Day 1 of Sugar Free April

Options
MikeInAZ
MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
Day 1 of Sugar Free April. After reading the packages of food I would have though to be sugar free, I find that EVERYTHING has added sugar to it. Campbells Light Soup for example. Canned green beans for example.

My plan is to avoid as much sugar as possible. Not eating any foods like cookies, crackers, ice-cream, etc that have known/added/a lot of sugar. My goal is 30 grams of sugar a day or less. That includes eating fruits, veggies and dairy with sugar naturally in it.

Who else is in with me? Any suggestions, comments, tips?

- Mike

Replies

• electricello
    electricello Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm with you!
  • rsto95
    rsto95 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good for you. But that really isn't needed with proper exercise. Just cut your calories every day. I cut sweets out of my daily diet nearly a year ago. I used to have a desert every night, but not anymore. I only eat a cookie or ice cream a maximum of two times monthly and that's when I go to a party or special occasion. Yesterday was Easter and I resisted any type of desert.

Just find your maintenance calories and cut it by 500 calories a day. You will lose a pound or more a week. With exercise, even more can be lost.

I'm on a cut right now because I just got done with a winter bulk for weightlifting. I eat all clean stuff. Mainly chicken, turkey, ham, fruits, vegetables, and similar foods. Still eating the same type of foods, just 500 calories less then my maintenance. A week into cutting and I can already see better ab definition.

The most important thing of all is NOT eating over your calorie goal. You can eat 2,000 calories in cookies if that was your cutting goal and you still would lose weight. Wouldn't suggest it though because of the other health effects it may have.
  • nkotarsk
    nkotarsk Posts: 2
    Options
    Very inspiring!
  • nkotarsk
    nkotarsk Posts: 2
    Options
    Great idea & start to a clean eating month! I'm interested! Sugar is my downfall!
  • UsernameStillLoading
    UsernameStillLoading Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Good luck...stick with veggies
  • clzonk
    clzonk Posts: 2
    Options
    Good luck :) RIght there with ya!
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    good luck but i love my apples far to much to give up sugar
  • MikeInAZ
    Options
    Good for you. But that really isn't needed with proper exercise. Just cut your calories every day. I cut sweets out of my daily diet nearly a year ago. I used to have a desert every night, but not anymore. I only eat a cookie or ice cream a maximum of two times monthly and that's when I go to a party or special occasion. Yesterday was Easter and I resisted any type of desert.

This isn't about losing weight, although I suspect I will. This is a personal challenge. Also to see how my body reacts, it's about cleansing, it's about maintaining a steady blood sugar level. Mostly, just a personal challenge!

BTW, I do a HIIT Boot Camp 2X a week, and usually 2 other days of hard cardio like trail running and or mountain biking. So I'm getting plenty of proper exercise.
  • MikeInAZ
    Options

Well if you're avoiding processed foods with added sugars, corn syrup, etc. Then you're ok. An apple has the fiber in it to regulate your blood sugar when you eat it. So I say as long as you're not over eating them, you're fine!
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I am trying to do this for April as well. I do love apples though, and any other fruit. Personally, I don't really count those against myself, I should just cut down on the sweets and added sugar stuff.
  • DanusiaSchafer
    Options
    I'll do it! I have such a headache from Easter candy and alcohol that it would be a relief to feel normal again! So, I'm in.

And thanks for the inspiration!

Good luck to all of us!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I'm with you, but as much as I'd like to eliminate all sweeteners in one fell swoop, I'm going to have to start with chocolate, other candy, and sugar, honey, and maple syrup that I add. There are so many processed foods I eat with some kind of sweetener added: Tomato soup, bread are two examples.
  • ktully93
    ktully93 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I'm with you! I started cutting down on sugar back on March 13th. I have found my appetite has been suppressed so I don't want to eat " all the time" like before. My desire for sweets has pretty much disappeared. I eat fruits only on the weekends in order to keep my sugar consumption between about 15-20 grams per day during weekdays. Even though I cut down on fruits, I am making super healthy food choices mainly lean proteins, veggies, and legumes.
  • MikeInAZ
    Options
    If you're interested please join the Sugar Free in April group to stay connected:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/13299-sugar-free-april-2013
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I eliminated sugar from my diet over one and a half years ago. It wasn't easy. Sugar is in just about everything, as you pointed out. Even at organic, health food stores, you have to read every label. They seem to think organic cane sugar is a good ingredient! Even in otherwise wholesome looking products! The only way I found to really do it is to go to a diet of whole, natural foods, and prepare almost everything yourself from scratch. Decide if there are any sweeteners that ARE acceptable to you. I sometimes use products with a little agave nectar in them. Agave nectar has the drawback of still being processed, but it is very low on the glycemic index. There are other lower-glycemic sweeteners put there, too, but I barely use any agave nectar, even. I drink my green tea straight, for instance.

I have lost 181 pounds since eliminating sugar and all the foods that contain it, and going onto whole, natural foods.
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    bump
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Be cautious. I have been sugar free virtually carb free for about two weeks. While I have seen marked improvement in physical feeling, I have found myself terribly depressed, and also aggressive, and easily angered. I suggest going to whole foods only, and allowing some fruit. At least one serving a day.
  • AlicesNirvanaHealthWellness
    Options
    , i am really trying to limit the sugar in my household, but i too am a fruit person, i like my oranges, apples, a grapefruit, maybe some grapes,,,i'm trying to up the veggies ,,, i don't drink soda, and don't bring it in the house (i have two teenage daughters),,,
    i'm in for trying to cut the sugar, (especially HFCS) but i don't know if i can wipe out my fruit
  • MikeInAZ
    Options
    Be cautious. I have been sugar free virtually carb free for about two weeks. While I have seen marked improvement in physical feeling, I have found myself terribly depressed, and also aggressive, and easily angered. I suggest going to whole foods only, and allowing some fruit. At least one serving a day.

I suspect some of the depression is just with drawls from sugar. Give it another week or so, I bet it passes. What's your exercise regimen look like? I was feeling a little down myself today. Then I went on a nice long run and it really pepped me up!
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options

Well if you're avoiding processed foods with added sugars, corn syrup, etc. Then you're ok. An apple has the fiber in it to regulate your blood sugar when you eat it. So I say as long as you're not over eating them, you're fine!
    haha bro i dont even count sugar i probably get 80+ grams a day with the cereal in the morning and 3 or 4 apples a day idc about the sugar i workout enough for it to not be a problem