Am I eating too less

Options
I was talking to someone and they think I'm eating too less, I weigh 218 lbs right now and am 6ft tall 21 year old male eating 1790 cals daily, is that too less?

Replies

• krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I was talking to someone and they think I'm eating too less, I weigh 218 lbs right now and am 6ft tall 21 year old male eating 1790 cals daily, is that too less?

I think your fine at that if you can manage - that is assuming you want to lose weight?! :laugh:

I am 6ft and started eating 1700 kcal at 100kg then dropped my calories down to 1600kcal soon after to make the weight loss a tad faster!

Your BMR should be between 2000-2400 kcal so it should be fine! :drinker:
  • 22ssingh
    22ssingh Posts: 35
    Options
    Yeah I manage 1790 ok tbh, I just don't want to be eating less than I should be

Ps my bmr is 2600
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options

I think your fine at that if you can manage - that is assuming you want to lose weight?! :laugh:

I am 6ft and started eating 1700 kcal at 100kg then dropped my calories down to 1600kcal soon after to make the weight loss a tad faster!

It's my understanding that you shouldn't eat below your BMR.
  • markdavy1982
    markdavy1982 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Depends on your bf% bmr and your daily activity but sounds like you should be eating more as im 176 lb 5'11" and eating 1900 cals and still losing about 1lb a week even eating my exercise calories back.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    It sounds like too little to me for your age/size....have you tried eating a bit more to see if you continue to lose weight on more calories? That's what I'd do.
  • 22ssingh
    Options
    Depends on your bf% bmr and your daily activity but sounds like you should be eating more as im 176 lb 5'11" and eating 1900 cals and still losing about 1lb a week even eating my exercise calories back.

What did you use to work out how much you should be eating?
  • 22ssingh
    Options
    It sounds like too little to me for your age/size....have you tried eating a bit more to see if you continue to lose weight on more calories? That's what I'd do.

I've not tried eating more, but right now it seems like my weight loss has stopped :-(
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options

BMR is just a value at which your body burns through during a 24 hour period assuming you lay in bed/immobile for the whole day, when you want to lose weight/fat you need to eat below your BMR, some people eat below it and get it sorted this way or just to your BMR and workout but not eat back the exercise calories...
  • StephanosICB
    StephanosICB Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think you should up your caloric intake. It does depend on your goals of course. Even if you wanna lose weight i still think that 1700 cals is low. Do you work out? If yes, how often? Going ultra low on cals will get your body into starvation mode and then you won't be able to lose weight and your metabolism will go bye bye :)
  • 22ssingh
    Options
    I think you should up your caloric intake. It does depend on your goals of course. Even if you wanna lose weight i still think that 1700 cals is low. Do you work out? If yes, how often? Going ultra low on cals will get your body into starvation mode and then you won't be able to lose weight and your metabolism will go bye bye :)

It's just when I put my details in MFP and set it as I wana lose 1.5 lbs a week it tells me to eat 1790. I do weight training 4 days a week and hour cardio 2 times a week
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

BMR is just a value at which your body burns through during a 24 hour period assuming you lay in bed/immobile for the whole day, when you want to lose weight/fat you need to eat below your BMR, some people eat below it and get it sorted this way or just to your BMR and workout but not eat back the exercise calories...

Actually you should eat above your BMR and below your TDEE
  • Jim_1960
    Jim_1960 Posts: 399
    Options
    Confirm you figures on www.fat2fitradio.com.

Use military calc to start then move to cals per day. Worked for me as I was way too low!!

Good luck.
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Yeah I manage 1790 ok tbh, I just don't want to be eating less than I should be

Ps my bmr is 2600

then 1700 is way too less.
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options

Actually you should eat above your BMR and below your TDEE

Yes & if you are eating at just slightly above your BMR, you need to eat back your exercise calories, if you eat at TDEE, you don't eat back you exercise calories.
  • 22ssingh
    Options
    Confirm you figures on www.fat2fitradio.com.

Use military calc to start then move to cals per day. Worked for me as I was way too low!!

Good luck.

Thanks, I used the military calc and then worked out my bmr by putting in my body fat percentage, and when I times that number by 1.2 (if I'm sedentary) I get a number of 2630, so how much should I be eating? I've been eating 1790, and lost a little bit of weight, but now it seems like the weight loss has stopped
  • lightdiva1
    lightdiva1 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    If you have stalled in weight loss for about a week or two I would suggest upping your calories. If you are working out (cardio) that number seems a bit low.

My husband weighs 188. He works our 4 times a week, he eats roughly 2100 calories a day. Sometimes more sometimes less.

The more weight you carry the more calories the body burns to simply function. If your seeing weight loss or inches lost, perhaps you are not eating enough.

I (am female and short, 5'4, so my numbers are very different than yours but here's my example.) I started out at 305 pounds. MFP put me on a 1580 calorie goal a day. I have my settings set to sedentary. That worked great. I lost 16 pounds in 1 months. Than my calorie goal went down to 1480. I lost an additional 20 pounds in 2 months. Great! Than the calorie goal went down to 1380, and I gained 2 pounds, than stalled out for a week.... I upped my calories back to 1480 and poof a couple days later I lost the 2 gained pounds plus 2 more.

I feel as though i am sedentary, but I don't log dancing with my kids, or going for walks to the park, or playing tag with the kids. So my life is not really sedentary. But I do sit a lot, for most of my day. However, because I am 267.8 (that number is nice to see) I burn a lot of calories just by sitting. Remember every body is different. Some have more BF than others and weigh the same and are the same height, others have more lean muscle.

My advice is to listen to your body. Eat more for a week and see how you feel.
  • 22ssingh
    Options
    If you have stalled in weight loss for about a week or two I would suggest upping your calories. If you are working out (cardio) that number seems a bit low.

My husband weighs 188. He works our 4 times a week, he eats roughly 2100 calories a day. Sometimes more sometimes less.

The more weight you carry the more calories the body burns to simply function. If your seeing weight loss or inches lost, perhaps you are not eating enough.

I (am female and short, 5'4, so my numbers are very different than yours but here's my example.) I started out at 305 pounds. MFP put me on a 1580 calorie goal a day. I have my settings set to sedentary. That worked great. I lost 16 pounds in 1 months. Than my calorie goal went down to 1480. I lost an additional 20 pounds in 2 months. Great! Than the calorie goal went down to 1380, and I gained 2 pounds, than stalled out for a week.... I upped my calories back to 1480 and poof a couple days later I lost the 2 gained pounds plus 2 more.

I feel as though i am sedentary, but I don't log dancing with my kids, or going for walks to the park, or playing tag with the kids. So my life is not really sedentary. But I do sit a lot, for most of my day. However, because I am 267.8 (that number is nice to see) I burn a lot of calories just by sitting. Remember every body is different. Some have more BF than others and weigh the same and are the same height, others have more lean muscle.

My advice is to listen to your body. Eat more for a week and see how you feel.

Thanks for the input, using fat2fit radio, it tells me I should be eating 2314 if I'm sedentary, 2651 if I'm lightly active and so on, I entered my weight which is 218 lbs, my height which is 72 inches, age which is 21, goal weight which is 175 lbs and body fat which is 32.5%, so I'm really confused on how much I should be eating now
  • lightdiva1
    lightdiva1 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try eating the recommended 2314 and see how you feel. Take your measurements, take a picture, and weigh yourself once a week. If after a couple weeks your not losing weight, or don't feel great, lower the calories.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I am under 5' weigh about 105 lbs, a girl, and I eat around 1600 calories for 1/2 lb per week weight loss.

So yes, you are probably eating way too few calories. Use Scooby's calculator as a starting point (but it grades a little high):

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • 22ssingh
    Options
    I am under 5' weigh about 105 lbs, a girl, and I eat around 1600 calories for 1/2 lb per week weight loss.

So yes, you are probably eating way too few calories. Use Scooby's calculator as a starting point (but it grades a little high):

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Thanks, I used that and even that is telling me to eat 2200 cals a days to lose 1.1 lbs per week! Man I've been eating 1790 for a long time which seems way too low now. What do you guys think if I eat 2000 for a while and see how it goes? Or is that still too low?