STUPID SCALE!!!!!

Options
I get that lots of people say just ignore the number on the scale, it's only a number...it doesn't tell you how fit or how healthy you are. I was weighing myself everyday and have switched it to every couple of days, but I just can't get past it. I want to be fit and have a small number on the scale too! How can I change my thinking to be healthy, and not just a stupid number on the scale?

Replies

• NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Throw it out the window.
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Only solution is: throw it out, ask your boyfriend/husband/girlfriend/mom/roommate to hide it for a month. Stop complaining :)
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I don't know but I'm going through scale withdrawals because mine broke. I was reluctant to get one at all because I get obsessed with it- now it's broken and I miss it. I'm trying to resist buying another one because I know it's not a healthy obsession.
  • ladypenel
    ladypenel Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Throw it out the window.

This, but be careful who is passing at the time ( could also count as exercise if repeated enough)
  • Proyecto_AN
    Proyecto_AN Posts: 387
    Options
    The number on the scale don't make you better; positive changes in your body compositon does. The only scale you really need is one for food.
  • sylviatx
    sylviatx Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Switch to weighing once a week and tell yourself, it's only a number. The main thing is that the trend line stays flat to down.
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Throw it out the window.

This, but be careful who is passing at the time ( could also count as exercise if repeated enough)

:) This seriously made me LOL!
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    Don't throw it out the window, it is not the scale's fault, it is an honest reporter of what you don't want to know. Embrace it like a friend, praise it when it brings good news and when it brings bad news, tell it you know it won't be long before it brings you good news again. And lo and behold, you will become reconciled to your scale and the two of you will work in harmony until you are only providing it with half the work you do now, and it will thank you for that.
  • 4ME77
    4ME77 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I had a scale obsession too with the #, now I have learned that it's about how I feel & how my clothes fit...NOT the #! Now I am past that since I can hardly stand the disappointment. Now I weigh twice a month...so far it has worked...
  • curvykim78
    Options
    The number on the scale don't make you better; positive changes in your body compositon does. The only scale you really need is one for food.

I have a food scale and use it daily. :)
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry. I know how frustrating it can be when the number doesn't move. Been there, done that...... not much you can really do except stick with it and refuse to give up. Good luck to you. You will succeed at this! :flowerforyou:
  • jsbieniek
    jsbieniek Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I struggle with the scales too. I take measurements of my bustline, hips and waist just to keep track of that too. And that helps but when you have weight to lose you still want to see the number go down. It's how we identify with weight loss! Try keeping track of measurements too, it gives you something else to focus on and when one doesn't budge it's nice to see the other one moving!
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I so am with you! I HATE HATE HATE the bloody scale. I weighed again this morning, and it hasn't budged, BUT I've been injured for 3 weeks, so I guess I should be happy. :sad:

I'd suggest you pick a pair of too-tight pants and take a good gander at yourself in the mirror with them on tomorrow morning. At the same time, same day two weeks from tomorrow, put them on again. See any difference? That is much more helpful to me personally than a scale. Good luck! :drinker:
  • kharper85
    kharper85 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Have someone take monthy pictures of you (front and side). They are the best judge of your progress.
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Take measurements. :)
  • LeahT84
    LeahT84 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Only weigh yourself once a week, in the morning, right after you go to the bathroom. It is pointless to weigh every day because you will fluctuate and you're not going to burn 3500 calories (1 pound) in a day. If you weigh weekly, and keep your goals doable (such as 1-2 pounds a week) you will feel better about yourself and the numbers on your scale.
  • curvykim78
    Options
    Take measurements. :)

I do take measurements. I'm currently doing Insanity and running as well. I log all my calories on MFP too.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Take measurements instead.

It IS just a number, but I understand your frustration.
    I hid my scale.
    I'm thinking of donating it, I don't want to let the numbers rule my life.
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options

I hid my scale.

Problem is measurements are also just a number, they fluctuate too, particularly stomach measurements as I have found, and can be very difficult to take accurately and repeat. I love my scale, I weigh every day when I am home, I understand the fluctuations, I also am interested in the trend, as long as it is downwards long term I am happy.
  • curvykim78
    Options

I hid my scale.

Problem is measurements are also just a number, they fluctuate too, particularly stomach measurements as I have found, and can be very difficult to take accurately and repeat. I love my scale, I weigh every day when I am home, I understand the fluctuations, I also am interested in the trend, as long as it is downwards long term I am happy.

Everything fluctuates and I get that, but I want to stop re-losing the same weight over and over again.