Heart Rate Monitor question

Options
Hello, I don't usually post on this board I post on my group's board but I figured that my question was better suited to a larger fitness audience hoping someone who reads this knows a good amount about heart rate/calories burned.
I just bought a heart rate monitor and used it this morning. I use the Precor Elliptical at the gym for 65 minutes, my heart rate stayed between 118 and 125 during the 65 minutes. I bought a Polar Heart Rate Monitor so it syncs up with the machines. The Machine listed my calories burned as 1040 but the heart rate monitor says 407. Is the machine that far off? Or do I need to change the setting on my heart rate monitor? I did track per the heart rate monitor and I don't usually eat many of my calories burned back as I am not hungry for them.
Thank you for your help in advance.

Replies

• loui1234
    loui1234 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    407 seems about right to me, i have the Polar HRM and tend to log what it says, i find that the machines at my gym tend to be overly generous with calories burned! Make sure that you've set your weight and height correctly on your HRM.

And good work out by the way! :)
  • Sadore
    Sadore Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    That sounds about right to me. I wear a Polar too, and I feel it's pretty accurate. To get a higher burn, you need a higher heart rate.
  • WifeofPJ
    WifeofPJ Posts: 312
    Options
    Thanks! I knew the machines were over generous so I was recording my workout in the 600's before so I was surprised to see that the heart rate monitor was 200 lower than that. But like I said I don't eat back many of my calories burned because I'm on Metformin for PCOS so my appetite is not what it use to be but it was surprised to My weight and age is set on my heart rate monitor.

Thanks for the answers to my question.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Suggestion: Up the resistance on the elliptical and get your heart rate up for a better workout. Go harder for a shorter time to improve your cardio fitness. Those HR numbers are a stroll not a workout, hence the low burn.
  • ErinRaeHW
    Options
    I agree with the other replys! The machine are overly generous with calories even if its synced with your HRM.
    A Heart rate of 118-125 is most likely in your zone 1, to get a higher calorie burn you'll wanna increase the intensity.
    I find at my highest intensity or zone 3, I can burn approx 100 cal per 10 minutes.

Are you going to do your cardio point test? If so, that'll really help determine your zones! I haven't done it at Lifetime because its too spendy, but I know approx where my zones are and it's really helpful!

Anyways, you are doing great! You're seeing awesome results so keep it up!!
    Proud of you :)
  • WifeofPJ
    WifeofPJ Posts: 312
    Options
    I agree with the other replys! The machine are overly generous with calories even if its synced with your HRM.
    A Heart rate of 118-125 is most likely in your zone 1, to get a higher calorie burn you'll wanna increase the intensity.
    I find at my highest intensity or zone 3, I can burn approx 100 cal per 10 minutes.

Are you going to do your cardio point test? If so, that'll really help determine your zones! I haven't done it at Lifetime because its too spendy, but I know approx where my zones are and it's really helpful!

Anyways, you are doing great! You're seeing awesome results so keep it up!!
    Proud of you :)

Today was one of my low impact days so I'm not worried about the amount of calories I was just so shocked how much different, I knew the Machines were off and I was never recording the 1000 I was always recording between 600 and 700 depending on how much I sweet. I wasn't expecting it to be that off! But that's ok Tomorrow is my Couch to 5 K day so I'm excited to see how high my heart rate actually gets, I always put my hands on the bars after each run but that's while I'm cooling down!