How do you get your protein?

Options
What are the best protein bars - low calories, low sugar, low fat?

What about beans - canned or cooked fresh?

I eat a lot of yogurt and salmon, but looking for other ways to get more protein.

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I sometimes have protein bars as a snack, or if I'm having a low protein day, or need something after a workout, but they're not an every day thing. The "best" protein bar would be one you like that's not insanely high in calories or sugar. I'd make sure it had at least 14 grams of protein, probably. My main sources are egg whites, lowfat dairy (yogurt (Greek or otherwise) and cheese. Occasionally cottage cheese), extra lean ground beef, extra lean ground turkey, turkey bratwurst/Italian sausage. Beans are a great source. Nuts and nut butters are good as well. I fix shrimp on occaision, and sometimes have chicken (canned) or tuna for lunch. I also eat a lot of deli meat.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I rarely have protein bars anymore. Now and again I make my own but I try to get protein from other sources.

I get protein from beans (I used dried and than sprout them for the most part) or from nuts or seeds. I used to get a decent chunk of protein from eggs and protein powder however I am trying to stay away from those now.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    lean meats, dairy, and plant sources. sometimes i eat more soy than I get from dairy in a day.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Things that had a mother.
  • ncl1313
    ncl1313 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Everything JenMc14 said, except I hate yogurt and canned tuna. My go-to quick protein is a cup or two of skim milk, especially since I usually have plenty of carbs to spare, or a couple slices of deli meat. If I've got fat to spare, I'll eat a spoonful of peanut butter. I don't want to do protein bars or shakes, so it is kind of difficult to hit that protein number every day. I eat lots of eggs, boneless, skinless chicken breast and fish.
  • tenintwenty
    Options
    Protein powder mug cakes. Literally my favorite food.
    Chicken breast
    Canned tuna
    Egg whites
  • musycnlyrics
    musycnlyrics Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of turkey and chicken...When I do have beans, I use canned, low sodium versions (kidney beans are my favorite) or I will have fresh navy beans/white beans (these i dont cook, but my grandmother or mother will cook for me)

I also have protein shakes, egg whites and oatmeal
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    You can stalk my diary if you need ideas. Do note that I deliberately screw up my macros on Sundays for the hell of it.

I get my protein mostly from cheese, lean turkey, lean chicken breast, fish and eggs.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake after my morning workout (GNC Total Lean) and then throughout the day I have black beans in my lunch, hard boiled eggs, edamame and beef jerky for snacks and a meat for dinner.
  • cidalia73
    cidalia73 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    - Dairy - as for yogurt, go for Greek style - at least twice the protein of regular yogurt
    - Eggs
    - Occasionally soy
    - Lean Meats
    - Fish and other seafood
    - Nuts and nut butters

I don't do beans/legumes much because of IBS, but if they're not a problem for you, then that's certainly an option.
  • ctpeace
    ctpeace Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Things that had a mother.

If you're looking for the highest protien foods, this. Dairy and any legume (including soy) will also give you a fair dose of carbs, as will a lot of protien bars. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but if you're trying to get more protien without other stuff, lean animal protien is the way to go. Also, egg whites are basically pure protien.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Salmon, beans, beef, chicken....if its tasty I eat it. Whey protein smoothies sometimes too. I like Luna Bars for a snack now and then but don't rely on them for a major protein source, I get plenty with regular meals.
  • DJoyner260
    DJoyner260 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Two protein shakes a day and the rest comes from chicken,eggs, fish, some pork, and turkey. Some of it I try and get out of my carb heavy foods i.e. brown rice, brown rice pasta, english muffins, eggo protein waffles. Also get some out of the Kale in my salads.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I love the 100 calorie Cottage Cheese Doubles, especially the cottage cheese and peach ones. and sometimes protein shakes, Fish, lean meats.
  • DJoyner260
    DJoyner260 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Clever!!!
  • CMay16
    CMay16 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, canned tuna or fresh salmon, quinoa, chia seeds, eggs, milk (when I have it), chicken, all kinds of beans/legumes, turkey.
    Proteins of all walks of life. :happy:
  • jkirby79
    jkirby79 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Two protein shakes a day and the rest comes from chicken,eggs, fish, some pork, and turkey. Some of it I try and get out of my carb heavy foods i.e. brown rice, brown rice pasta, english muffins, eggo protein waffles. Also get some out of the Kale in my salads.

If I eat like that will I look like you? :)

Btw, I saw your pics and wanted to mention that I went to USC (the REAL USC). I love the pic with Ray Tanner. I have a back-to-back national championship poster sitting in my office signed by Ray Tanner and Jackie Bradley Jr.

GO *kitten*!
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I like cooking beans in a slow cooker. It takes 6 hours but it just chills there. Also, it lasts me 1.5 weeks.
    One major source of protein is non-fat cottage cheese. I think half a cup contains 15g of protein. Around there.
    I love getting protein from chicken, super lean ground beef(for burgers), and fish(catfish/tilapia/salmon).
  • brendabryden
    brendabryden Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your ideas. I am looking for ways to stay feeling full longer; because lately I have been feeling hungry all the time. I only have 10 pounds to lose so I am eating my 1,500 calories; but not staying full.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I like luna bars, 10g protein, lots of flavors. Sometimes I use them as a quick breakfast with a piece of fruit.

Beans: I prefer homecooked. I just think they taste better, but I use canned beans if I don't have cooked on hand since they take awhile. I like black and pinto best.