4th of July helppppp

Options
I just need some help making it through 4th of July weekend with out all the typical hot dogs, hamburgers, dips, and drinks. I'm visiting my family and then going away with my boyfriend and friends after. What are some healthy alternatives?

Replies

• areay22
    areay22 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Instead of regular sausage, my husband and I bought turkey sausages.
  • dezilou_2000
    dezilou_2000 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Veggie platter, shrimp platter, turkey sausage, turkey burger, veggie burger.
  • SilverRoxy
    SilverRoxy Posts: 64
    Options
    I hear you!! I'm still recovering from Memorial Day and a recent vacation...now the 4th is lurking around the corner.

I would just suggest bringing some of your own things to munch on make sure you have a fat free dip, maybe a tray of melon with non-fat yogurt dip. A Caprese salad always goes over big at parties (sliced skim mozzarella and tomatoes...just be careful with how much olive oil you drizzle on it.) Oh, and for something more substantial, I'm making my own buffalo bites. Just take a package of skinless chicken tenders, cut them up in bit size pieces, cook them in a fry pan with PAM (or grilling would work), salt, pepper, and cover with a sauce made of low fat blue cheese dressing (Marie's low fat yogurt dressing is good for this) and Frank's Red Hot. Of for a treat, grill up some shrimp kabobs marinated in lime juice, salt and pepper.
  • Vegebel
    Vegebel Posts: 15
    Options
    Bring a healthy dish to share and let that be your main source of food in case everything else falls into the zillion-calories zone. It's always easy to pick up a fruit or veggie tray on the road too
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Pork chops or flank steak
  • isislc
    isislc Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Turkey sausages are great but they do seem to taste a little bland to me. If you look, Jennie-O does sell X-tra Lean Spicy italians but they are hard to find. :)
  • S_H84
    S_H84 Posts: 75
    Options
    Personally, when there is a BBQ with my family or friends, I eat a hamburger.... It's not like we grill out often and I just consider it my cheat day for the week (which I have one/week).

However, what if you bring your own chicken breast with? They can throw that on the grill for you and you can bring a nice healthy salad for everybody as a side (which is also going to be your side ;) ) Or make a chicken sandwich out of it. I don't know if you eat bread though.
    Or chicken or shrimp kabobs. You can make them at home with chicken pieces, bell pepper and onion. It is also something nice that other people can eat.

That is all I can think of for now :)

Good luck.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Portion control and pre-planning is always good:flowerforyou::wink: Keeping in the front of our mind it's merely food and we can eat food every day of the week but if we overeat we'll have to do all the hard workout all over again. :ohwell:
  • hotonice
    hotonice Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP AND SUPPORT :)