Dukan Diet

Options
Has anyone tried the Dukan Diet? I'm trying it right now It's been 4 days and I've lost 5 pounds (I'm assuming mostly water weight). But I read the book, I heard a lot of great things, and I really admire Kate Middleton and I hear that this is the diet she used before her wedding.

It's a low carb/high protein diet. I like that it explains proteins are digested differently and carbs are generally what is stored so by eating carbs only from veggies your body gets the energy it needs from the protein and burns the carb stores, aka fat. My problem with this diet is the lack of fruit. I realize fruit has a higher carb content but its good carbs not white bread!

So I guess my question is has anyone else tried this diet/ were you successful/ what did you think?

Replies

• squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I have done Atkins (similar) for about a year, found it extremely hard. I did lose about 25 lbs with it, but realized I can not restrict myself like that all my life. I could not imagine a life without chocolate, pastries, bread, carbs. I gained the weight right back and then some.

Only do this when you know for sure that you can stay away from sweets, cookies, pizza, etc for life, I say.

Also like you said, not eating fruit was absolutely terrible... I just don't believe in restriction. I believe in moderation.
  • oceanemma0703
    Options
    My mom did the atkins diet and she lost a lot of weight but she too couldn't stick to it. The thing about the dukan diet is once you reach your goal weight (in my case 145lbs) You add in bread and fruit again and adjust to portion control with them then after a while you have one day a week where you eat anything you want like pizza, it includes this transitional phase to keep you from binging as soon as you hit your goal. But the problem is it's straight veggies and protein until you reach your weight which for me is 120 days so really 4 months with no fruit and bread....I think the transitional phase will help I'm just craving fruit like a crazy person and I haven't been on the diet long =p
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    With Atkins there is also a transition phase into maintenance. But for some people (like me :P) it would take very, very long to hit goal weight. I think as a "quick fix" it is a good way to lose weight, if you can transition after your goal weight,