Looking for friends who knit and love cats

Options
SRH7
SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
I want to change career and start knitting sweaters and socks using cat hair.

It might sound daft but the two things I love most in life are my cats and knitting, so it makes sense.

I'm looking for friends who might be able to advise me on what the best breeds of cat are for this (long-haired, I assume but are any particular breeds the best for thickness?)

Also, what diet is best for my cats to make sure I get a good "harvest" of fur? Paleo? IIFYM? Pop Tarts?

TIA

Replies

• MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I'm halfway there, but knit with dog hair. As we're already in British Summer Time I'm looking towards the lighter coated breeds - although with the weather we're having, despite it being the 1st of April, I'm finding my Husky jumpers are still proving to be a big hit..
  • SRH7
    Options
    That's fantastic advice. I hadn't even thought about the seasons. I'm wondering if it might be an idea to buy a selection of different cats then so I can make sure I sell and market my products well all year round.

I'll PM you about this :)
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I don't know about sewing cat hair, but Oskar the Cat and his family do cat ties.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT9JQlMsLACuODoM-UEvMoRdR9ojj5LzYLqlVzjBn4BR0KbQ5L7CQ

Oskar the Cat is a blind kitty who made Youtube and FB records. The video of this little guy is so adorable it actually makes me cry everytime I see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNpeTCEPrRk

(Seriously now I'm going to watch it and be all teary eyed.)
  • kimpossible471
    kimpossible471 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I can wholeheartedly recommend the fur of my yeti. It very quickly felts when rolled and would make an excellent yarn. I can shave him and send you an initial harvest to test out.

I've gotten these fine results from a diet of beef jerky and hard salami.
  • kimpossible471
    Options
    PS - it dyes well too.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I don't know about cats but I have a chow with an amazing undercoat. You could spin it to make yarn. I have a really good sock pattern I can share too!:)

E4B1C5F2-FD08-4302-9273-09692BF78B49-558-000001178081C2BC_zps9c44ea42.jpg
  • SRH7
    Options
    I can wholeheartedly recommend the fur of my yeti. It very quickly felts when rolled and would make an excellent yarn. I can shave him and send you an initial harvest to test out.

Wow! That sounds perfect. I'm wondering if it's the fat and high protein content of the jerky and salami that makes a good harvest?
  • SRH7
    Options
    I don't know about cats but I have a chow with an amazing undercoat. You could spin it to make yarn. I have a really good sock pattern I can share too!:)

E4B1C5F2-FD08-4302-9273-09692BF78B49-558-000001178081C2BC_zps9c44ea42.jpg

Ah, so that's what they're called. I always refer to them as "Teddy Bear Dogs" but suspected that wasn't their real name. So unbelievably cute :smile:
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    My kitty has been growing hers out for Fe-Locks of Love. Cats without hair is very sad.

images-5_zps3e709c9b.jpeg
  • SRH7
    Options
    I don't know about sewing cat hair, but Oskar the Cat and his family do cat ties.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT9JQlMsLACuODoM-UEvMoRdR9ojj5LzYLqlVzjBn4BR0KbQ5L7CQ

Oskar the Cat is a blind kitty who made Youtube and FB records. The video of this little guy is so adorable it actually makes me cry everytime I see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNpeTCEPrRk

(Seriously now I'm going to watch it and be all teary eyed.)

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo! He's seriously cute but is it kind? Poor thing.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I love that idea - I'm going to send you a friend request so I can arrange to send you my cats fur :drinker:
  • kimpossible471
    Options

Wow! That sounds perfect. I'm wondering if it's the fat and high protein content of the jerky and salami that makes a good harvest?

It's almost certainly the fats and oils...and regular baths.

Yetibath_zpse6a9cc9f.jpg

I have noticed significant thickening of the soft undercoat over the winter. If you were to get several Angoras, and cycle the temperature in your home, you may be able to get more than 1 large annual harvest.
  • SRH7
    Options
    DOqezGU.jpg
  • SRH7
    Options

It's almost certainly the fats and oils...and regular baths.

Yetibath_zpse6a9cc9f.jpg

I have noticed significant thickening of the soft undercoat over the winter. If you were to get several Angoras, and cycle the temperature in your home, you may be able to get more than 1 large annual harvest.

:laugh: And this is why we are friends!
  • Dreamthief1
    Options
    I know this is an old thread but it made my day , thank you :laugh: :happy: :flowerforyou: