Is my food intake balanced?

Options
Take a look at my diary today,
I took around 1070 calories today,
of which 51% carbs, 26%proteins and 23%fat,
is this balanced?
i indeed feel guilty when eating meat (especially beef!)
but am i doing the right thing?

Replies

• tonytoo
    tonytoo Posts: 307
    Options
    As long as the meat is virtually fat free and full of protein, you can eat it all you want really. It's kind of self governing, in that you'll get full quicker and not want to each so much anyway.

I think your current balance is good!

but, yes, that beef does look a little fatty! :p change it for pork?
  • hhayes06
    hhayes06 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Your balance looks good but you need to eat more. Eating less than 1200 is only going to hurt you in the long run and it's not sustainable. Keep up the exercise, eat back your exercise calories and you will be swimsuit ready in no time. Good luck.
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    As long as the meat is virtually fat free and full of protein, you can eat it all you want really. It's kind of self governing, in that you'll get full quicker and not want to each so much anyway.

I think your current balance is good!

but, yes, that beef does look a little fatty! :p change it for pork?

Why does the meat have to be fat free? Fat is good for you. It keeps you full. Yes, if it's got 20 grams of fat in one little piece its obviously not the best choice for you, but fat actually helps aid digestion, and hundreds of other things. The reason why people say not to consume a lot of red meat is because it's often higher calorie (because every grams of fat is 9 calories) and because it sometimes contains injected hormones. Fat will not make you fat. There are better sources of fat (such as avocado), but meat fat is still just a fat. No harm.

Edit: I just re-read what Tonytoo said, and it seems he was more referring to the amount rather than the danger of fat. I decided to leave my message in anyway in case you were unaware that fat is actually healthy for you and won't make you fat :) But yes, a lean protein source such as chicken breast will allow you to eat much more and gather more protein than red because of the calorie differences. That's not to say you should never eat red meat. Red meat contains iron (and I think magnesium, not quite sure about that one) which are both very useful in health.

Good luck!:flowerforyou:

I think your balance is good, however I think you're eating a bit too little. This is just personal opinion, but you look decently tall so I'm not sure what your BMR and TDEE are. The general rule of thumb is not to dip below your BMR in net calories. Which is usually above 1200 for most people.

Don't feel guilty eating beef/meat. Just make sure you're eating lots of veggies, and cut out those white/refined carbs. Get them from veggies and whole grains instead.
  • tonytoo
    tonytoo Posts: 307
    Options
    Fat will not make you fat. There are better sources of fat (such as avocado), but meat fat is still just a fat. No harm.

Agreed. Nothing wrong with some good fat at all! I eat 80g of peanut butter most days. :)
  • Mikemax125
    Mikemax125 Posts: 108
    Options
    An increase in calories would be reccommended. Fats are not supposed to be totally avoided. Fats play key roles in immune health, joint support, affects your mood. Good fats will burn fat.
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Increase your protein and calories.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Whats your weight? Hard to tell u how many calories to eat if we dont know your weight....

I dont follow ratios....

1 gram protein per # LBM
    0.4 grams fat per # BW
    fill in the blanks with crabs and whatever else

regarding fat.. yeah, fat is good... fat is NOT filling, as one person said. fat is actually the least satiating of all three macros (protein being the most filling food)..
  • beskinnyzoe
    Options
    Whats your weight? Hard to tell u how many calories to eat if we dont know your weight....

I dont follow ratios....

1 gram protein per # LBM
    0.4 grams fat per # BW
    fill in the blanks with crabs and whatever else

regarding fat.. yeah, fat is good... fat is NOT filling, as one person said. fat is actually the least satiating of all three macros (protein being the most filling food)..

currently 113-114lbs