too much protein?

fchopin42
fchopin42 Posts: 51
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
I've only been at this for 4 days... every day I've done great with everything except protein... I'm obviously eating too much. I'm vegetarian (I do eat fish and dairy). Is too much protein bad?

Just curious really...

Thank you!

Lisa

Replies

• I was wondering the same thing. Seems 2 egg whites alone can send me to the edge.
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    IMO- You're doing fine.
    I am set to eat 100 g of protien on days that I work out... I've found MFP sets the protien awefully low.

Hope that's helpful!
    :)
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    How much are you getting?

This site tell you only 45 or so, but my doctor told me that if I am woking out I should be getting 75 to 100g of lean protein a day.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Nope! Your percentage should be at least 30% protein. I've read for weight loss, it's safe up to 40%.
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    I eat anywhere from 120 - 160 a day.
  • rad007
    rad007 Posts: 26
    I do 200-235 grams of protein a day
  • Sandeee
    Sandeee Posts: 53 Member
    I have read that you should not exceed .36 g X each pound you weigh to maintain in a healthy range.
  • Jenks
    Jenks Posts: 349
    Found this on the Harvard School of Public Health website
    http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/questions/protein-questions/index.html#howmuch

How much protein do I need each day?

There is no one-size-fits-all answer to that question, and research on the topic is still emerging. The Institute of Medicine recommends that adults get a minimum of 0.8 grams of protein for every kilogram of body weight per day—that's about 64 grams for a 160 pound adult. In the U.S., adults get an average of 15 percent of their calories from protein; for a person who requires a 2,000-calorie-per-day-diet, that's about 75 grams of protein. In healthy people, increasing protein intake to 20 to 25 percent of calories can reduce the risk of heart disease, if the extra protein replaces refined carbohydrates, such as white bread, white rice, or sugary drinks. Higher protein diets can also be beneficial for weight loss, in conjunction with a reduced calorie diet, although long-term evidence of their effectiveness is wanting.

For people in good health, consuming 20 to 25 percent of calories from protein won't harm the kidneys. For people with diabetes or early-stage kidney disease, however, the American Diabetes Association recommends limiting protein intake to 0.8 to 1.0 gram of protein per kilogram of body weight (roughly 10 percent of energy intake), since this may help improve kidney function; in later stage kidney disease, sticking to the 0.8 grams per kilogram minimum is advisable. Consult a doctor or a registered dietitian for individualized protein recommendations.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    I have read that you should not exceed .36 g X each pound you weigh to maintain in a healthy range.

depends if you are active or not. I am for 1g/lb so 160g per day for me.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    sorry, double post
  • fchopin42
    fchopin42 Posts: 51
    today I had 70... MFP says 52... I exercise 4-5 days a week...

Thank you for all the replies!!!

:-)

Lisa
  • de1amo
    de1amo Posts: 266 Member
    im sure i should eat 60g of protein as the harvard report--im 154lbs now -but because i was dieting meant i knew i had to reduce my intakes and it set me 46g--i think the settings on the site are right because i have lost all my excess at a steady weight with no muscle waste--now i have to ramp up my protein to build up sinewy muscle that has gone over the years of inactivity--cant lose without reduction of intake all round!
  • leix
    leix Posts: 176
    i rarely stay in my limit. Now ive taken up high protein diet.
    i work out 6 days a week.
  • de1amo
    de1amo Posts: 266 Member
    i will only up my protein if i am doing the necessary work to build muscles--otherwise i will stay on the daily recommended allowance here as the site has seen me right so far--my gym technition and dietition say i must up to 100mg but only iif i am serious about building muscle and want to work hard
This discussion has been closed.