Sandbagging Cats?

Options
So, one of my friends has been posting all these great links to sandbag exercise routines on youtube, and I totally want to try it, so I've been looking around the house for something about 20lbs to start with. (I don't want to pay $100 for a sandbag). I was just going to put something lumpy and unstable in a gym bag with handles, since a lot of the DIY videos suggest that.

But then I remembered that my cat is about 20lbs, lumpy, wiggly, and unstable. Could I put a harness on him, and use him for a sandbag? He's totally up for any kind of attention (he's a bit of a *kitten*), so I don't think he would mind.

Has anyone every tried this? Any recommendations on what kind of a harness I could use, so I don't hurt him?

Replies

• Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Harnessing cats is tricky, even that would probably provide a good workout. But, if you get them in the harness, I don't see why it wouldn't work.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    While I totally support involving your cat in exercises, I would caution there's a risk of injury here. You could strain your tendon with that unstable of a weight. The cat might not like it either.
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    I need to google sandbagging.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    This exercise might be helpful, perhap for upper body day?

6nbOtlUl.gif
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    I need to google sandbagging.

Just don't accidentally google teabagging. Bad idea.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Oops, misread that as teabagging cats.

I'll be leaving now.
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options

I'll be leaving now.

yikes!
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options

6nbOtlUl.gif

I'm going to add that to deadlift day!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

6nbOtlUl.gif

It would be even better with 2 cats - one for each hand.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

6nbOtlUl.gif

It would be even better with 2 cats - one for each hand.

I could do that - I have 3 cats. They aren't equal in weight though - I'll have to swap hands each time, so each side gets an even workout.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    My cat wouldn't even need a harness, she loves it when you pick her up by her tail and swing her around. Comes running back for more every time!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I've seriously heard of this. Pictures of guys who use their cats as squatting weights! My cats are too squirmy - except for my big one. But I think she weighs 15 pounds - too heavy and too awkward to use for that.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    I actually have a cat who would love this. As he is a bit of a fatty, maybe you could use him if your cat doesn't work out?
  • Bubbaluh
    Bubbaluh Posts: 39 Member
    Options

I'll be leaving now.

I was a little dissapointed too :c
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmmm. The only problem is I'm doing New Rules of Lifting for Women and need to increase the weight as I get stronger.

Does that mean I have to buy a bigger, fatter cat or simply overfeed the one I currently have so her weight continues to rise in line with my fitness levels?
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    My fat cat is fine with being used as a bench press. I do curls and tricep presses with him sometimes but I have both hands under him to balance him. (Not so much for exercise as for entertainment.) If you tried with a harness, though, all the weight would be on his shoulders and I don't think that would be comfortable for the cat.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    Options
    My fat cat is fine with being used as a bench press. I do curls and tricep presses with him sometimes but I have both hands under him to balance him. (Not so much for exercise as for entertainment.) If you tried with a harness, though, all the weight would be on his shoulders and I don't think that would be comfortable for the cat.

What about one like this?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSTuysh_OKI9XRWz5JpV7Dv6rrDQjfOj40fZGdDZ9L85OHo7HiKyg
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    Options
    oooo - maybe this one?

webmaster_red_Zoom.jpg