Skinny jeans for pear shape?

Options
I'm thinking about buying my first pair of skinny jeans, the thing is I'm pear shape. I have bigger thighs and a butt. I've never even attempted to try a pair on.
I'm afraid that I'm going to look huge, but I love the way they look with heels and flats.

So to all the pear shape ladies, do you wear them?

Replies

• cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I would never wear a pair of skinny jeans. Not only would I look horrible in them, but they'd be uncomfortable since the legs wouldn't be big enough. They're usually cut for women who are more narrow through the hips and thighs. I had a pair of leggings that I wore with a big tunic and boots when I weighed 165, and looking at old pictures, I realize I looked like a bowling pin. Pear shapes are best balanced with a boot cut jean or a straight leg that is a bit relaxed. I try to avoid tapered/skinny looks.
  • stinasn
    stinasn Posts: 14
    Options
    I honestly don't think skinny jeans look good on almost anyone. I'm pear shaped and never wear them, my sister is almost exactly my size and shape and she sometimes wears them and every time I think how not flattering they look. I do think they can look ok on anyone if you wear them with for example boots and a long, thick sweater but otherwise, don't like them.
  • jules3point3
    jules3point3 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Try on a pair of not your daughter's jeans. They are life changing. I have very wide hips, thin legs and have the typical Brazilian *kitten*. Every other pair of skinny jeans look like a bad 80's throwback nightmare. NYDJ look amazing and I get compliments every time I wear them.
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Instead of telling you how NOT to wear them, how bout how to look GOOD in them?

"Start with a pair of jeans that fits your body properly; pay particular attention to the hips and thighs -- skinny is not synonymous with tight. You should be able to walk and sit and eat in your skinny jeans. Look for a pair with a wee bit of stretch, to give you some flexibility."

http://seriouslysassymama.com/2011/09/20/skinny-jeans-for-a-pear/

Finally- Balance.
    Rock the jeans with a tunic top or something. You can wear them.
  • Melanya7
    Melanya7 Posts: 24
    Options
    I went to a Levi's outlet store and wanted to buy bootlegs or something like that a few months after I gave birth. The sales lady looked at me like I was crazy and pointed to an extremely small row. I figured that should tell me something, so I was determined to find a pair that was ok. She measured me, they have this new fit thing called CURVE ID. I tried a few pairs and found the draker wash to be more forgiving. I bough one size that fit and a size down for motivation.

I find coupling them with a blousy top and tall boot over them seems to balance out the shape. I actually really like them now!