Spinach and cats

Options

Replies

• Syriene
    Syriene Posts: 238
    Options
    My cat LOVES the crabgrass and wild onions growing in our yard. He always tries to run outside whenever we open the door, but on the rare occasions that he has made his escape, we can simply scoop him up from the bottom of the steps where he is eating the weeds.

Be very careful. Wild onions can be just as toxic as regular. Seen too many kitties get sick.

http://www.mypetsdoctor.com/onion-toxicity-in-dogs-and-cats
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I wish I could get my cat to eat veggies.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Have you had your cat spade? Maybe she's anaemic from her TOM and needs iron?

It's great you can get it to eat green though.

I used to think my cat objected to eating anything green, but someone told me they're colourblind so I'm not sure what her problems is...

I forgot to add, it's a boy. So definitely not an iron deficiency.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    only you can control what your cat eats!

a cat is like a child - you the parent - controls that matter!

you cat doesn't try, HE/SHE IS A CAT!!

Well, if he is not willing to do anything to help himself, why should I expend any effort to help him. He has to want the change for himself, or it will never stick.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    It worked for Popyee. Now you just need to get your cat lifting weights so he can bulk up...
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options

My dog eats apples. and carrots. but not lettuce or spinach.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    My cat loves spinach. He knows when I'm making a salad and comes bounding into the kitchen. He'll reach up to my plate and try to steal leaves and begs until I share. He hates lettuce. Why would he like one and not the other? Is this indicative of some sort of deficiency in his diet? Is this safe?

On the plus side, he's not as hefty as he used to be now that his favorite treat is spinach rather than ice cream. Thinking of renaming him 'Popeye'.

Depends on the tpe of lettuce. Iceberg has little nutritional value aside from the fiber. Spinach on the other hand is a veritable delicacy of micronutrients. Your cat is probably looking for something he is lacking. What regular food do you serve him?

I have one cat who detests and will not ever eat human food OK. He will drink the tuna juice I squeeze from the can. The kitten on the other hand steals any human food she can get her paws on.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    "Spade" is a digging implement. "Spay" is a neutering surgery, after which the animal is "spayed".
    Thank you.
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    We have six cats (three are outdoor toms that we started feeding)
    Suki eats carbs. like; bagels, popcorn, pasta.
    Ziva is a turkey/ham kinda kitty.
    Cap'n Jack eats ANYTHING.
    My outside boys, Beauxregard, Buster, and Bobtail are forever in my garden. they like to roll in my tomato plants.

Kinda like people-anything in moderation (except things that are severely toxic like raisins, etc.)
    Just google "toxic foods and plants for cats" and keep them in mind :)

My mom's cat, Suki, has a severe heart murmur and arthritus due to a crushed hip as a kitten. She is ten this year, and wont take her arthritus meds without me sprinkling it on things like cream cheese, whipped cream, or cheese. Sure, these things arent ideal for a cats diet, but just a smidgen for her to take medicine (especially consifering how particular she is) isnt abiggie.
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    My dogs love the ends of asparagus, raw broccoli stems, some lettuce, and the stems from spinach. Basically, they get the bits I would throw away. I am careful not to give them too much, but my place has desert landscaping so there's no grass for them to eat and they really seem to crave a little bit of roughage. They enjoy the crispy greens with a lot of moisture in them. One of them really likes apple slices, but I can't give them apple cores; the seeds are not good for them.

The cats have never shown the slightest interest in veggies, but I buy the little containers of wheat grass for them (the people grass is cheaper than the cat grass.)
  • YAYJules
    YAYJules Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I have a cat that likes to eat bell peppers and another who likes to eat cakes and cookies. Cats are just weird. The same cat that also likes bell peppers will eat paper like it is a drug and the cake cat eats hair off the floor -_-

Cats are just weird xD

One of my cats eats plastic bags. Not just chews - eats. I have to keep them away from her, because I'm scared she will get a blockage.

I had a cat do this as well. Cleaning up puke-bags in the beginning was no fun.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Try catnip. Wholesome.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I thought veg's were not a good idea for cats.
  • SNorris01
    SNorris01 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I cannot get my cat to eat anything unless I put Catchup on it...
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Do not put catchup on your cat.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    My cat loves spinach. He knows when I'm making a salad and comes bounding into the kitchen. He'll reach up to my plate and try to steal leaves and begs until I share. He hates lettuce. Why would he like one and not the other? Is this indicative of some sort of deficiency in his diet? Is this safe?
    My wife's cat loves spinach. I thought this was just something all cats liked. No?
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    My cat LOVES the crabgrass and wild onions growing in our yard. He always tries to run outside whenever we open the door, but on the rare occasions that he has made his escape, we can simply scoop him up from the bottom of the steps where he is eating the weeds.

Be very careful. Wild onions can be just as toxic as regular. Seen too many kitties get sick.

http://www.mypetsdoctor.com/onion-toxicity-in-dogs-and-cats

I've been walking him about 1-2 times a week for a year so far, and he hasn't been sick once. Little guy is built like a brick, and ALWAYS hyper! I think he thinks he's a dog.
  • SNorris01
    SNorris01 Posts: 97 Member
    Options

It is made without any HFCS so should be healthy right?
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    You don't know me, or my cat! You don't know how he yowls for another block of cheese, or claws at my leg while I order a pizza until I have to order him his own medium cheesy crust with sausage and ham! I love him and want him to be happy. Cat food smells gross, why would I make him eat that?

Do you think you could tempt him with coco-pops? I had terrible trouble trying to ween mine off double pepperoni calzones until I tried him on coco-pops. Now he's a slip of a thing as you can see from my profile pic.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Have you had your cat spade? Maybe she's anaemic from her TOM and needs iron?

It's great you can get it to eat green though.

I used to think my cat objected to eating anything green, but someone told me they're colourblind so I'm not sure what her problems is...

LOL yes it could be TOM but also theres nothing wrong with some spinach in your kitty's diet. I would add more kale though or some chard. Variety is the key to your cat going from fat to PHAT