Cats and Toxins

Options
LoraF83
LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
So, you always hear that pregnant women shouldn't clean litterboxes because of the toxins in the cat feces and urine, right?

That got me thinking - if cats have so many toxins in their bodies, shouldn't we be trying to eliminate those toxins? That can't be healthy for the cats. And it's so inconvienent for the husbands to have to clean the litterboxes for 9 months. Wouldn't it just be easier for everyone if we got rid of cat toxins?

What are some ways we can accomplish this? I was thinking that shakeology might be a good choice. Or a cleanse program. Any other suggestions?

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    The Acai Kitty Colon Cleanse. I bet cats love it.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    you'd have similar problems if you pooped in a litter box and didn't clean it after every use though...
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Lol! Kitty diet tricks ahahaha! My BF won't come near the catbox. Says the fumes aggravate his lungs. If we could find a cure for this, I'd definitely be interested in knowing.

That said, I think they make speciality cat litter to control smell (which would I think at least control fumes and toxins.) Arm and Hammer makes a fantastic multiple cats litter.
  • KittenTikka
    Options
    Just get rid of the cat. That would solve the problem of cat-toxin build-up. Or remove the litter tray...but that risks the toxins building up in the cat and the cat exploding, which would be disastrous as you'd have to evacuate the whole neighbourhood because of fall-out
  • LoraF83
    Options
    Lol! Kitty diet tricks ahahaha! My BF won't come near the catbox. Says the fumes aggravate his lungs. If we could find a cure for this, I'd definitely be interested in knowing.

That said, I think they make speciality cat litter to control smell (which would I think at least control fumes and toxins.) Arm and Hammer makes a fantastic multiple cats litter.

Even with special litter, pregnant women aren't supposed to clean them. The government doesn't even want pregnant women to be around cats, really: http://www.cdc.gov/healthypets/pregnant.htm

But, if we got kid of the kitty toxins, that would solve the problem right?
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options

I thought they made toothpaste...wait...toothpaste colon cleanse?
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Its actually a specific bacteria cats tend to have in their gut, dangerous to pregnant women. But hey...whatever gets me out of litterbox duty...I was pregnant once...25 years ago...
  • LoraF83
    Options
    Its actually a specific bacteria cats tend to have in their gut, dangerous to pregnant women. But hey...whatever gets me out of litterbox duty...I was pregnant once...25 years ago...

So, we need to get rid of that specific bacteria. Would shakeology or BBV be better for that?
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I usually flush out Nadia's toxins with a liter of vodka!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    you'd have similar problems if you pooped in a litter box and didn't clean it after every use though...
    Do you speak from experience?
  • LoraF83
    Options

I'll read that, but it seems they are looking for help with hairballs. I'm concerned about toxins. Two totally different things.

Try to be more supportive please.
  • sinistras
    sinistras Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    The pregnancy and not going near litter box thing only applies to women who actually eat the feces of cats who've been infected from eating infected vermin. Most pregnant women do not crave cat feces, and most house cats don't carry these diseases.

Anyway, tired of these April Fools cats posts...but had to correct this one cause it's a big urban myth. Sorry, preggos. You still can clean the litter box...
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options
    omg leave the cats alone...
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    As a husband, I installed a cat flap.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options

Egads. Make sure you buy a separate toothbrush and mark it appropriately.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

Egads. Make sure you buy a separate toothbrush and mark it appropriately.

LOL! They do make cat toothbrushes and cat toothpaste. It smells gross, though, often in flavors like salmon or chicken. We buy them hard treats that are designed to clear off plaque. Unfortunately, not much to be done to flower up their poop. *sigh*
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options

I'll read that, but it seems they are looking for help with hairballs. I'm concerned about toxins. Two totally different things.

Try to be more supportive please.

Hey OP, just because you don't like the answer given by this poster, that's no reason to get so 'catty' Next you'll be posting that everyone on MFP are 'cat haters' and 'so mean'

sheesh. I would just dunk the cat in the bath every day and be done with it - clean cat.

:laugh:
  • LoraF83
    Options
    The pregnancy and not going near litter box thing only applies to women who actually eat the feces of cats who've been infected from eating infected vermin. Most pregnant women do not crave cat feces, and most house cats don't carry these diseases.

Anyway, tired of these April Fools cats posts...but had to correct this one cause it's a big urban myth. Sorry, preggos. You still can clean the litter box...

But the government tells me not to: http://www.cdc.gov/healthypets/pregnant.htm
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    I usually flush out Nadia's toxins with a liter of vodka!

No wonder you make her stay inside!