Help Please!

Options
Been on myfitnesspal for a while, not new to exercise or dieting. I'm in the military so working out is sort of standard. The problem is that my youngest son is going to be 4 this year and I am still struggling to lose weight! My sister introduced me to the paleo diet last year and I've been consistently sticking to it. I cut out all processed foods, dairy, and sugar. I've been doing the Tapout XT2 workouts for the past five weeks and I also do cardio during lunch (run/elliptical). My calorie intake is between 1400-1700 daily. Y weight has stayed at 160 with no changes to my measurements and it is getting extremely frustrating. I have weigh ins twice a year and since I had my son I have just barely squeaked by each time. My max is 152 or max body fat of 33% (at over 35% by the military's calculation). I am at a complete loss right now and looking for any advice, information, support I can get! Thank you!!!

Replies

• kazzie3179
    Options
    I am not an expert but I would say if what you are currently doing isn't working then you need to change something. It sounds like you are doing a fair bit of exercise so I would look at your diet first. I can't remember the % exactly but I think it was something like 70% of weight loss is about our diet.

For me (and my sister as well) seems that we have better success if we reduce the amount of carbs we eat. Granted I have a lot more to loose so it is easier to see results for less effort. But I have been a lot lower trying to get those few Kg's off so I know it is a lot harder!

I just started a challenge at my gym (though like you I am not new to exercise or dieting) and interestingly they are saying diet mix should be different depending on what body type you are ...

Pear Shape - 60% carb, 20% protein, 20% fat
    Apple Shape - 40% carb, 30% protein, 30% fat
    Ruler Shape - 30% carb, 50% protein, 20% fat

So honestly I would look at other diets or the mix of what you are eating.

Be accurate as possible on what you are eating. I know I can get it wrong by just guessing how much I have eaten so I do weigh my food.

Also look at the net amount of calories you are eating (after exercise). if you can afford it having a heart rate monitor you use during exercise can give you a rough idea on that.

I hope that helps.

Good luck.
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Have you been logging in your food everyday?
  • CCusedtodance
    CCusedtodance Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    My guess is you aren't eating enough, therefore your body has put itself into "starvation" mode and is reserving every ounce of fat it can.. I get 1580 calories a day and I do not come close to your level of exercise, yet I have lost nine pounds since I joined MFP the end of February. You need to learn about BMR and TDEE. Do a search on this site for TDEE and BMR, there is a wealth of information about it.

Here is an excellent post to read also.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/713460--eating-back-exercise-calories-simple-breakdown

This next link will help you estimate your calorie requirements. Figure out your calorie requirements, take that number and times it by 10, 15 or 20% (choose 10 for .5 lb and choose .20 for 2lbs, whatever works for you) then minus that number from the original figure. That is the figure you can start with to lose the weight.

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html
  • izzylew
    izzylew Posts: 30
    Options
    you might already know this, but i'm going to throw it out there anyways, if youre doing the same exercises your body gets used to it so nothing is going to happen or change, maybe try a new exercises? have you tried yoga? or maybe a cardio hip hop class or something, but not at a gym b/c those dont count as real yoga or dance classes
  • bmendoza1245
    bmendoza1245 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I do log my food everyday, but I went back and looked at my food logs and I am way under my calorie goal because of not eating back the calories I burn through exercise!!! This certainly does make me feel silly, but hopeful that I can fix this and get back on track! Right now I want to finish the tapout XT series (3 weeks left), and then I'm considering going back to Crossfit but I do mic up my workouts with boxing and weights as well. I log my food every day and I usually have a 40/30/30 split on carbs/fat/protein. I really appreciate everyone's input and advice!! Looks like I need to eat more!