new clothes!!

Options
ninavivi
ninavivi Posts: 48 Member
Hello everyone. I have lost a total of about 60 pounds. I have 10 more until i am at my goal weight. My issue i am having now is, i haven't gone shopping for pretty clothes in the last at least 3-4 years. I've been doing quick shopping at target or costco. I am now to a size 6 and would like to get pretty clothes but i have no idea what the style is now a days, and what places are good to shop. all of my pants i have fit but are stretched so they don't like right on me. im looking for jeans, dresses, shirts. any ideas?

Replies

• mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I actually bought a couple pair of jeans at Target in my new size (4), and another pair at Old Navy. I had bought two pair of jeans at Kohls, but I actually don't like either pair as well as the cheaper ones I got at Target and Old Navy. This is mostly because, being 5'5" in a size 4, if I buy regular length, they aren't nearly as long as I like my jeans to be. I had better luck finding the longer lengths there. I had to buy a lot of new work clothes as well, which I wound up getting mostly at Kohls & Target. Once I get my cards paid off, I may go splurge on some jeans at Hollister or Lucky, but that's still a little way down the road.
  • eAddict
    eAddict Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    First, congrats on your loss!
    What the wife and I did was hit kohls. I went from a 44 waist to 38 and needed new pants. I even dropped from an XL shirt to L! Kohls has current fashions at a decent price PLUS we always go with our 30% off coupon and/or Kohls' cash. I didn't replace EVERYTHING as I plan on dropping a few more myself.

Wherever you do go have fun!
  • ltowne
    ltowne Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    You look to be about my daughter's age and she shops ALL of the time! Her favorite places are LOFT, GAP and BANANA REPUBLIC. They can be a little pricey, but if you look for the sales, you can get some pretty good deals. NEW YORK and CO. has good jeans and some cute summer tops right now. Good luck, have fun and congrats on your loss. You look amazing!
  • MrsTorresisBACK
    MrsTorresisBACK Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Oh gal that is an easy one! Ann Taylor loft is beautiful and you can get great clearance deals at a size 6!! TRUST ME...Size 6 has it's benefits! :) Banana Republic and even New York and Co.(shocked they actually had cute stuff this season) has really cute pieces.

Best of luck and HAVE FUN!!! this is the part that we ALL look forward to!
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success! While I KNOW you can't wait to replace your wardrobe, I recommend hanging in there with the low cost temporary clothes for just a little longer. I jumped the gun and spent hundreds of dollars at Ann Taylor & The Loft just 4 pounds shy of my goal weight, then the weight kept coming off, and I actually lost 10 more which meant that my whole new wardrobe is one size too large. I wear them anyway, and I'm slowly adding pieces in my new size, but if I had it to do over, I would have waited until my weight stabilized.

Once you do go out for the big shopping trip, it really depends on your age and final size, but I love Ann Taylor, The Loft, J. Crew, Banana Republic --- they have both classic pieces that never go out of style along with "what's in" for the season...like floral/bright jeans and dresses. For low cost trendy items, I also like Dress Barn (when I can find my size) and Old Navy. Check out their "style rooms" on-line for the latest.

I also found it worth it to have some of my favorites from my existing wardrobe altered to fit. I had quite a few dresses, skirts and jackets that turned out really well; however, I found that pants did not work when altered more than a size or two. But, this may not work for you as you've lost about twice as much as I did, so you may need to just start over.

Most of all ENJOY the new you!
  • jawillifird
    Options
    Congrats sweetie! I'd definately look into asos online, and some nordstroms even have topshop stores I side, which are always great! Keep up the great work and you'll be a size 4 in no time :)
  • leeanneo07
    leeanneo07 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yes, congrats on your loss!! Way to go!!
    This happened to me as well - dropped 30 lbs, from a size 6-8 and now down to 0-2. I was looking quite frumpy, pants looked ridiculous and were falling off. I started wearing a belt with all my shirts and wearing leggings instead of pants. I bought a few cheap clothes to get me through the transition. Now that I'm at my goal weight, I just went on a big shopping trip. Start saving now :)
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    We have this chic consignment store near me called Platos Closet. I'm not sure where you are located, but most likely you don't have one of those near you, but maybe something similar? Do you have a Ross? I've had A LOT of luck with Ross stores. I've found tons of cute, inexpensive shirts at Rue 21, Forever 21 and Joyce Leslie. I think places like Walmart and Target are good for jeans. Good luck and congrats on the weight loss!
  • oceanemma0703
    Options
    Hit TJ Maxx! It's my favourite place to shop for new work clothes, event clothes, workout clothes you name it! They change their inventory every month so it's always a new adventure, and the clothes are very classy ;p. Another thing you can do to get inspiration for your outfits is look at pinterest or tumblr for fashion. I know a couple good blogs for fashion;

http://www.tumblr.com/blog/wishbook1227
    http://pinterest.com/vivistrom/my-fictional-closet/
    http://pinterest.com/cyarb0r0ugh/in-my-fictional-closet/

Just searching boards on pintrest named "fictional closet" (all the clothes we want) Will give you great ideas and you can find a few that appeal to your tastes!

Congratulations so far on your amazing journey and progress!!! Wish you the best! And enjoy shopping!!!!! =D
  • ninavivi
    ninavivi Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone. I will be 34 in June. I'm ready to start dressing pretty, like i'm proud of myself. No more hidding in sweat shirts, or clothes that are bigger to hide what i look like. lol, i AM proud of where i am at. I don't want to do too much shopping, like most of you said, it will just end up being a waste once i do hit my goall (or go past it) I just want a few clothes for now. i'll check out the stores you mentioned. thank you all again :-)
  • brendaloura
    brendaloura Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    hello just read ur blog, that is awesome loosing 60 lbs, ive lost about 14lbs since nov. i buy my clothes at reitmans, i so love that store and they have many good styles and good prices. my daughter is getting married in june and i want to look good, im on 1200 calories a day.
  • 33clb
    33clb Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am not sure where you live but I am 34 and love to shop now! My new favorite store for my casual clothes is Buckle. I also shop at Old Navy, Ross, Tj Maxx, and Marshall's sometimes. The hardest part for me was realizing that I could shop at regular stores again.
  • kmc979
    kmc979 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    congrats and happy shopping! I am about half way to my goal and I had to purchase new tops for my vacation so I didn't look to ridiculous and I bought one pair of jeans. I bought my new tops at a variety of stores and either on sale or just their regular price. everything I bought was $10 or less. I didn't want to buy too much because I am not done losing weight. Shockingly I bought several tops at Sports Authority (north face and columbia brand) and at this new store at the mall called Joe Fresh where the clothes were inexpensive, casual, and fashionable. I used to have a bunch of clothes in a variety of sizes but a few years ago got rid of them because it was depressing to look at them knowing they didn't fit. I did, however, keep some favorites, just in case. They were mostly shorts. I can now button them up but are just a bit tight. So in maybe 10 pounds I will have a ton of shorts, a lot still with tags on them, to wear this summer!
  • JosieJo2000
    JosieJo2000 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    The things that will make you feel great about yourself are clothes that fit and actually show a bit of your figure. If you think you're going to lose more weight start with some great fitting, well-priced jeans and a few tailored / fitted shirts. I have a few cute skirts that have...believe it or not...elastic waists and these have been terrific too. They have flat bands and don't look "frumpy".

When you get to your goal weight treat yourself to a few fabulous dresses and a kick-butt tailored suit :)

Congratulations!!!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I like Loft and Ann Taylor best. J Crew is OK, and Banana Republic is good. For jeans though, I go to The Buckle. I get outwear at Macy's (some other stuff too, but mostly my coats).
  • ayanna32
    ayanna32 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Agreed, I love Target jeans, they fit great and have a good amount of spandex. Target has good finds and even Macys when they have a sale.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!