increase protein intake without also increasing fat?

Options
I am trying to hit 100 grams at least of protein each day... with 300 g of carbs and 45 grams of fats..... I am so struggling with how to increase my protein intake to meet that but without also taking in more fat...?? Sheeesh.... its probably something really simple and right in front of me.... but please bear with me and just point it out.... Thank you... :)

Replies

• Tyggress73
    Tyggress73 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Drink protein shakes, mixed with water instead of milk. High protein, low carb and low fat. :)
  • RawMomma10
    RawMomma10 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    good idea.. I can cut out the silk milk..... from my smoothies... thank you!!! ANy other ideas?? :wink:
  • sweetzoejane
    sweetzoejane Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Fat is not bad for you.

0.3-0.5g of fat per pound of body weight
    0.8-1.0g of protein per pound of lean body mass
    The rest is carbs.

Focus on meeting fat (fat is good and important) and protein goals first, then let carbs fill in the rest. I struggle with it too, but I find I meet my goals rather well when I focus more on whole, nutrient-dense foods - meat, eggs, dairy, vegetables, nuts/seeds, fruit.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Nodding along to the poster who said fat is not bad for you. Also, in response to the person who suggested that protein shakes are low carb, low fat, not all protein powders/shakes are created equal, so be sure to read labels.

Lowfat/nonfat dairy and egg whites are easy, no/low fat protein choices. Chicken, shrimp and white fish are also good sources of lean protein. Extra lean ground beef and extra lean ground turkey are good as well. Beans a legumes are another source to try.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    You can add in a protein shake that way you aren't adding alot of fat or calories but adding in protein. It just depends on what type, but it's a good option if you're watching other macros.
  • RawMomma10
    RawMomma10 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the info.... my highest intake IS my fat and carbs.... which is why I wanted to find a way to increase my protein intake without adding to the carbs and fat parts... lol...I upped my whey protein in my smoothies to two scoops... :0)
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    tuna, salmon, chicken breast, and I use coconut/almond milk in my smoothies. :) You can do it I eat about 150g of protein a day
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Fat is not bad for you.

0.3-0.5g of fat per pound of body weight
    0.8-1.0g of protein per pound of lean body mass
    The rest is carbs.

Focus on meeting fat (fat is good and important) and protein goals first, then let carbs fill in the rest. I struggle with it too, but I find I meet my goals rather well when I focus more on whole, nutrient-dense foods - meat, eggs, dairy, vegetables, nuts/seeds, fruit.

tumblr_lwkz6567wh1r5tyyno1_400.gif
  • djsupreme6
    djsupreme6 Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    whey..chicken..fish..egg whites...get your greens like the spinach and kale...I hit over 60% everyday
  • robhow44
    robhow44 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Two suggestions:

1. Fage 0% Greek yogurt - no fat and loaded with protein.
    2. Egg white protein powder (with water) - I think egg white is better than whey (whey is much more processed and is dairy based).
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    grilled chicken or fish, egg whites, filet mignon or VERY lean sirloin isn't bad, non-fat greek yogurt, white albacore canned tuna.

One thing I do is to take a cup of non-fat, unflavored greek yogurt and mix in a scoop of protein powder for flavor. It is about 260 calories total, 14g carbs, 48-50g protein, and 0-2g fat. Makes for a pretty awesome post workout treat. You can even mix in a little almond or soy milk and make ice cream out of it.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    A double pork chop!!!!
  • Rmbleasdal21
    Options
    I eat Fage 0% Greek yogurt..and if I really need some protein, I will mix a little vanilla protein powder. :)

Other suggestions...egg whites, fat free cottage cheese, salmon/tuna, etc.
  • Derpinaaa
    Derpinaaa Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Lean chicken breast, and canned tuna/salmon will help get you protein with little fat.
    As mentioned before though, make sure you still include fat elsewhere in your diet.
  • crazy4fids
    crazy4fids Posts: 173
    Options
    A double pork chop!!!!

ON A STICK! Yeah! lol......Ever been to the MN state fair? Pretty much EVERYTHING is served on a stick!