Great South Run - training advice needed!!

Options
Hello and Happy Easter MFPers!!

So, it looks as though I have agreed to run the 10 mile Great South Run with a friend! Will probably run for a charity too, but haven't decided which one yet. I am so nervous - I have never run a proper race type run before! I am still fairly new to running, I can manage 2 mile trot on the flat fairly well now, and now have started on adding in some interval days and some hill days (well, the hill setting on the treadmill, but will add in hills outside when Im more comfortable with them). I'm not quick - around an 11-12 minute mile. 5k takes me around 35-40 minutes with a mixture of run/walk (more running than walking though).

If anyone has any training advice, I'd be so grateful! I work long shifts (12.5 hour days, so with travel I'm out of the house for around 14 hours, 3 days/nights a week - Im a nurse so cant train on my breaks either) so I can really only guarantee to train 3-4 times a week.

Also, does anyone know how hilly the GSR is?! Just so I know....!!! I know I said I haven't run a race before, but have a 5k fun run in the summer (Race for Life) and then my friend and I are planning on some triadventure trail runs after that, so I will have a little bit of race day experience by the time the GSR comes around. But I can't explain how nervous I am at the prospect of actually running in any of these! Going from unfit to a little bit fit has improved my confidence but I am still terrified!!

ANY help will be gratefully received!

Han x

Replies

• neilvv
    neilvv Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    It's billed as fast and flat so no worries about hills! From my limited experience i would say don't be concerned about speed only distance. I personally started running in October and have managed to run 4 half mile distances now in October i ran less than 1 K. The way i did it was run every other day increasing distance pretty much every week. Once i had managed the 5 k i just kept adding distance and never worried about speed. I think my first 5k i clocked in at 37 mins but now i can do it in 22:20. I did this without hill runs or interval training i just kept adding distance to my runs. Hope this helps you !
  • Hannah7783
    Hannah7783 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks Neil

I'll try and concentrate on the distance. I just did my 2 mile route with only around a minute or two walk time, so plan next week I'll add another half mile in and see how I go!

Thanks for your advice!
  • Hannah7783
    Hannah7783 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Anyone else?! I really need as much help as humanly possible!! :-)