salsa recipes

Options
klt1030
klt1030 Posts: 82 Member
Hello all! Just want to pick your brain for old fashioned salsa recipes. I can, and some weeks do, eat salsa somehow every day. I always have all of the veggies in the house and would love to make my own. So please pass along your favorites! I have a great fruit salsa recipe to share too, if you would like...

:flowerforyou:
Kelly

Replies

• mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    we make "fresh salsa" we call it pico de gallo.

2 large tomatoes diced (keep the juices)
    1 medium onion diced
    1 jalepeno diced (seeds removed if you want less heat)
    1 lime juiced
    1 bunch cilantro minced
    1 pinch kosher salt

YUM!

Mango Habenero Salsa

1 mango peeled and diced
    1 - 1/2 red onion diced
    1 very tiny habenero or 1/2 habenero diced (WEAR GLOVES)
    1 bunch cilantro minced
    1 lime juiced
    1 pinch kosher salt

the amounts are subjective, but it's a start! The mango habenero is my husbands favorite, we like it in chicken fajitas/tacos and still really good just with chips! I add the pico to other dishes I make too that aren't even latin! Enjoy, both super healthy and delicious you wont wanna stop eating!
  • hawaiibound
    hawaiibound Posts: 158
    Options
    i have a basic recipe that everyone around me LOVES!
    8 roman tomatoes
    4-5 jalapenos
    2 limes
    1/2 bunch cilantro
    1/4 onion
    garlic to taste
    salt to taste
    its really simple to make. just throw everything in a food processor and blend to your desired consistency. i've made pineapple salsa as well just replacing the tomatoes with pineapple! same with mango and kiwi....i love salsa as well!
  • surlydave
    surlydave Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cwhiteley
    cwhiteley Posts: 9
    Options
    We have made this a bunch of times. Sometimes I substitute it for all fresh tomatoes expecially in the summer.

My Favorite Salsa
    Ingredients:
    2 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and very coarsely chopped
    4 cloves garlic, halved
    2 large vine-ripened tomatoes
    1 (28 0z.) can diced tomatoes (drained or not, depending on how much liquid you want in your salsa)
    2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
    1 tbsp. cumin
    1/2 sweet yellow onion, coarsely chopped
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. ground cayenne pepper
    1/4 cup fresh cilantro
    juice of one lime
    Directions:
    In the bowl of a food processor, combine the jalapenos and garlic. Process until finely chopped. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add all other ingredients to the food processor. Pulse in very brief pulses until the vegetables have reached the size you desire (it does not take many pulses so don’t overdo it). Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving to allow the flavors to blend.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    1 large can of crushed tomatoes
    1 cup green pepper
    1 cup onion
    1 or 2 jap peppers
    some cilantro to taste
    1 clove of garlic

fry chopped peppers and onion in skillet with a bit of oil and garlic then add to crushed tomatoes in a large pot. Heat until warm.
  • beth1rn
    beth1rn Posts: 3
    Options
    they all sound great to me - thanks for the recipes!!!!!!!!1
  • tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    bump
  • klt1030
    klt1030 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I agree, they all sound great! Thanks and I think I will try each of them :)
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    we do the basic version, and when we are sick of it..........we add something new like green pepper or red pepper.......balsamic vinegar instead of lime, chopped avacado......

We throw it on chicken, fish, salad greens, spinach and it is yummy mixed in eggs and steamed brocc
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    thanks for the ideas all:flowerforyou:
  • mommamills
    mommamills Posts: 437
    Options
    bump
  • ab_shutterbug
    ab_shutterbug Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    This is more or less the way we make it, too It's really excellent and hardly any calories! If you need to make it a little richer/less watery, sometimes we add hot sauce (Tampico or similar).