How to handle weight loss compliments

Options
czechwolf52
czechwolf52 Posts: 194 Member
I've lost 10 lb so far and I'm about 15 lb away from my goal. It's been a hard 6 weeks but I'm loving the way that I'm changing and feeling and people are starting to notice. After being at school for 2 months I was just home for break and people started asking me if I've lost weight. Today when I went to my aunt's house for Easter, I wasn't even in the door 10 seconds and the first thing she said to me was "Wow, have you lost weight?" Inwardly I love the compliments, they encourage really me but, I'm rather shy, even around my family. My weight loss was mentioned a few other times and I love how my family is happy for me, but how do I take the compliment and then try to politely talk about something else? There are several major family events this summer so I know it's going to come up again and I want to be better prepared for next time.

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Try this:

"Thank you".
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Smile and say 'Thank you.'

Don't give in to the temptation to deny that you look good. Don't give in to the temptation to go into a long explanation of what you've been doing. If they want to know they'll ask, and you'll tell it briefly.

But mostly, just 'Thank you.' Maybe 'Thanks, I feel good, too.' With a big smile.

Then go into the bathroom, shut the door, and do a little happy dance.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Yep. "Thank you" sums it up pretty well. I usually add "I've worked really hard" on to my thank you but then again no one has ever accused me of being shy!
  • alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Also, be prepared to answer to comments like "you lost weight. you look sick. how do you feel?". My aunt, bless her heart. She is wider than she is taller and somewhere between 350 and 400 lbs. Tells me that I look awful every time she sees me. And I am having to answer that I am on a managed weight loss program with total cholesterol at 138. This is about the only thing that shuts people up.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I don't see the problem, if I had that success I'd be talking about it non stop, but thats just me :)
  • NikinCilla
    NikinCilla Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Id :smile: & say thank you! Got to be better then "you have put on" or "you look sick".....embrace it be proud. I would too do the little dance in the bathroom hehe
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    People keep asking me how I did it - like what "diet" I'm on?

Discipline and exercise *****es!!
  • bnorris2013
    bnorris2013 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    What stinks for me is my hubby has lost 32 lbs and you can really tell on him that he lost 32 lbs I mean you can see it no doubt
    I have lost 26.6 lbs and you cant see it on me so it stinks watching people gush over wow you look great to my hubby and then oh yah you lost weight to as like a pitty sorry you dont look like you lost weight LOL

I carry my weight differently then my husband I know this and I am way shorter and I don't have the muscle mass he does so the time will come eventually probally another 10-20 lbs and people will be able to see the difference
  • icmuse
    icmuse Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Try this:

"Thank you".

^ You took it out of my mouth!
  • JosieJo2000
    JosieJo2000 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I get really embarrassed too. Sometimes I even where bigger clothes because I can't handle it! I even had the lady in the bakery making a big fuss and asking how I did it.

As the others have said, a smile and "thank you" works wonders. Sometimes I just say I've been training for triathlons (which is true) and the weight just fell off (stupid lie!).

It's been hard for me to accept I am thinner, I still feel like the fat girl. I think that's why I find it hard to hear the compliments, they don't seem real. Also, when people say "Wow, you've lost a huge amount of weight" it makes me think what they must have thought of me before and how big I really was.
  • AZ_Gato
    AZ_Gato Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Just say Thank you. If you're shy, I'm sure they're well aware of how you are. Otherwise, I recommend you print out copies of this thread and hand them out to them. Laminate them so that they don't get food all over them and then you can reuse them

; )
  • Sarah_L_S
    Sarah_L_S Posts: 121
    Options
    Try 'thank you, it's kind of you to say so'. It returns the compliment :-)
  • mackemom
    mackemom Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I feel great!
  • flower_chops
    flower_chops Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    People keep asking me how I did it - like what "diet" I'm on?

Discipline and exercise *****es!!

This is the one that gets me the most. As if I'm going to suddenly announce this new way of losing weight that involves absolutely no effort and works for anyone no matter their lifestyle. Ihaven't lost nearly as much as some of the super inspiring people on here but, like them, every lb lost was hard earned and I am PROUD of that. So should you be :)
  • ehsan517
    ehsan517 Posts: 114
    Options
    Try this:

"Thank you".

this.
  • GingerBiscuit_19
    GingerBiscuit_19 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Well I'd rather be told ive lost weight rather than being asked if I was pregnant, as I was asked on saturday! Cheeky bugger....
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Accept the compliments ... say thank you! You'll be an inspiration for others :smile:
  • cjransom
    cjransom Posts: 42
    Options
    The biggest issue I have had really is them asking me how. I've lost 67 pounds and it took me over a year to get this far. I've had a LOT of compliments and a lot of "How did you do it...". When I tell a lot of them they act like it's too hard or that they can't do it. That's been the weirdest thing for me.

For compliments I always say thank you. Just easier.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I would just say thank you.. unless people ask what you are doing, there isn't much to say.
  • ericnealdavis
    ericnealdavis Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    What stinks for me is my hubby has lost 32 lbs and you can really tell on him that he lost 32 lbs I mean you can see it no doubt
    I have lost 26.6 lbs and you cant see it on me so it stinks watching people gush over wow you look great to my hubby and then oh yah you lost weight to as like a pitty sorry you dont look like you lost weight LOL

I carry my weight differently then my husband I know this and I am way shorter and I don't have the muscle mass he does so the time will come eventually probally another 10-20 lbs and people will be able to see the difference

My wife is in the same boat. Just keep at it. She has been frustrated with the lack of pounds lost, but she just bought new jeans a size smaller than she used to wear!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!