Allergies, asthma, just plain can't breathe!

Options
2»

Replies

• MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Sunnyskys, I'm going to copy and paste that into a document and try various things on it. My asthma is mild, it must be, I've only tried an inhaler once, after that all the doctors I've been to just kept trying to treat the sinus/allergy part. But over the past few years it does seem to be getting progressively worse.

If I must I will go to a doctor and I will get a steroid inhaler. But I really don't want to have to. What I want is a little relief so I can hold on until I move somewhere nice and clean. Oh, and cold. I know most people with asthma do worse in Winter, but I'm a weirdo, I'm fine in the Winter, sick as a dog when it's hot.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    BTW my 5 year old had asthma for the first four years if her life, until we started eating gluten free last year. Within about 3 weeks her asthma was gone and hasn't come back. I couldn't tell you the last time she had to take her inhaler, before going gluten free it was every day.

I wish that worked but I was pretty much gluten free since June except for a month or so (because I was doing low carb), no luck. Allergies and asthma were just as bad as before.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I have to take simbicort daily and use albuterol on humid, cold, high allergy days. I also take zyrtec b4 bed. Asthma sucks, i know. Focus ur breathing while u exercise. 3 breaths in 3 breaths out. Do intervals instead of distance running. I do 60 sec on 30 sec off. I also crossfit. The simbicort has helped me significantly.
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I hate how pricey my Advair is, but without it, I can't breathe. I'm chained to a nebulizer every 4 hours. Even with insurance, it's $100 a month. I also take the generic over-the-counter Allegra... NOTHING else works, not even Benadryl.

So... what I've found helps me a lot is cardio. Everyone wonders why I do an hour plus of cardio and then lift weights? Because I can breathe that way. I have actually started pushing the bike quite heavily, and it's gotten to the point where I'm on half-dosage of the Advair. (note, it also took about a year in the gym before my asthma improved, and I still cannot run....) I'll find out how much my capacity has improved in a month or so. This is also why I only work out in the gym. Working out of doors is a death sentence, thanks to the cottonwoods and ragweed. UGH. Sadly, also... my kitties passing away last year has improved my lot at home. :(
  • GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I have issues with what I *think* is exercise asthma. Tight chest, struggling to breathe after you've stopped, no issues outside of exercising or heavy activity, etc.

I find intervals help to relax or stretch chest muscles, helping with breathing easier. Going hard for a minute or so, then slowing down for the next minute, helps catch my breath so I can keep going. I don't know if that's the issue here, but there are muscles associated with breathing that you can exercise too!

To help asthma, maybe some house plants or a purifier to help remove the allergens? Humidifier too if you air is dry. If you recognize when you're having an attack, focus on breathing along with your heartbeat. Breathe in for two beats, out for two. Keeping a list of the worst exasperating things could help as well--whether you get rid of the issue, however, could be up to you =)

I hope this helps some!!
  • sunnyskys2013
    sunnyskys2013 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    BTW my 5 year old had asthma for the first four years if her life, until we started eating gluten free last year. Within about 3 weeks her asthma was gone and hasn't come back. I couldn't tell you the last time she had to take her inhaler, before going gluten free it was every day.

I wish that worked but I was pretty much gluten free since June except for a month or so (because I was doing low carb), no luck. Allergies and asthma were just as bad as before.

O sorry to hear that. Mine isn't gone ether and i have been gluten free for 15 month's. But i do have it better controlled now then i ever have.Cats, pollen, mold and dust are all triggers for me. But for my little girl gluten must have been a trigger.
  • rekite2000
    rekite2000 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I use mint (gum, candy, teas) and hot steam (my asthma responds well to hear- I know some people it can make it worse). I use to take singular, Allegra, Flonase, and advair so I understand. It sucks! Thankfully it has improved as my healthy habits have increased!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    If you have a cat in the house. Get rid of it.
  • MMAQueen
    MMAQueen Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    a LOT of people have had success with reversing/minimizing allergies by removing dairy and or gluten from their diet.

I don't have sciencey links to back this up, but I've read a bunch of studies / news articles and have a brother in law who suffers from ashma and allergies and his symptoms are greatly reduced when he doesn't consume dairy.
  • CCusedtodance
    CCusedtodance Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    A Benadryl (not the generic store brand either) a night--it makes you sleepy so use only at night-- works during allergy season for me. Zyrtec or Allegra never cut it and Benadryl is the only thing that works. I was even told by a doctor to take it when I broke out in a rash from some pain medication, it worked and I have used it ever since.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,012 Member
    Options
    I'll apologize up front and say I didn't read all the replies, so if this was mentioned already..uh oops.

I used to have allergies fairly seriously - for a couple months in the spring and fall I was miserable and popping pills and always had a headache.

My remedy is/was Neti Pot. Serious. Drug free, and it works great. You can use it daily or ten times a day, there are no side-effects to worry about.

You might be better off logging off MFP today - if cats bother you. :ohwell:
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I've never found one that works. I've tried it all and pretty much have to moderate myself when my allergies/asthma kicks in. I just do walks and a bit lighter lift on those days. Luckily it doesn't happen too often.
  • Insanity2bSane
    Insanity2bSane Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I have a son who suffers from asthma as well as allergies. Allergic to everything. I try not to do the steroids unless absolutely necessary but when it high allergy season like right know I have seen that it really helps to get him on a maintenance medication. Right know he is on Qvuar and Flonase. (He's only on these when the asthmas really acts up. When I'ts controlled I take him of the medication.)This really helps keep asthma attacks under control otherwise if he has an asthma attack then I have to do the steroids. As far as natural remedies I also do Allertonic which is for allergies and supports respiratory systems. I also boil water and add a few drops of teat trea oil, eucaliptus oil and rosemary oils. Then he inhales the steam. It helps clear out sinus and helps him breathe better.

I always try to the alternative medicine but remember that sometimes it's also necessary to do conventainal medicine. Also it's important to control what triggers allergies or asthma. Outside your home you can't especially if it's allergy season but inside the home you can. Was linens at leas once a week. Hypoallergenic pillows and covers are a must. Dust and vacumm frequently. I don't use harsh cleaners when cleaning either. Laundry detergent I don't use anything with color colors or scents in it. I think also that clean eating really helps with the allergies. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I take symbicort. It's the best drug ever! 1 puff twice per day and I never get wheezy or tight, unless I come into contact with animals and even then it's a lot less severe than it used to be.

In terms or allergies you need to get rid of the allergens that affect you. Dust mites are a big trigger for me too. Best thing I ever did was get an anti allergen foam mattress and pillows.

Good luck, it's not a pleasant feeling. And very dangerous if not controlled. But I guess you know that? Breathing is pretty important! :wink:
  • hmlane31
    hmlane31 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have recently decided to take up jog/walking to start training for a 5k. I am a beginner and need some advice. I have exercise induced asthma and am finding it hard to continue my exercise routine. I have a ventolin inhaler that I can use, but is not really a "rescue inhaler". I need some tips from anyone with EIA on how to control my breathing so I don't feel like I am going to suffocate while jog/walking. I also need advice on how to get rid of the annoying, but ever present "side stitch".

Thanks!
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    My allergist put me on Dulera twice a day for my asthma, I take zyrtec daily for my skin reaction to water (I'm sure it helps keep down the rest of my allergies), and she recommends that I use a neti pot (I actually have on that is a squeeze bottle instead of the neti pot, it works better for me) with a warm saline solution one to two times a day as needed. She's tried all the nasal sprays on the market and they don't help (over the counter vicks nasal spray seems to work though.) But I can't take decongestants at all due to a pseudoephedrine allergy (not fun finding that one out the hard way!)
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I have recently decided to take up jog/walking to start training for a 5k. I am a beginner and need some advice. I have exercise induced asthma and am finding it hard to continue my exercise routine. I have a ventolin inhaler that I can use, but is not really a "rescue inhaler". I need some tips from anyone with EIA on how to control my breathing so I don't feel like I am going to suffocate while jog/walking. I also need advice on how to get rid of the annoying, but ever present "side stitch".

Thanks!

I don't have EIA, so I can't advise on that...though I wonder if there's breathing techniques you could learn, or use a rescue inhaler before a run.

As for the "side stitch", I still get them on occasion, but they've improved as I've gotten more fit and can run longer distances (I run 5k distance at least 3 times a week-started training at beginning of the year). Best thing to do is to slow your pace, but not stop (just run through it), and work on breathing and exhaling as deeply as possible while running. Making sure you're hydrated enough before a run helps prevent them.
  • gritsinct
    gritsinct Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm glad (and sad) to find out I'm not alone in having so much trouble with running and breathing this time of year... and how other people are dealing with it. (I am responding so I have this thread... some great info here!)