Stupid Reason for a goal weight but I did it

Options
Copied from my facebook:

So I set a weird goal a while back - to hit 150 lbs before I turned 36. Why is this weird? Because of the motivation for it. I already had a regular goal of 160lbs just to be healthy and look good. But the thing is, I go to a gym. And at that gym are the elliptical machines. And on those machines you have an option to enter your age and weight so it can presumably give you a more accurate calorie burn number when you're done exercising.

The default age on these machines is 36 so for the age field I can just hit <enter>. The default weight is 150. So I decided that my goal would be to hit the defaults at least once. Now obviously this had a hard deadline because once I turned 36, well, it was over.

So a little over a month ago I kicked my dieting up a notch and got more strict with myself. I got it down to 158, then 155, and finally yesterday (Saturday) I hit 153.3. Now, the machines use whole numbers so I round off which means my strict goal was actually 150.4.

Today I did everything wrong to hit my goal. I accelerated the weight loss by going after the easiest target: water. I went to my gym 3 times today and each time spent at least an hour on the elliptical machine. I wore 2 long-sleeve shirts plus a sweatshirt with the hoodie over my head. I wore long sweat pants. I didn't drink water throughout my workout - I sipped a little in between 15-minute rounds to moisten my mouth and then spit it back out.

My first trip to the gym was at around 4PM today. I had just gotten back from taking the kids to the circus where I didn't eat any candy, popcorn, etc... nor did I even drink any diet soda. For lunch on the way we hit the McD's drive through where I got a 360 calorie chicken wrap and that's it. After the gym I went to my mom's for a Passover sedar where I had a half-ounce of wine, a matza ball, a slice of angelfood cake, and a halfscoop of ice cream. Then I went back to the gym for round 2.

At this point I was down to 151.6 - only 1.2 lbs from my goal. 4 elliptical sessions and 1 treadmill session later I was down to 150.6 lbs but had to go drive Devin home from work.

After that I went back to the gym for round 3 - but my key fob wouldn't work. so I drove to the one near my office in Needham - I was f'ing determined! This time in addition to all the shirts and sweatshirt I also put on my winter long underwear underneath the sweatpants. I committed to 15 minutes on the elliptical and 15 on the treadmill and then I'd weigh in (yes, I brought my scale to the gym). If I didn't reach my goal by then I'd, well, I don't really know what I would have done.

Fortunately I hit 150.2 so I won. I got back on the elliptical, hit the button to enter my age and weight and hit <enter> twice to accept the defaults. I finished out that final 15 minutes on the elliptical and with 5 minutes to go my sister Caroline called to wish me a happy birthday. It doesn't get much more awesome than that.

Then I bought crappy taquitos from 7-11, drove home eating cookies, and had some ice cream while typing this up. I earned it.

Replies

• GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday.
  • izzylew
    izzylew Posts: 30
    Options
    hahaha that is awesome, sounds kind of dangerous but hey you did it! congratulations!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Im-not-mad.gif
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Im-not-mad.gif

Best use of Anchorman gif. Ever.

Congratulations on your success! 2012-12-24-great.jpg
  • GI_John_RN
    GI_John_RN Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    That may seem to be an arbitrary goal, but if it works and you are happy, so be it. Two years ago, I set my goal at 205 lbs, simply because that was the limit for a UFC light heavyweight. It worked. I surpassed it actually and got down to 200. I'm not a fighter and there was no other reason for me to weigh that specific amount, but I felt great when I got to it and I was in pretty good shape.
  • Malaika946
    Malaika946 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Well done!
  • McButtski
    McButtski Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Ha.. crazy.. but credit where credit's due - if you can do that, you can do anything, well done!:wink:
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Hahaha...stupidest reason ever. So stupid it's brilliant!
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    cray cray... hopefully u never do something like that again... you're not a boxer
  • theycallyoumister
    theycallyoumister Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do! :smile:
  • Asavitzk
    Asavitzk Posts: 66
    Options
    Thanks guys - and trust me, I don't plan on doing something like that again - it was a miserable experience.

That said, it really does help me prove to myself that I can do anything I set my mind to even if it means dragging my body into a challenge kicking and screaming.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!