people's reactions when they see me), and how hard I've worked. I tell myself I can do this. I even have an Excel spreadsheet with my starting weight and several columns with projected weight loss depending on how much I lose a week. It lets me know that it is possible to reach my goal, and seeing those numbers and graphs gets me motivated to try even harder so that i can reach my goal faster. I admit I'm not a very patient person, but I know it's a long process, and I want to do it right so I don't have to go through it again. I also like to peruse the Success stories and see the before and after photos. If they can do it, why can't I? As the saying goes, "If there's a will, there's a way." So as long as you want to do it, you will find a way to finish. =)
  • RacheUk82
    RacheUk82 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Ok, I am going to be brutally honest because I am there.....and I am kinda writing this for me too.

What is 'failure'? Not going to the gym this week? Having an unhealthy lifestyle? Failure is different things to different people.

You have a perfectly working body. It may not be the shape/size you would like it to be, but it works, it moves, it supports you.
    Shouldn't you kinda repay the favour by trying to 'fuel' it effectively and treat it well? (God, I need to take my own advice!)

Forget the long term future, its overwhelming. you could die tomorrow. Just do what you can each day..... a walk, a healthier meal all adds up. Before you know it it will be months down the line. Do this for YOU. Small goals to work towards, lose 7lb?

Im with you, I feel it too. WE ARE WORTH THIS.